What's new

Tallow & Steel - Maya and West Indies

I have been shaving a few days with a small sample of T&S soap that I have labeled as "Maya."

All I get from the scent is bay plus a little bit of a sweet undertone with a sweetened spice smell.

This does not seem to match the description of Maya from Tallow and Steel: "The bitter sweetness of cocoa melts into the richness of coffee and tobacco, while allspice and cardamom yield to citrus for a sensuous tang that reaches through the ages."

With the sense of smelling bay, I would have thought that what I'm using was West Indies. However, the description of West Indies doesn't seem to match what I'm smelling either: " the tangy wild orange and smooth coconut dry down to the warmth of amyris and Haitian vetiver, spiced with West Indies bay, allspice, and black pepper."

I don't really smell either coffee and cocoa or orange and coconut. So I'm just confused. Perhaps the bay that I'm smelling is really allspice and cardamom.

Is there someone who has both who can help me to differentiate? (I've only got enough soap to shave one more time.)

Thanks.
Bob

From the West Indies to simplify it down a bit I get a citrus forward bay rum scent. Not much in terms of coconut as the citrus and bay are the dominant notes. Definitely a good amount of citrus here. There is more going on than just these two scents but I don't get any cocoa or coffee.

With Maya I do get the cocoa and coffee but not too much tobacco. Like the West Indies, there's a bit more going on there, but I definitely get the coffee and the cocoa from this one.

To me these aren't similar at all scent wise.

From the West Indies to simplify it down a bit I get a citrus forward bay rum scent. Not much in terms of coconut as the citrus and bay are the dominant notes. Definitely a good amount of citrus here. There is more going on than just these two scents but I don't get any cocoa or coffee.

With Maya I do get the cocoa and coffee but not too much tobacco. Like the West Indies, there's a bit more going on there, but I definitely get the coffee and the cocoa from this one.

To me these aren't similar at all scent wise.
I assumed that they weren't similar at all - I'm just wondering if I'm smelling Maya or not. I was expecting to get a mocha-esque scent from the Maya and it's nothing of the sort. Having said that, I bought the sample from a vendor so I'm assuming that I was sent Maya.

Just seems weird to me. Thanks David.

Bob

I have a tub of Maya and I do get hints of clove from it (and even more so from the splash) so that may be what reminds you of bay rum.

I'm pretty sure you do have Maya. I also remember thinking that I'm not really smelling what I read in the description.

That being said, I do enjoy the scent. It's definitely more pleasant once it's lathered.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks @jdburger. The scent is middle-of-the-road for me. Don’t love it, but I could live with it. I usually try to hit a higher threshold than that, though, for the soaps I buy. Haven’t tried West Indies (obviously) since bay rum is not a favorite, but I’ve tried everything else but Madagascar. (It’s in the queue.) So far, I think Morocco is my favorite.

I haven't tried Morocco because I've read in several threads that it's the worst scent T+S has to offer. Clearly, it's a YMMV thing!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I've smelt several T&S scents and have owned Boreal and Morocco. To my nose they all seem to be very strong scented and one scent seems to overpower any of the subtle scents they claim are in it. Boreal - they claim it's like a walk through the boreal forest but all I smell is an intense pine needle/sap scent. Morocco ALL I smell is overpowering smoke-to me it was unusable.

Top Bottom