What's new

taming errant mustache hairs

Hello everyone. I have begun to wear the mustache part of my goatee as a handlebar mustache & I was wondering what you gentlemen recommend to tame or remove stray hairs? Would a small pair of scissors like is found below work?

Thanx!
Charlie

http://www.joann.com/gingher-stork-3-1-2in-embroidery-scissors/3537222.html#q=Scissors&start=6
nice scissors, and yes you could use them. also, a good thing to have on hand is a good wax. i really recommend the firehouse wax, high quality stuff, but there are a lot of others.

I was recommended on Book Face a product called Got2be Glued. It is designed for hair spikes. Currently I am using some Lucky Tiger Cru Butch simply because I found it below my sink.

I trim my moustache and goatee with a pair of Fiskars 5" scissors.
Use small snips, no more than a half-inch at a time, and work across in a curve.
It might be hard to get everything even and symmetrical the first few times by yourself,
so get SWMBO or someone else to trim it for you until you get the hang of it.

First, I comb my circle beard into place, then trim around the outer and inner edges.
Then, I comb it backwards and do it again.

Also, get a small pair of electric clippers (Wahl Peanut is a good model),
and comb your beard into shape, then clip it ATG.

I don't use any sort of paste or wax or goop to hold my moustache,
but it is short enough that I don't need to.

Last edited:
I have yet to see a pair of those stork scissors that were any good at cutting with the tips.

Eventually that errant hair is going to grow back. I prefer to use more aggressive wax, like the 50/50 (by mass) mix of beeswax and coconut oil that I made.

strop

Now half as wise
Eventually that errant hair is going to grow back.

I've tried this without success. You have to keep trimming. For me at least, it was much better to try to control it with wax and let it grow out. The longer the hair, the easier to control in general. For me as well, the more gray I got the more wiry it got and the more strays there were to control.

Are you going to keep the goat? If not, grow all of the hairs out. The middle hairs will eventually grow long enough to comb to the sides and be used to help support longer growth. I use a regular wax in the middle and one with more hold on the ends.

proxy.php

I was recommended on Book Face a product called Got2be Glued. It is designed for hair spikes. Currently I am using some Lucky Tiger Cru Butch simply because I found it below my sink.
i think got2be glued is the best for me, i can either put it on and it will hold solid all day or let it dry and the kind of crack it and brush it out a little, then i get a very natural tame look. however, i think that when it was shorter like yours the wax was what i used. i can second the firehouse wacky tacky. to really handlebar you will need to let it all grow and keep the scissors and trimmers away. i have not cut anything thing on mine since February and the Got2be glued is my go to product... it takes no time in the morning and holds all day.

Are you going to keep the goat? If not, grow all of the hairs out. The middle hairs will eventually grow long enough to comb to the sides and be used to help support longer growth. I use a regular wax in the middle and one with more hold on the ends.

The plan is to keep to goatee. However, I know from prior experience that the bottom center will not grow in at all. Believe me I've tried.

Top Bottom