What's new

Tallow-Based Soap: A Compendium

I just bought a kilo of P.160 for the amazing price of €5,25 from an online Italian barber supplier.
On the package it states tallow as an ingredient.
So you can add P.160 to the list as well.

Where does Tallow come from? I would assume that it would be a by-product after slaughter? If so, aren't we being enviornmentalists by using the whole animal (or at least a little more of it)? I do love the hyporcricy though - how many now tallow-less soap makers sell relabeled badger brushes?

Must say I think the exclusion of Arko based on it's scent is unfair. I could list a number of expensive soaps whose scents would be far less welcome in my shave den than Arko, and most of them could not be had singly for the case price on their poor Turkish brother.

An alternate to Arko's inclusion might be to change the thread title to, "Tallow Based Soap One Guy Likes: A Compendium".

Must say I think the exclusion of Arko based on it's scent is unfair. I could list a number of expensive soaps whose scents would be far less welcome in my shave den than Arko, and most of them could not be had singly for the case price on their poor Turkish brother.

An alternate to Arko's inclusion might be to change the thread title to, "Tallow Based Soap One Guy Likes: A Compendium".
For a more complete and up to date list refer to the List of Tallow Based Soaps in the Badger & Blade ShaveWiki.

It's just a list without much comment. There's other recent threads if you search the soap forum, like [thread=131239]Help with a list of tallow soaps still being produced[/thread] and [thread=130371]"Mass" shaving soap comparison[/thread]. Both of those led to the wiki getting updated, but the wiki's where to look for the most recent updates. There was some discussion in that last thread about how to do better comparisons and reviews, and some adventurous souls wanted to put more in the wiki, but this sums it up:
yeah, but two things;

1. Some guys rate soaps by how nice the lather looks while some go by shave performance

2. Experiences vary based on a lot of variables. So irrespective of the methodology, there's really not going to be a reliable way of judging what to get based on the experiences of others until you read enough comments by guys and find those who you have agreed with a lot... that's really all there is to it

Last edited:

Thats about it really,my first sentence starts with "On my journey" this thread was the work of one guy who posted what he has found and experienced.

If men want to use Williams and Arko then that's thier choice, I do not want the SLS and other ingredients on my face that these products use in the production. The B&B and the thread is about Luxury shaving products, not the lowest common denominator of the products.

Last edited:
Thats about it really,my first sentence starts with "On my journey" this thread was the work of one guy who posted what he has found and experienced.

If men want to use Williams and Arko then that's thier choice, I do not want the SLS and other ingredients on my face that these products use in the production. The B&B and the thread is about Luxury shaving products, not the lowest common denominator of the products.

But what if you like both ends of the spectrum? I mean, there are the girls you can take home to momma, and they are great for certain days, but then there are the girls from the wrong side of the tracks, and... well, you get my drift.

Some days you just want to "slum it", and in the end, you still get "shaved". :lol::lol:

Sorry Phil, I cannot agree. Life is too short to use anything but top shelf products.

Jim, thanks for all the great information. However, I'm puzzled that AOS is listed as triple-milled. I really like the soap, and it produces rich, cushiony lather, but it's one of the softest soaps I own. It doesn't last nearly as long as my DR Harris and other triple-milled products. Though not triple-milled, I've found MWF to last much longer.

Is it possible that AOS has changed their manufacturing process since you first reviewed it? Thanks.

Regards,

Jim, thanks for all the great information. However, I'm puzzled that AOS is listed as triple-milled. I really like the soap, and it produces rich, cushiony lather, but it's one of the softest soaps I own. It doesn't last nearly as long as my DR Harris and other triple-milled products. Though not triple-milled, I've found MWF to last much longer.

Is it possible that AOS has changed their manufacturing process since you first reviewed it? Thanks.

Regards,
I can deform MWF with my finger a whole lot easier than AoS, so I'd say MWF is softer. Maybe they soaked up different amounts of water. Agree that Harris is harder than either, but that might have more to do with different melting temperatures of the palm/tallow blend.

Last edited:
Well, I certainly can't speak for you. But as far as this shaver is concerned, I "slummed it" for far too long using cartridges. I have no desire to "slum it" ever again.

+1. You GO, girl! :w00t:

Jim is clearly not a girl. Except in the capacity that he can't lather Williams!:lol::lol: Totally just kidding. Seriously though, aren't Williams and Arko kind of the "soap strippers"? You know, you just have to see what it is all about, and then after you get it out of your system, you move on. Arko though is a servicable product for me. I never sought it out, it was included with a blade purchase or something. After trying it, I was surprised at how good it performed, for me. YMMV and all of that.

Arko contains no SLS, not that it matters to those with normal sensitivity to it. I'm also glad though that enough B&B'ers have chosen to forego your idea of what the site is "about" to provide a more balanced base of information on the cheaper products as well.

Arko contains no SLS, not that it matters to those with normal sensitivity to it. I'm also glad though that enough B&B'ers have chosen to forego your idea of what the site is "about" to provide a more balanced base of information on the cheaper products as well.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt since you haven't been here all that long. But FWIW, Jim is probably one of the most reasonable, even-tempered & knowledgeable gentlemen you could ever have the good fortune to interact with on this site. No one's saying you have to agree with the guy -- you're perfectly entitled to your own opinion. We all are. But your sarcastic delivery & obvious disdain for his opinion tells me that, a) you haven't been here very long, b) you're not very tolerant of differing opinions, and c) you don't know how to play well with others (who might not agree with you). So I would gently suggest that you temper your disdain with a bit of tolerance & a fair helping of humor or you might not make an awful lot of friends around here.

Just sayin.

Just sayin.

Duly noted. Perhaps my enthusiasm for my own favorites has gotten the better of me, but I found Jim's comments much as you found mine. With that, let me apologize for any hurt feelings or poor impressions I may have left. Life's too short to get bent outta shape over soap.

Top Bottom