What's new

Tallow + Steel West Indies

When I tried T+S West Indies today I didn’t know what to expect. If I had to choose one soap and splash for the spring/summer this would be it.

Off the puck the soap is a citrusy orange with a hint of West Indian spices.

I ordered this kind of blind. I didn’t realize that the tub was only 3 oz. My first thought was this was a more expensive soap than I realized. Then I saw why. It’s organic. I didn’t set out to order organic but there it was.

I was a little skeptical thinking that sometimes organic products just don’t perform well. Wrong. The scent was a refreshing medium / medium strong strength throughout the entire shave. The lather was plentiful and quite slick and I experienced no irritation.

The splash was more along the lines of a WK splash. It was soothing and left me with a great post shave face feel. The scent was similar to the soap and the citrusy orange and West Indian spice scent lingered for about 30 minutes before becoming very close to the face as citrus and West Indian spice scents do.

As for the 3 oz, considering that it’s organic it’s a fair price. It’s not like I’m going to use it up too quickly given my...uhm...possibly having more soap than I could use in 5 years.

Tallow + Steel soaps are wonderful. And I actually prefer the 3oz pours. Keeps the price down a bit and makes it more likely that I'll finish the tub at some point!

Great review. I really like West Indies. Great scent and both the soap and splash perform well.

It is expensive, but I am in the same boat as you. I have soaps that I likely don’t even know I own!

West Indies (v3 base) was my first outing with Tallow + Steel, and what a great introduction it was. I absolutely love the stuff... great performance, and scent alike. At first I balked too at the price per ounce, but the results speak for themselves!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Great review and perspective too
I’m a huge fan of t+s but I don’t have that one ... yet🤨

Love the soap (sort of T+S's interpretation of Bay Rum), although their Indian Bay was another outstanding (though LE) take on the genre. Downside is it's more expensive, but typical excellent T+S.

The wife got me a set of West Indies for my birthday last year, I quite like it. Great mix of citrus and spice. Rainforest II is the other T&S set I have and it is also fantastic, as evidenced by the fact that I can already see the bottom of the tub. Sicily is next on my list from them.

Top Bottom