What's new

tan tipped SS- real or imagined?

BINGO! That is my guess. Until I actually see a painted tan tipped SS in person I'll have to agree with Moses.

Well there is no denying that the razor exists. It is just if it has a painted tan tip or not. The razor in the pic I posted is a Regular and came in a tan case. That razor exists. It just may not exist with tan paint on the TTO knob.

Well there is no denying that the razor exists. It is just if it has a painted tan tip or not. The razor in the pic I posted is a Regular and came in a tan case. That razor exists. It just may not exist with tan paint on the TTO knob.

Well, yes. There is definitely a regular Super Speed, that goes in between the Red and Blue. And it came in a tan case at times. What I'm saying I don't believe exists is one with a matching tan painted tip.

-Mo

I need to ask one question - why is this such a big deal?

Its sort of a "If a tree falls in the woods..." - type of thing.

I'm not an expert, but I'm a little sceptical about a mass produced razor of which so few allegedly exist that no one's sure that there is such a thing - especially given the number of SS razors out there.

Also, from a marketing perspective, I'm a little sceptical that anyone would think tan would be a good colour to use to promote or otherwise diferentiate one SS from another. Blue, yes - black, yes - red, yes - but tan, no.

My $0.02 - let the flaming begin by all the believers out there.

Well, yes. There is definitely a regular Super Speed, that goes in between the Red and Blue. And it came in a tan case at times. What I'm saying I don't believe exists is one with a matching tan painted tip.

-Mo
The fact that none of use on the forums have seen one including Achim, and Cutting Edge with their fantastic collections makes one wonder. OTOH, you have Phillip Krumholz confirming to Mtgrayling that there is indeed a painted tan tip as indicated in his book. I guess it is one of those things that has to be seen to be believed. It certainly is odd that one hasn't turned up on ebay in anyone's memory.

Thanks Charlie for dropping in! :biggrin:

The tan tip controversy rages. Krumholz says there were SSs with painted TTOs but they have never been seen. There are razors out there like mine with a "tannish" coating of some sort (more of a tan wash) on them and in light of the fact that no one has ever seen a tan TTO the wetshaving faithful could be forgiven for thinking that the aforementioned razor must be the elusive tan tip. They definitely DO exist.

Charlie's theory about how the tan tip designation came about has also crossed my mind.

Guess we will never know.

I wonder if this is a good time to mention my Z5 puce tip? :rolleyes:

Thanks Charlie for dropping in! :biggrin:

The tan tip controversy rages. Krumholz says there were SSs with painted TTOs but they have never been seen. There are razors out there like mine with a "tannish" coating of some sort (more of a tan wash) on them and in light of the fact that no one has ever seen a tan TTO the wetshaving faithful could be forgiven for thinking that the aforementioned razor must be the elusive tan tip. They definitely DO exist.

Charlie's theory about how the tan tip designation came about has also crossed my mind.

Guess we will never know.

I wonder if this is a good time to mention my Z5 puce tip? :rolleyes:

Yes no one has seen one so there must not be one. BTW, anyone seen one of these before ? :biggrin: Yes it has Gillette stamped under the head.

Achim I thought you had one of those. Didn't you post a photo some time back asking about it and we came to the conclusion it was a long handle Aristocrat? Can't find the thread of course.

BTW, is no one going to ask me about my Z5 Puce Tip in the Hot Pink polystyrene case? :confused:

The tan tip is not a big deal, but it is interesting and fun to ponder.

My take is that they probably don’t exist. My only reservation is that Krumholz says they do. Sounds like (maybe reading between the lines) he was not in the mood to discuss the particulars on why he feels they exist. I wonder if he was given bum scoop and it somehow worked its way into the book.

In a shaving forum where we examine the most obscure minutia associated with shaving, a tan tip thread rates at least 130 posts. "What annoys you?" has earned 400 plus:wink:

I will be highly suspicious of the one that pops up on Ebay tomorrow. How could it’s provenance be determined? Do the red and blues have paint over a chromed tip, or is it primed and painted?

Regards,

Mike

The PM I received from Phillip simply stated that they were painted. If he had explicitly said he had seen one in person I'd have no doubts. With all the knowledge and collectors here I am very suspicious that no one has actually held one in their hand in the past 53 years.

I will be highly suspicious of the one that pops up on Ebay tomorrow. How could it’s provenance be determined? Do the red and blues have paint over a chromed tip, or is it primed and painted?

I believe the red tips are paint over brass, I'm not sure about the blue tips. Paint over aluminum possibly?

The PM I received from Phillip simply stated that they were painted. If he had explicitly said he had seen one in person I'd have no doubts. With all the knowledge and collectors here I am very suspicious that no one has actually held one in their hand in the past 53 years.

I believe the red tips are paint over brass, I'm not sure about the blue tips. Paint over aluminum possibly?

They are both painted over the chrome TTO knob.

Sorry, this is correct. I have seen some red tips with a brass knob, I guess that would make them brass tips? I just checked my red and blue tips and they are showing nickel through the paint, not brass.

Yes nickel not chrome. Sorry momentary lapse while logging in at work where there are chrome accessories arround. The metal is nickel.

I have two, NOS tan case Superspeeds. Both are '58s, no coating or paint and have the bright nickel TTO knob. I also have two '57s, NOS with the 'baseball' booklet that was packaged with some of these. Again, no coating or colored tip.

(Does anyone have a good source of Tan paint? :w00t: )

j/k

-- John Gehman

Achim I thought you had one of those. Didn't you post a photo some time back asking about it and we came to the conclusion it was a long handle Aristocrat? Can't find the thread of course.

BTW, is no one going to ask me about my Z5 Puce Tip in the Hot Pink polystyrene case? :confused:
Mark, when it comes to old Gillettes not much gets past you :smile: There was a thread on that razor some months ago. It was on ebay with a "buy it now" and it was on for maybe twenty minutes. I kept waiting for someone to pull the trigger and no one did so the RAD finally got the better of me and it now has an honored place in my collection. Don't ask me how it shaves. Since it was like brand new when I got it I haven't gotten it wet and I don't think I ever will. BTW, it has all of the usual Gillette markings in and under the head but no date code. It does have a notched bar.

I have two, NOS tan case Superspeeds. Both are '58s, no coating or paint and have the bright nickel TTO knob. I also have two '57s, NOS with the 'baseball' booklet that was packaged with some of these. Again, no coating or colored tip.

(Does anyone have a good source of Tan paint? :w00t: )

j/k

-- John Gehman

Would appreciate a photo of those with the baseball booklets, if possible, thanks! :smile:

As Jimmy pointed out, and recently also shown by Achim, there are variants that were either authentic Gillette prototypes, or razors that were custom modified post-production. How to decide which is which may not always be easy.

Top Bottom