What's new

Tamales

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
That is a bit steep for shipping!!
A few years ago I paid more to ship tacos from Mission, Tx to New Hampshire than I did pies from California to New Hampshire.
I must be a lucky man. We have 3 or 4 Delia’s Tamales within 5 miles of my house.

And boy those chicken and cheese are special

My friend does a tamale that we love with chicken, green Chile, and a sliver of Wisconsin string cheese. Wow! Perfectly balanced so you can taste all four ingredients. I can eat a half-dozen easily.

Breakfast tamales for me are 'red pork'. They mix surprisingly well with a cup of coffee.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Some of the best times I remember are sitting outside at the ranch with my brother, father, and grandfather drinking coffee and eating tamales hot off the comal!!
Wonderful memories!!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Man, I sure do miss the tamale ladies who would come around the bars and sell wonderful tamales by the dozen.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
My brother is in the Valley today, that's McAllen. He just texted to let me know that he picked up 4 dozen tamales from Delia's for me. 2 dozen bean cheese and jalapeno and 2 dozen chicken cheese in spicy green sauce.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My sister in law makes the best I have ever had. Sadly, after the mother in law died, she stopped talking to my wife. She has always been jealous of my wife. My wife has a long, stable marriage, while she is divorced (and when she finds good guys she does things to drive them away).

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
My brother is in the Valley today, that's McAllen. He just texted to let me know that he picked up 4 dozen tamales from Delia's for me. 2 dozen bean cheese and jalapeno and 2 dozen chicken cheese in spicy green sauce.

We have 3 Delia’s near our home. Why make them?
The only problem is those tamales don’t last long!!
Enjoy.

Ha!
Never thought I’l be talking about tamales in this forum (or in any forum, to be honest)...my favorites are “oaxaqueños” (those wrapped with banana leafs); going to grab a couple for dinner tonight.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
My sister in law makes the best I have ever had. Sadly, after the mother in law died, she stopped talking to my wife. She has always been jealous of my wife. My wife has a long, stable marriage, while she is divorced (and when she finds good guys she does things to drive them away).

A guy can overlook a lot of 'stuff' for a chick that makes good tamales... ;)

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Aaron:
Mmmm, Mmmm, Good! Tamales from 'coast-to-coast'! :drool:

proxy.php
“Tamales: the original Hot Pocket". The Gospel of Tamales

I just noticed there's a whole chapter in Gran Cocina Latina dedicated to tamales. Labor-intensive though they may be, I may have to try my hand at these.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I sure do miss the days when I could sit outside at a bar or beer joint and expect a "tamale lady" to come by, selling home made tamales by the dozen. That was good living.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I sure do miss the days when I could sit outside at a bar or beer joint and expect a "tamale lady" to come by, selling home made tamales by the dozen. That was good living.
Yep, and at the barbershop on Saturdays. Back seat removed from the Ford LTD and some sort of warm box thing going on back there. She always had mucho dozens.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

Yep, and at the barbershop on Saturdays. Back seat removed from the Ford LTD and some sort of warm box thing going on back there. She always had mucho dozens.

Ha, yeah that's real good. I'm from South Texas. In grade school they served us tamales in the school cafeteria along with carnitas and carne guisada...no they didn't, we had canned spinach and fake strawberry jello.

Top Bottom