What's new

Tallow based cream soap, new line,

Hi everyone.
After much work and many attempts I feel the cream soap is ready. This is not a hard soap. The samples will ship in small tubs. I will be offering samples for 0.01$. These are 1/2 ounce samples with a limit of two per person. This amount of soap should allow you to get the feel of the soap and determine if it works for you. If you are curious about some of the other fragrances send me a message and I will include "sniffies" of those scents at no additional cost (a "sniffie" is just a cotton swab dipped in the fragrance). There will be a 3$ shipping charge for the samples.

Available fragrances:
Almond Blossom
Bay Rum-Classic, no spice notes
G.I.T.
Grapefruit Peppermint
Lavender Apples & Oak
Menthol
Orange EO
Unscented

This is a true soap. No detergents or surfactants. This soap is tallow based (tallow accounts for over 1/3 of the oils used by weight).
Ingredients: Aloe Vera Juice, Tallow (Beef), Stearic Acid, Olive Oil, Propylene Glycol, KOH, Almond Oil, Glycerin, Cocoa Butter, Sodium Lactate, Castor Oil, Fragrance, Peg 150 Distearate, Sugar, Bentonite Clay, NaOH, DMDM-H (Preservative), and Silk Fibers.

Link to the website:
http://www.mytimebathandbody.com/

I will make it a point to check the board often and answer questions promptly.

Jean

I'd be interested in trying some-- the non-spiced Bay Rum sounds like a hit. What's G.I.T.? I couldn't find anything about it on your site.
Oh, and these are all FO, not EO, correct?

Hi Zach
G.I.T. is short the Green Irish Tweed. I use the Creed Type and this one is a fragrance oil.
There are both EOs (essential oil) and FOs (fragrance oils) on the site. I have included EO after the ones that are essential oils and FO after ones that have an EO counterpart like lime and bay rum.
Sniffies can be any scent that catches you fancy and is not limited to the sample fragrances. I do have many other scents that are not listed so if there is something you like but don't see just ask and there is a good chance I will have that or something similar you may like.
Jean

Hi everyone.
After much work and many attempts I feel the cream soap is ready. This is not a hard soap. The samples will ship in small tubs. I will be offering samples for 0.01$. These are 1/2 ounce samples with a limit of two per person. This amount of soap should allow you to get the feel of the soap and determine if it works for you. If you are curious about some of the other fragrances send me a message and I will include "sniffies" of those scents at no additional cost (a "sniffie" is just a cotton swab dipped in the fragrance). There will be a 3$ shipping charge for the samples.

Available fragrances:
Almond Blossom
Bay Rum-Classic, no spice notes
G.I.T.
Grapefruit Peppermint
Lavender Apples & Oak
Menthol
Orange EO
Unscented

This is a true soap. No detergents or surfactants. This soap is tallow based (tallow accounts for over 1/3 of the oils used by weight).
Ingredients: Aloe Vera Juice, Tallow (Beef), Stearic Acid, Olive Oil, Propylene Glycol, KOH, Almond Oil, Glycerin, Cocoa Butter, Sodium Lactate, Castor Oil, Fragrance, Peg 150 Distearate, Sugar, Bentonite Clay, NaOH, DMDM-H (Preservative), and Silk Fibers.

Link to the website:
http://www.mytimebathandbody.com/

I will make it a point to check the board often and answer questions promptly.

Jean

Sodium Lactate, PEG, & NaOH, yikes.... what's the PH of this stuff?

Also - FYI gents, DMDM-H is actually (to my knowledge) Quaternium-15, which releases formaldehyde. I mean NO offense to Jean in the slightest, however I highly, HIGHLY suggest you look up DMDM-H, as well as Quaternium-15, as it is not something you want to use AT ALL, in a shaving product, as it is an irritant, and on many individuals will cause quite an allergic reaction... especially if you were to nick yourself and it were to get in your blood stream. For some it may be just fine, however it is typically never used in preperations whereby it can come in contact with an open cut, as it can really give you one hell of a reaction.

Again.... no offense, and this is in no way to assault/or shy individuals away from trying Jean's products, which may very well be outstanding, but I feel it necessary/in good faith to give you fellas a heads up in case you have sensitive skin, or are not farmiliar with some of the items in her product - as for some, this could mean a trip to the ER.

:thumbup1:

Hi Joel
No offense taken and I love that people do reasearch before trying a product.
Here is a link with information on DMDMH:
http://www.masonsurfactants.com/Products/Maguard_H55.htm
It is an accepted preservative in the USA and in Europe where the industry is far more strict. I use it at a rate of 0.15% of the formulation by weight. Enough to preserve the product but far below the maximum recomended (1% USA and 0.6% Europe).
Here is a link with information on Quaternium-15:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaternium-15
These two preservatives are similar but not the same, and yes both are formaldehyde-releasing. There is a list on the bottom of the page that lists other formaldehyde-releasing preservatives so check your labels for those also if you want to avoid this type of product.
Preservatives are unfortunately a necessary part of our world. Our best option is to educate ourselves and make choices accordingly.
I did research this for a long time. I found that with preservatives your two main choices are paraben or formaldehyde-releasing. I chose the latter as you can use a single broad spectrum agent where the parabens often need two to achieve the same coverage. Also the amount needed was less to acheive adequate preservation. Parabens routinely need 0.5% by product weight to be effective.
As for the other ingredients.
Sodium Lactate is the product when lactic acid and sodium are combined. It is a humectrant like glycerin but better and not sticky. Here is a link:
http://www.wilkeinternational.com/WILKEinternational/SodiumLactate.html
Peg 150 Distearate is a foam stabilizer and skin conditioner. If you like Prorazo go read the ingredients. And the link:
http://en.mimi.hu/beauty/peg-150_distearate.html
NaOH (you missed KOH) is of course lye. Soap by defination is the product of fatty acids (oil) and a strong alkali (lye). I choose to list the lye and not "soponified oil of......" because I think it is appropriate to list what goes into the pot and not what comes out.
This soaps Ph is between 7.5-8.
Your post is exactly the reason I decided to post the full ingredient list for this soap. I want people to make informed decisions and be able to avoid ingredients that they don't want to be exposed to.
Thank you for the opportunity to share this information.
Jean

Hi all
I found a great site for investigating ingredients:
http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/index.php
Simply type in the ingredients you are interested in learning about and it will give you info on that ingredient and a list of products it is used in.
For fun and some interesting reading type "shaving cream" in the search box!
HTH
Jean

Top Bottom