What's new

Taobao here we come !

Just a note: One of the things that I'm hoping to accomplish here is to prove to myself and you folks that this TaoBao thing can work for us. A proof-of-concept for the skeptic (myself for instance). Hopefully, after this group buy, we'll all be more comfortable trying to use these TaoBao middleman companies to get better and less costly tea.

If this group buy seems like a bad idea then speak up, please! I'll probably be placing an order for myself regardless. I don't want to pressure anyone into spending more than they'd like but I can't think of another way to do this that is better. Ideas are being accepted :001_smile

Having bought from Tao Bao on a few occasions, there are good values to be had; however, as recent posts have shown, there are some risks. Also, our preferences for tea are highly subjective. In regards to the Ding Xing (I've only tried the Nada version), I personally thought it had good flavors but was a bit lacking in mouth feel and felt a bit thin. Might be good for somebody who wants to drink now, but may not have the oomph to age well (IMO).

If you don't mind spending a bit more money, but perhaps having greater peace of mind about the choices you make, you guys can do a group buy of single cakes and the cake can be split up. That way you can do an accurate vote on what you like about the tea, and not vote based on how pretty the colors on the label are.

That way you can do an accurate vote on what you like about the tea, and not vote based on how pretty the colors on the label are.

There are links to Hobbes' reviews of the teas. Many, if not most, of us follow his blog and can use his reviews as measuring stick. *** other criteria can I, who doesn't read any Mandarin and doesn't have the funds to pay a fortune for this tea from Nada, possibly use to make a purchase? All I can read on the Taobao page is the arabic numerals and a couple of characters. I seriously resent you implying that we are selecting based solely on "how pretty the colors on the label are."

It isn't like we are forcing folks to participate, either. I think it's pretty clear to everyone that neither TGY or myself have tasted a single drop of these teas before. It isn't even about sharing the risk because I'm going to purchase some cakes for myself even if everyone else backs out.

If you have any helpful input on how to select cakes for a group buy I'm all ears.

In regards to the Ding Xing (I've only tried the Nada version), I personally thought it had good flavors but was a bit lacking in mouth feel and felt a bit thin. Might be good for somebody who wants to drink now, but may not have the oomph to age well (IMO).

I'm always fascinated how different one tea can seem to different people!

The Dingxing is one of the few 10yo cakes I've tried lately that really has endurance and staying power - it went on for well over twenty infusions, tasting very solid throughout. In fact, I got tired and full well before the tea gave up, in both sessions I tried it! Few teas manage this, in my experience - the "cheaper" or "more processed / more mainstream" cakes are usually empty and dead by ten infusions at the most, especially if they're as old as this Dingxing.

Not only was it very solid in character, which I find to be one of the prime indicators of being a good candidate for aging, I found it to be surprisingly varied, too - it had floral hints at the back, a solid woodiness, and an enduring sweetness. Again, such complexity is a second (possibly subsidiary) factor in what I look for in a good aging candidate, after the aforementioned potency.

I managed all this without even using a particularly large quantity of leaves, indicative of the fact that the leaf has a good amount of content. More processed teas, as well as dying young (prior to ten infusions), typically require more leaf in order to maintain power.

I agree with Nada's description at Essence of Tea (Google Cache version here).

Hence, my amazement at the subjectivity of tea. It's as if you and I have been drinking two entirely different cakes. :)

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Last edited:

Hence, my amazement at the subjectivity of tea. It's as if you and I have been drinking two entirely different cakes. :)

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Should a sample be sent to Scotto for a final judgement on this one :ihih:? Just kidding!

... , who doesn't read any Mandarin ... All I can read on the Taobao page is the arabic numerals and a couple of characters ...

I would say even able to read the Chinese text, it really doesn't help to tell the difference between a good and a bad cakes, to choose genuine tea from fake one, to distinguish the truth from seller propaganda and informercial.

The only advantages is in doing the search.

There are links to Hobbes' reviews of the teas. Many, if not most, of us follow his blog and can use his reviews as measuring stick. *** other criteria can I, who doesn't read any Mandarin and doesn't have the funds to pay a fortune for this tea from Nada, possibly use to make a purchase? All I can read on the Taobao page is the arabic numerals and a couple of characters. I seriously resent you implying that we are selecting based solely on "how pretty the colors on the label are."

It isn't like we are forcing folks to participate, either. I think it's pretty clear to everyone that neither TGY or myself have tasted a single drop of these teas before. It isn't even about sharing the risk because I'm going to purchase some cakes for myself even if everyone else backs out.

If you have any helpful input on how to select cakes for a group buy I'm all ears.

I apologize if I was implying that you can't choose cakes. My suggestion for ordering single cakes first is to see which cakes you think are particularly good enough to warrant multiple (perhaps tong-level) cake purchases. That way you can possibly negotiate for a quantity discount.

The Dingxing is one of the few 10yo cakes I've tried lately that really has endurance and staying power - it went on for well over twenty infusions, tasting very solid throughout. In fact, I got tired and full well before the tea gave up, in both sessions I tried it! Few teas manage this, in my experience - the "cheaper" or "more processed / more mainstream" cakes are usually empty and dead by ten infusions at the most, especially if they're as old as this Dingxing.

Not only was it very solid in character, which I find to be one of the prime indicators of being a good candidate for aging, I found it to be surprisingly varied, too - it had floral hints at the back, a solid woodiness, and an enduring sweetness. Again, such complexity is a second (possibly subsidiary) factor in what I look for in a good aging candidate, after the aforementioned potency.

I managed all this without even using a particularly large quantity of leaves, indicative of the fact that the leaf has a good amount of content. More processed teas, as well as dying young (prior to ten infusions), typically require more leaf in order to maintain power.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Well, there are probably going to be storage differences between Nada's and 999's...so yes, we have been drinking two entirely different cakes:tongue_sm

Dear 'Hopper,

Yes, that's the vendor in question. MarshalN also ordered his 2001 Dingxing cakes from 999 Wo Xin Yijiu (which is where I obtained the original recommendation), and had the same good results that I did. I don't think it's cause for concern, to be honest. In fact, I woke up just now considering that it might be worth my while to buy a tong at 190 RMB (@ 1330 RMB / tong) from 999 Wo Xin Yijiu, rather than a tong from elsewhere at 260 RMB (@ 1820 RMB / tong). It's a risk vs. reward trade-off! I'll ponder it a little more. It's nice to save 500 RMB on a tong, and the cakes we've had so far seem very good... :ihih:

Monsieur, very interesting. Is there something in the 999 Wo Xin Yijiu product listing that indicates its fake status to you? I must admit that their product looked rather like that which you were discussing on your blog! The price is rather alarming, however, being RMB 190 for a supposed 1998 cake.

P.s. Did you enjoy the tea? I might have to perform a Taobao search for it, if so.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

I think Hou De did an entry on this, but I believe the difference between an authentic and fake '98 Yieh Sheng is the "yun" character. I think the real McCoy is done in simplified while the fakes are done with traditional. Obviously just because it has a simplified "yun" doesn't make it 100% authentic, but it's a good way to "weed" out the obvious fakes.

I apologize if I was implying that you can't choose cakes. My suggestion for ordering single cakes first is to see which cakes you think are particularly good enough to warrant multiple (perhaps tong-level) cake purchases. That way you can possibly negotiate for a quantity discount.

From feedback we have received, tong discounts are rather difficult to obtain on TB. One would have to haggle using the chat feature on TB. For us mandarin challenged B&B'er, this would be rather difficult :biggrin:! Still TB seems to be a rather competitive market place so pricing of recent puerh should be within the realm of the reasonable.

Let us not forget the noble saying in puerh tea; "A cake is a sample" :biggrin1:
No use in time, effort and shipping costs to give everyone 20g. of 4 teas to decide that we want them. And judging by Hobbes posts, I want them all.:tongue_sm

From feedback we have received, tong discounts are rather difficult to obtain on TB. One would have to haggle using the chat feature on TB. For us mandarin challenged B&B'er, this would be rather difficult :biggrin:! Still TB seems to be a rather competitive market place so pricing of recent puerh should be within the realm of the reasonable.

I've had some luck with asking Tao Bao Focus to negotiate with the vendors to get quantity discounts, when a friend and I were crunching the numbers on a particular cake.

I think Hou De did an entry on this, but I believe the difference between an authentic and fake '98 Yieh Sheng is the "yun" character. I think the real McCoy is done in simplified while the fakes are done with traditional. Obviously just because it has a simplified "yun" doesn't make it 100% authentic, but it's a good way to "weed" out the obvious fakes.

Well spotted, and I learn something new today.

Well, there are probably going to be storage differences between Nada's and 999's...so yes, we have been drinking two entirely different cakes:tongue_sm

Perhaps you and hobbes should also compare the brewing parameters just to see if there are any big differences? Sometimes different ratio and brewing time could result in a different tea experience for the same tea.

Yes and the nei fei is the other obvious let off :thumbup1:

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

I believe that it has a little to do with the tea and a lot to do with the water. I've been really impressed by a cake at my home, then prepared if for a friend many miles away. The tea was flat, thin and had no character even though I brewed it the exact same way. My guess is that my mineral-rich filtered tap water imparted a little more "oomph" to the tea, where his area had a totally different tap water low in total dissolved solids. I'd be that even if you and Maitre Tea had the exact same cake, you'd still get the same opposite results. Of course, we also all have our different preferences and tastes as well, which further complicates things a bit.

Thank you everyone who expressed interest in the group buy. We are no longer accepting applicants for this event. An email has been sent out to everyone who is in.

We will be sharing information and experience as we go through the process with Taobao Focus. For now, first things first, participants are in the process of voting for the teas to be included in the buy!

Thank you for everyone's feedback and input on the thread :biggrin:!

J

jaspert

such a shame it has been cancelled, i was reading up on it.

However now I want to buy in taobao on my own and find myself a good service to buyintaobao however there are many to be found.

Anyone with a decent interesting taobao agent who i can use to buy in taobao ?

What is the normal service fee? 7%? 10%? If anyone can help me that would be appreciated.

thank you

such a shame it has been cancelled, i was reading up on it.

However now I want to buy in taobao on my own and find myself a good service to buyintaobao however there are many to be found.

Anyone with a decent interesting taobao agent who i can use to buy in taobao ?

What is the normal service fee? 7%? 10%? If anyone can help me that would be appreciated.

thank you

I have used taobaonow but they only use EMS for shipping, which can be expensive. Many have used taobao focus with good luck. They allow for various methods of shipping. If you need further help check MarshalN's site for more info

Part 1
http://marshaln.xanga.com/719555394/buying-tea-from-taobao-1/

Part 2
http://marshaln.xanga.com/719664579/buying-tea-from-taobao-2/

For folks who are interested in a group buy on Taobao using Taobao Focus (test piloted by Dr. Hobbes), please identify yourself here. More information will be coming soon :biggrin:!

Group buying taobao? Great idea! Just found a new website dedicated to group buying taobao, www.wantrr.com sort of like tb focus, seeming in beta stage. wanna try it out and report back.

Top Bottom