What's new

Tallow + Steel

I forgot to mention aftershaves.......The most profit made is in aftershaves.I am a Barber and an amateur perfumer.Recently I made a aftershave that wss as good as any I have ever bought and my cost on that was about 1.50.Look at aftershave prices they are rediculous.....believe me the bottles cost are far more than the contents.This has become a bit of a rip off at the current prices.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
Respectfully, this is a very broad generalization, and kind of apples to oranges, as all post-shave products aren't the same. Not to say that any aftershave retails for close to what they cost to produce, but the ingredient lists can be significantly different between products. One of my favorite Chatillon Lux aftershaves is little more than alcohol, witch hazel and fragrance. Cost me $16. Tallow + Steel post-shave has a much more complex ingredient list and cost me around $20. If I was going to make a case that one was overpriced, I would say that the CL has the crazy mark-up.
And could I make my own post-shave for a few bucks? Sure! Quarts of the stuff for less than $10.We ALL could. But even knowing this, many of us still drop coin in the matching post-shave product because we want to match our favorite soaps. And as long as there is demand, artisans will continue to make and sell product.
IMG_20210708_152550211.jpg
IMG_20210708_152435464.jpg

Tallow + steel is quite possibly my favorite shave soap in terms of the whole package scent wise and shave performance and feel but it is getting too expensive. Furthermore the designs on the jars were also rhe most attractive in the market to my eyes but the new change to package design is not to my taste.

Last edited:
I owned an essential oil company and I don't think that there are very many guys who could make a good aftershave or cologne for 10.00 a quart if they didn't have a background in the perfumery business.There is alot to it if you are a novice.....but if you have experience in scent and I mean experience then it might come together.Single drops of essential oil can ruin a batch.Chatillion Lux is a fine perfumer with alot of different very fine scents that I being experienced couldn't duplicate.Thats why they are very profitable more so than soapers.

I owned an essential oil company and I don't think that there are very many guys who could make a good aftershave or cologne for 10.00 a quart if they didn't have a background in the perfumery business.There is alot to it if you are a novice.....but if you have experience in scent and I mean experience then it might come together.Single drops of essential oil can ruin a batch.Chatillion Lux is a fine perfumer with alot of different very fine scents that I being experienced couldn't duplicate.Thats why they are very profitable more so than soapers.

I know what you mean, I tried to make my own aftershave with EOs and I think I did ok with the second attempt but the first was a disaster. It's easier just to buy the pre-formulated scents.

A good, simple aftershave can be made for very, very little money. There are plenty of posts on this board about doing exactly that. If one is attempting to create a good fragrance to add to the aftershave, well this is a different story. It takes time, effort and talent to create a unique scent from scratch. Sounds like you are aware of this already. But I don't see how your posts about aftershaves being a ripoff and perfumers being better than "soapers" are relevant in a thread about Tallow + Steel.

Last edited:
I think Tallow and Steel products are overpriced as are most of the artisan soapers.Where they really fail is when they venture into EDC.and EDT. products.Perfumery is a schooled craft that is expensive and precise.Soapers mostly start from simple trial and error till they get one base right then rescent it to their consumers tastes.Very few of the Soapers are adept at perfume creation hence look at Chatillion Lux collaborations......Talbot and Maoul.This thread goes where we take it.I suggest you invest into some base ingredients and try it yourself.

I originally got into wet shaving to save money. 200 soaps, a dozen razors, 50 brushes later, it didn't exactly work out that way. But I am getting the best shaves of my life so there's that. Anyway T&S is a wonderful soap and in my top 5 and I always enjoy using it, but at $8 oz I'm passing on future purchases. I can afford it, but with a 30 year supply of other soaps, it's just hedonistic for me. I'm in the process of downsizing and soon will be passing a lot of stuff on to the grandkids and other wet shaving converts as well as selling off some brushes and razors. I love the hobby but man its getting ridiculous for me to pay $24 for 3 oz of soap. I certainly don't have a problem with any artisan being able to do that, its just not the route I'll be going in the future. I have a pretty tough beard and have found that with a good quality mid aggressive to aggressive razor with the sharpest blades, I can do a BBS shave in two against the grain passes with almost any soap after years of practice without weepers or irritation so why spend $.60/shave when I can spend $.10/shave and get the same result. It's not big bucks in the overall scheme of things, I've just made a personal decision to divert funds elsewhere.
Steelhead......You are spot on!I like the way you stated everything.Lets face it alot of guys on here like Arko and Williams and will die for them.Alot of guys think that 28.00 a 4 oz. soap is ok too and the matching aftershave is fair.They just don't realize or won't realize they are getting hosed.But because they are spending ""good"" money on it they think thats ok .....good for them.In time when they have a cabinet full of soap and aftershave they will realize what I say is true.

I suggest you invest into some base ingredients and try it yourself.

That is just a really condescending response. You have absolutely no idea what my experience is with perfumery. Since you are making (false) assumptions, I'll correct you by stating that I have tried my hand at perfumery on many occasions, using both essential oils and the ingredients in the kits from Perfumer's Apprentice. Did I create a masterpiece? Nope, but even close. But that's not the point. I'm aware of how difficult it is to create a quality fragrance. I am also thousands of dollars in with high-end fragrances, from vintage Guerlian to Ensar Oud. These perfumes are as expensive as they are in part due to the work involved in creating a great fragrance AND is also based on the quality of the ingredients used. Regarding Tallow + Steel, they source quality essential oils from the region that their soaps represent, so it's not like they are using the cheapest EOs out there. I feel that their product is worth the premium, where as other manufactures are getting a pass using inexpensive fragrance oils and average quality essential oils. Not worth it to you? Don't buy it.
P.S. I also find it hilarious that you keep saying that people are getting "hosed" but the artisan "soapers" when a vast majority of the multi-BILLION dollar perfume industry is now based on getting as much money as possible for the crappiest synthetics on the market.

Last edited:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
The new scent was released today. Just in case there is enabling needed!
It looks pretty good. And no lavender scent. 😁

Encounter the rare citrus of Shikoku’s steep tropical mountainside with this vivid fragrance.

Enjoy. I’ll see you all on the other side of the mountain.

The new scent was released today. Just in case there is enabling needed!
It looks pretty good. And no lavender scent. 😁

Encounter the rare citrus of Shikoku’s steep tropical mountainside with this vivid fragrance.

Enjoy. I’ll see you all on the other side of the mountain.

I wish they would re-release Sàsq’ets. That lavender was incredible.

I was so much hoping for a scent profile similar to that of Kyoto and Yakushima for over a year. The latest offering was "very citrus heavy" and did not feature the green, woodsy notes of the previous Japanese series. Apparently, it was next to impossible to get all the EO's (imported from Japan) that were used for Kyoto and Yakushima. I didn't get the Shikoku but I'd like to hear what others say about the scent in the next couple of weeks.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I received my package! The label is very cool. Textured. The art work is fantastic. The scent of the as off the bottle is mild. Very citrus forward. It almost reminded me of their Sicily at first but it’s much more orange.
The soap matches scent wise. The soap was insane in terms of Cushing and glide. Puts to shame all commercial soaps and creams and most artisans. The scent was very forward upon face lathering. I got lucky with a good lather right off the bat. Super shave. The AS was just like what you would expect. The soothing splash. No burn. Great scent but it’s fleeting. No buyers remorse.

@Rhody I opted not to get the Shikoku scent because, based on the description, it was "much more orange" as you also said. Later on when it was sold out, I regretted not buying. I still have a little chance of getting it on BST's somehow. They say Sicily is a safer bet as it is not too orange forward and the scent is balanced by some floral notes. So I'm still debating between Sicily and Shikoku. It will be great if you or other members share which one of the two they like better. A great scent is enjoyed by sniffing right off the tub and during swirling the brush on the stuff not by reading the scent description. I often miss releases with great scents by reading too much into scent notes and descriptive paragraphs by the artisans.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
@Rhody I opted not to get the Shikoku scent because, based on the description, it was "much more orange" as you also said. Later on when it was sold out, I regretted not buying. I still have a little chance of getting it on BST's somehow. They say Sicily is a safer bet as it is not too orange forward and the scent is balanced by some floral notes. So I'm still debating between Sicily and Shikoku. It will be great if you or other members share which one of the two they like better. A great scent is enjoyed by sniffing right off the tub and during swirling the brush on the stuff not by reading the scent description. I often miss releases with great scents by reading too much into scent notes and descriptive paragraphs by the artisans.
Hello. Well they are similar but of course different. My second use of the Shikoku soap was not as powerful in terms of scent profile but I got a much better lather with a tad more water after thinking I did well the first time. The scent is much more orange forward I’m not great at scent description but definitely orange and citrus. But not dramatic in term of lemon. Now the Sicily (one of my favorites) is much more lemon forward. In fact the label says 20% lemon. And 21% orange blood. 24% bergamot as the major players. I’m not a fan of “floral” or overly floral and I love Sicily. My first exposure to T+S I was sniff testing in a store and I was so overloaded by the time I got to t/s and I think I got maya and was like yuck. But then later I tried Sicily and then was hooked. They are the only artisan I buy nowadays (due to cost and I really don’t need soaps) so all that being said I’d say either (or both) in terms of a safe scent that you won’t hate. I would give the edge to Sicily because it’s available however I note their site is closed accessible by password only now I’m assuming that’s temporary. Looks like they are setting up quicker shipping.

@Rhody, thanks for the scent comparison, I will definitely get the Sicily once the website is up and running. For Shikoku, I'll wait for a few more reviews and if the opportunity comes up, I'll just snatch it at a BST. It was a limited release so I should not be having a hard time to let it go in case I wouldn't like the scent.

Top Bottom