What's new

Tallow + Steel

I originally got into wet shaving to save money. 200 soaps, a dozen razors, 50 brushes later, it didn't exactly work out that way. But I am getting the best shaves of my life so there's that. Anyway T&S is a wonderful soap and in my top 5 and I always enjoy using it, but at $8 oz I'm passing on future purchases. I can afford it, but with a 30 year supply of other soaps, it's just hedonistic for me. I'm in the process of downsizing and soon will be passing a lot of stuff on to the grandkids and other wet shaving converts as well as selling off some brushes and razors. I love the hobby but man its getting ridiculous for me to pay $24 for 3 oz of soap. I certainly don't have a problem with any artisan being able to do that, its just not the route I'll be going in the future. I have a pretty tough beard and have found that with a good quality mid aggressive to aggressive razor with the sharpest blades, I can do a BBS shave in two against the grain passes with almost any soap after years of practice without weepers or irritation so why spend $.60/shave when I can spend $.10/shave and get the same result. It's not big bucks in the overall scheme of things, I've just made a personal decision to divert funds elsewhere.

The scents are hard to figure out.
I like fruit scents but not extra citrus. I don't see any samples available anywhere.

Love the product but not the price. I have the Boreal Forest and the sent is great but the performance is not so much better than average that I'll pay over $10/oz for another. It's a shame that so many of the artisan soaps these days are just too pricey. I've spent thousands on soaps and creams in the past but not in that headspace anymore.

Tallow and steel are definitely in the top of my favorite shaving soaps as they combine excellent performance, postshave feel and easy lathering with the best scents from essential oils. The other 2 being declaration grooming milksteak and ethos.

Love the product but not the price. I have the Boreal Forest and the sent is great but the performance is not so much better than average that I'll pay over $10/oz for another. It's a shame that so many of the artisan soaps these days are just too pricey. I've spent thousands on soaps and creams in the past but not in that headspace anymore.
Tallow + Steel prices are high compared to some artisans, but are a real bargain compared to others! 😁😁😁
Screenshot_20210706-085113.png

But one could also just buy samples of some of the pricier soaps!

Screenshot_20210706-114223.png

To be fair, I'm not trying to pick on Ethos or the people that chose to pay those prices. I'm just trying to illustrate the fact that the notion of something being "overpriced" is completely subjective.

The scents are hard to figure out.
I like fruit scents but not extra citrus. I don't see any samples available anywhere.
Tallow + Steel doesn't sell samples, so you kind of have to make a decision based on the essential oils listed. That being said, pretty much all of the "fruity" T+S scents are citrus-based, so you might want to keep that in mind. They also do a great job with the florals, but if that isn't your thing, you might want to hold for a "slam dunk" scent profile.

Tallow + Steel doesn't sell samples, so you kind of have to make a decision based on the essential oils listed. That being said, pretty much all of the "fruity" T+S scents are citrus-based, so you might want to keep that in mind. They also do a great job with the florals, but if that isn't your thing, you might want to hold for a "slam dunk" scent profile.
Thanks for the information on that.
So I take it they put out a limited edition here and there?

Thanks for the information on that.
So I take it they put out a limited edition here and there?
They just sell via their online store. They tend to have five or six "core" soaps, but they also release limited edition stuff from time to time. Shipping to and from Canada is steep, so I always buy at least two sets of soaps so that I get the free shipping. I really wouldn't expect someone unfamiliar with T+S to drop $80 on their product without so much as a sample. If you like, I can drop a bit of Sicily and Cairo in the mail if you like. I scoop from my tubs, so it's clean soap. 😂😂😂

They just sell via their online store. They tend to have five or six "core" soaps, but they also release limited edition stuff from time to time. Shipping to and from Canada is steep, so I always buy at least two sets of soaps so that I get the free shipping. I really wouldn't expect someone unfamiliar with T+S to drop $80 on their product without so much as a sample. If you like, I can drop a bit of Sicily and Cairo in the mail if you like. I scoop from my tubs, so it's clean soap. 😂😂😂
I didn't even get as far as check out the shipping but that's is something to consider.
Well that'd be awesome if you had a smudge or something of a sample. I'll PM you here in a little bit. It's very cool of you.

I didn't even get as far as check out the shipping but that's is something to consider.
Well that'd be awesome if you had a smudge or something of a sample. I'll PM you here in a little bit. It's very cool of you.
No problem. Just remember that these events are citrus/floral based, so this might just be a way to familiarize yourself with the (excellent) quality of the soap.
I'll also include a scoop of MacDuff's Sauvignon Blanc. I am really enjoying the scent on this one, and the base performs in the same strata as Tallow + Steel!

Last edited:
No problem. Just remember that these events are citrus/floral based, so this might just be a way to familiarize yourself with the (excellent) quality of the soap.
I'll also include a scoop of MacDuff's Sauvignon Blanc. I am really enjoying the scent on this one, and the base performs in the same strata as Tallow + Steel!
I'm looking forward to them

Good shaving soap but overpriced at 3oz.for over 20$. plus shipping.In the future shaving companies like Stirling 5.5 oz. at 13.50 will prosper as alot of the so called artisans will go out of business because of their pricing.Alot of the artisan soapmakers are parttimers who don't rely on the soap business as a living.I think 15-20 for a high quality shaving soap is a fair price and shipping at cost.The prices of artisan soaps and aftershaves are slipping into the realm of the unafordable for many shavers....and with the economy changing there will a realization that prices. Are out of line.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

I forgot to mention aftershaves.......The most profit made is in aftershaves.I am a Barber and an amateur perfumer.Recently I made a aftershave that wss as good as any I have ever bought and my cost on that was about 1.50.Look at aftershave prices they are rediculous.....believe me the bottles cost are far more than the contents.This has become a bit of a rip off at the current prices.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom