What's new

Tallow Soaps with Tobacco scent

Hello! I am new to using shaving soap and this forum. So far, I really love Tallow based soaps, because it has improved my skin. I also have really enjoyed the scents of Tobacco, leather, and bay rum from the soaps I have tried. Please let me know what other soaps I should try in this category.

Wet Shaving Products has a tallow Tobacco scent but it's more of a tobacco flower scent, very
light but a good performing soap.

So Wholly Kaw has a Tobacco scent called Merchant of Tobacco that vacillates between Skoal long cut natural and cocoa for me. I love it. The soap base is tremendous as well. Stirling has a Haverford scent that is a dupe of Tom Ford’s Tobacco Vanille and comes off as vanilla pipe tobacco to me. Very mellow— in a Friday morning good way. Declaration Grooming has a collaboration with Chatillon Lux called Gratiot League Square that is a spice and leather scent for me and I use it most days of the week. The bison base is again among the top tier. Hope this helps!

Declaration Grooming has a collaboration with Chatillon Lux called Gratiot League Square that is a spice and leather scent for me and I use it most days of the week.
I find a very faint tobacco whiff amongst other notes in Gratiot but I find the overall scent to be pretty weak for my liking even though I liked it a lot. Wish I could use it often. All said the performance is right up with top notch soaps.

For a green tobacco scent, WSP Formula T Tobacco is awesome. For a pipe shop tobacco scent, WSP Formula T Blackbeard is spot on. I personally love the fresh green scent of Formula T Tobacco.

Stirling Haverford is a Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille clone. I've never tried the cologne. It smells just like tobacco to me. If it smells like anything else, it smells like raisins. A word of warning, it's brown and the lather is too. The scent is tenacious on my brush.

There's always Tabac, if you haven't tried it yet. It's a marvelous tallow soap, though a bit of a divisive scent.

Tabac uses the flower not the leaf, so it's not what most people would consider a tobacco scent. It's a great soap and I love the scent but would never put it in with a tobacco scent.

Tabac uses the flower not the leaf, so it's not what most people would consider a tobacco scent. It's a great soap and I love the scent but would never put it in with a tobacco scent.
Totally agree. Gave up smoking at 19, but I've never lost the enjoyment of the scent of tobacco, burning or not. I never got a hint of that in 1000 Tabac shaves.

There are lots of scents that fall under the category of tobacco. Some smell like the flower of the tobacco plant. Some smell like cigar tobacco leaf. Some smell like cigarette tobacco. Some smell like pipe tobacco. Some smell like tobacco smoke.

The website Try That Soap lists a total of 80 tallow based soaps (and other vegan soaps) that contain some form of tobacco scent. There are some (like WSP Tobacco tobacco flower scent and WSP Blackbeard pipe tobacco scent) that are missing from the list. The website lists the scent notes of the various soaps to help you determine if that particular scent is for you. In some cases, the scents are tobacco forward; in other cases, the tobacco takes a less prominent role. Some of the soaps listed are no longer in production.

Totally agree. Gave up smoking at 19, but I've never lost the enjoyment of the scent of tobacco, burning or not. I never got a hint of that in 1000 Tabac shaves.

If you are looking for the best pipe tobacco ever, you should try Black Ship Captain's Pipe. Unfortunately, it's not tallow but it's a top tier or close to it in my books.

I just used Tcheon Fung Sing (TFS) Tobacco Verde for the first time. I really like it, but be warned, the scent sticks like glue. I was smelling traces of it in my goatee after 3 showers! I'm 99% sure they manufacture Razorock's Zi Peppino which is the same scent but the TFS version seems to have a bit more depth, softer soap, and a better shave in my opinion. The ingredient list is almost identical between the 2. Italian Barber sells both.

I grew up in Richmond VA and I can still remember walking though downtown and smelling the aroma of the Liggett and Myers tobacco factor. The historic factory was torn down in 2016. Although I love the smell of fresh cigarette tobacco, I never liked the smell of cigarette smoke and never smoked cigarettes.

For a while, I did smoke a pipe and still love the aroma of pipe tobacco. Later I smoked hand-rolled cigars made with with high-quality, long-leaf filler and either Maduro or Camaroon wrappers. I do not smoke now, but still have my old pipes and a humidor with some cigars that have been aging 15-35 years. Every now and then I pull them out to sniff them. Even after all these years, they still smell great.

I just used Tcheon Fung Sing (TFS) Tobacco Verde for the first time. I really like it, but be warned, the scent sticks like glue. I was smelling traces of it in my goatee after 3 showers! I'm 99% sure they manufacture Razorock's Zi Peppino which is the same scent but the TFS version seems to have a bit more depth, softer soap, and a better shave in my opinion. The ingredient list is almost identical between the 2. Italian Barber sells both.

That would make sense as TFS makes the RR croaps AFAIK.

I bought some Jeeves of Hudson Street Tobacco Bay Leaf shave soap from a local retailer in KC on Saturday and tried it out yesterday and man, this stuff is amazing. I am mostly drawn to leathery, smokey, tobacco scents when it comes to soaps, aftershaves, and EDT's and absolutely loves this. It is a tallow based soap from a Missouri artisan, whom is also a veteran.

I can't speak enough about the scent and quality of this soap and aftershave and if you love the tobacco scents, this should be right up your alley.

Top Bottom