What's new

Tallow + Steel

That’s a hard pass for me. $10 Cdn/oz, $99 Cdn to get free shipping and you can’t get any samples anywhere, no thanks. I can get 5 oz of CK-6 or 4oz of Kodiak base for the same price, both of which are top tier bases to me (YMMV)

I could be missing out though 🤷‍♂️
The soap and AS is as good as anything else I have tried and the scents are very complex and unique. Just too damned expensive!

The soap and AS is as good as anything else I have tried and the scents are very complex and unique. Just too damned expensive!
To be honest, the smaller pours mean very little too me, as I have actually finished all of three tubs of soap in my years of wet shaving. It is for this reason that I actually PREFER the smaller pour to maintain the price point. For example, I would be more than happy with two ounces in a tub for $20 of Tallow + Steel, but I realize that I am probably in the minority on this point...

Never tried T&S, but for me, if the soap is truly amazing I would buy it for the marginally higher price.
These soaps all lasts for months, and all are relatively inexpensive items. Gee, you can buy a tuna sandwich and a beer for lunch for $30 and that only last s half an hour!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I don’t have a real problem with 3 oz. the only new scent that appealed to me is cognac but it seems more a winter mix to me. Otherwise I’m not blown away with the variety. T&S is my top tier soap / splash hands down. Quality performance unique scents all amazing. This is one of the first times I got their email and I didn’t automatically hit buy though.

I don’t have a real problem with 3 oz. the only new scent that appealed to me is cognac but it seems more a winter mix to me. Otherwise I’m not blown away with the variety. T&S is my top tier soap / splash hands down. Quality performance unique scents all amazing. This is one of the first times I got their email and I didn’t automatically hit buy though.
Really? The Morocco reboot doesn't speak to you? I'm kinda surprised. I actually love the previous version(s) of Morocco with the smokey cade note, but this version sounds amazing to me!
Rose (52%) | Bitter Orange (18%) | Lime (15%) | Atlas Cedarwood (7%) | Petitgrain (5%) | Blue Tansy (3%) | 100% natural aromatic extracts from botanicals.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Really? The Morocco reboot doesn't speak to you? I'm kinda surprised. I actually love the previous version(s) of Morocco with the smokey cade note, but this version sounds amazing to me!
Rose (52%) | Bitter Orange (18%) | Lime (15%) | Atlas Cedarwood (7%) | Petitgrain (5%) | Blue Tansy (3%) | 100% natural aromatic extracts from botanicals.
Ok point taken. I don’t have anything rose. So yes that did catch my eye. With the added benefit of not having to explain to the arresting officer that that cognac smell is my aftershave!

Twenty five percent reduction in size, same price. Good soap, and I like it, but there's plenty of competition....
I think that the price was higher on the 4oz soaps when that was the standard size. Less per ounce overall, but I'm pretty certain it was more expensive than the current 3oz tub.

I think that the price was higher on the 4oz soaps when that was the standard size. Less per ounce overall, but I'm pretty certain it was more expensive than the current 3oz tub.
My last order of Rainforest Two I believe was $25 + $25 (soap and AS), but I could be mistaken. It is good soap, but for $20 I can get 5 oz of M&M, or any number of other lesser-priced soaps that some regard as equal or better quality. And beauty - or excellence - is certainly in the eye of the beholder. I'm glad to see their product line expand, and will likely buy more, but I hope their strategy doesn't deter former or future customers who are looking at the same competition and wondering "Why?"

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
In November I ordered their merry collection. (Soap and aftershave) It was $50 all in. (43+7 shipping)
I’m not sure of the size. I can look later. Excluding shipping which I didn’t think was too bad, 43 for the set seems pretty reasonable. Yet compared to Proraso where you can get 500ml of cream for $18.00 it doesn’t seem that reasonable. 😂

My last order of Rainforest Two I believe was $25 + $25 (soap and AS), but I could be mistaken. It is good soap, but for $20 I can get 5 oz of M&M, or any number of other lesser-priced soaps that some regard as equal or better quality. And beauty - or excellence - is certainly in the eye of the beholder. I'm glad to see their product line expand, and will likely buy more, but I hope their strategy doesn't deter former or future customers who are looking at the same competition and wondering "Why?"
Yeah its definitely a product with a premium price, no two ways around that. The M&M Kodiak base soap used to be a 3oz release too, but I think they up'd them to 4oz now right? (personally I don't put the M&M non-Kodiak base at the same performance level as T+S, but performance is absolutely subjective like you said so no judgment here).

After thinking about it I am kind of wondering what a bunch of guys (including myself) are doing getting a little too much into our heads over the price of a soap when:
A. A safe bet would be all of us have at least a year of soap on hand and,
B. We all own more than one razor (I own 5).

For 90% of us this turned away from saving money if it ever was about that to having fun and enjoyment. And there are hobbies that cost one heck of a lot more. My fishing for one. My brother’s golf for huge number 2.

If you like the product and want it, buy it. If you don’t, don’t buy it.

I don't think so. I have been buying Tallow + Steel for years, and I'm pretty sure that their standard soaps have been $25 for quite some time. In fact, I did a quick search of some of the various BSTs on shaving forums and I was able to find this post from 2017:
Screenshot_20210504-171606.png

Again, I realize that we all have our opinions on how the vendors should address the rising costs of doing business, but I for one prefer a smaller pour at $25 than the four or five ounce tub for $30+. (cough cough... Wholly Kaw!)

Last edited:
To be honest, the smaller pours mean very little too me, as I have actually finished all of three tubs of soap in my years of wet shaving. It is for this reason that I actually PREFER the smaller pour to maintain the price point. For example, I would be more than happy with two ounces in a tub for $20 of Tallow + Steel, but I realize that I am probably in the minority on this point...
This is exactly how I feel. I actually have a soap from a maker who is reputedly amongst the best new soapmakers. I bought this tub when he was first starting out. However, it is 8 ounces. That really turned me off to the point where I have not purchased any more of this maker's soaps even though he now offers a 4 oz tub. I would much prefer a smaller 3 oz tub. I just have far too many soaps and never seem to finish any of them.

I've found 4 or 5 ounce tubs to be just about the right size for me. I could easily get through a 4 ounce tub in a couple of months with exclusive use shaving daily, but I have so much stocked it takes quite a while with rotations to complete a tub. Larger tubs obviously last longer than smaller tubs, but cost per shave with any of them is realistically pretty low. However, if you charge more for your product than equivalent competing products, it should be better, in a business sense, for corporate growth and success ("better" being a relative and subjective term - to me it means better performance, but to someone else it could be better availability, better looking packaging, more rare or desirable, even better marketing). If you charge significantly more, it should be significantly better. T + S is great soap, and I have a lot of it. But it's not significantly better than many other great soaps in my closet, which means when I repurchase I might just randomly pick something else. I happen to like the fragrance of Sicily and Maya in particular, so I might restock, even knowing it will run out sooner, and I like the company. But there are, as they say, other fish in the sea.

Top Bottom