What's new

Tallow soaps spoiling?

Just read a thread about Cella red, where much of the discussion centered on the soap going rancid, specifically due to its tallow content.

I was wondering if other tallow soaps, like Stirling, will eventually go rancid, or if this is unique to Cella.

Anybody ever had a tub of Stirling, or any other tallow soap spoil?

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I believe that it is the almond oil in Cella going rancid not the tallow. Get a bottle of almond oil at the grocery and set it on the counter and see how long it takes it to smell like old peanut butter. Almond oil is a great culinary fat, high smoke point, healthy, etc but it’s expensive and goes bad fast.

All unsaponified fats will go rancid given enough time, but that time may be long. Factors are the type of fat, how much unsaponified fat (superfat) is left in the soap, and if preservatives are used, or not used. And the craft of the soap maker. Get some MdC and don’t worry about shelf life.

I believe that it is the almond oil in Cella going rancid not the tallow. Get a bottle of almond oil at the grocery and set it on the counter and see how long it takes it to smell like old peanut butter. Almond oil is a great culinary fat, high smoke point, healthy, etc but it’s expensive and goes bad fast.

All unsaponified fats will go rancid given enough time, but that time may be long. Factors are the type of fat, how much unsaponified fat (superfat) is left in the soap, and if preservatives are used, or not used. And the craft of the soap maker. Get some MdC and don’t worry about shelf life.
Ahhhhhh, so it isn't the tallow. Very nice to know, thanks.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I don’t believe that the tallow in Cella is going rancid very quickly. Others may have a different opinion.

I too have heard about Cell red going rancid in this forum and others, it may be more due to the improper storage of the soap more than the soap itself. Some suggest keeping the chunks of Cella/ Vitos in the refrigerator if planning on keeping them for longer periods of time and if temperature fluctuance is great in your area.

Members have kept bricks of Cella and Vitos for years and have successfully enjoyed them without issues, I too have purchased a kilo of Vitos extra super coco and there have been no issues so far. We don't have high humidity in my geographical area, which may be a factor helping in prolonging the soap life.

that's what I am thinking too. it could be the almond oil that could be causing cella to go rancid because I have many other tallow based soaps and they are all still fine.

Does almond oil need to be refrigerated?​

Oxygen, heat, light and time cause Almond Oil to Oxidize and become Rancid. … If you do refrigerate your Almond Oil it may become semi-solid in the cold. Just let it sit for 15-20 minutes at room temperature and it will return to liquid form. Almond Oil should keep 6 months to a year in the refrigerator.

if you read up on it, almond oil has a reputation of being rancid.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I think it is a combination of moisture content and in the case of Cella, the almond oil. I am still using tallow pucks which are 70 years old and they are fine.

Top Bottom