What's new

Tallow and Steel Dark Two

3AC6F09F-6004-4AAA-BA37-AFA168DACF11.jpeg

I am normally a cream guy. I have a few soaps that I love like Tabac and a few artisan offerings, but I usually find that creams do just as well and have better scents. I have tried a couple pricy soaps that work well but seemed quite overpriced.

I had the urge to try something new and I noticed that one of our resident experts, @dfoulk , had recommended Tallow and Steel soaps as a top notch choice. Knowing how serious he takes his soaps, I splurged on an order of the Dark Two scent. It was a random choice as they all look good in the descriptions.

It came yesterday after a couple weeks shipping time from Canada and my first impression was wonderful. Powerful scent, check. Easy and fast to load, check. Superb performance, check. Post shave feel was great as well.

The scent is odd, but I like it. Smells like a chocolate and peppermint scratch and sniff sticker....but in a good way. Very fun to use. I do like strong scents.

The performance is really top notch. A lot of soaps people say that about end up being pretty good, but not really that much better than most. This soap truly was a far bit better than most in my opinion. The lather with a wet Semogue 610 was fast to load and I went directly to my face with it. It took more water and created a unique lather that was very dense. I thought I might have used too much at first but the shave was superb. It was probably the slickest lather I have ever used by a noticeable amount. I can see why it was recommended. It is my new favorite for performance.

I now want to try some other scents.

This is good stuff! Thanks @dfoulk .

Great review! One of my absolute favorites as well. Your timing was great! His web site now shows it to be out of stock. :a52: . I also enjoy Madagascar and Sicily. Need to pull the trigger on Himalaya. Believe he may be coming out with some new stuff this Summer. IMO, his V3 base is one of the best. Good luck and enjoy!

I agree with observations in the review and really enjoy Dark II. I like strong scented soaps and Dark is right there but the scent fades out pretty quickly and doesn't seem to have any legs by the time I finish the shave.
@ Upland if you like Madagascar then you will enjoy Himalaya. I have both but I don't like a bit of that dirty/dust note in Madagascar . Himalaya is more rounded and fuller scent that I prefer. Wish I had ordered Sicily instead of Madagascar.
As far I know Himalaya is their last batch (if it is still available). In the email I got last month Himalaya and Maya is said to laid to rest.

Great review! One of my absolute favorites as well. Your timing was great! His web site now shows it to be out of stock. :a52: . I also enjoy Madagascar and Sicily. Need to pull the trigger on Himalaya. Believe he may be coming out with some new stuff this Summer. IMO, his V3 base is one of the best. Good luck and enjoy!
I agree with observations in the review and really enjoy Dark II. I like strong scented soaps and Dark is right there but the scent fades out pretty quickly and doesn't seem to have any legs by the time I finish the shave.
@ Upland if you like Madagascar then you will enjoy Himalaya. I have both but I don't like a bit of that dirty/dust note in Madagascar . Himalaya is more rounded and fuller scent that I prefer. Wish I had ordered Sicily instead of Madagascar.
As far I know Himalaya is their last batch (if it is still available). In the email I got last month Himalaya and Maya is said to laid to rest.

Thanks guys. Himalaya sounds nice.

Thanks guys. Himalaya sounds nice.
Bhugo being in India I am constrained to order soaps in large batches so I can justify the international postage charges. I got Boreal, Madagascar, Himalaya and Dark II and Himalaya is my most favourite followed by Dark2. Scents are subjective and I don't care for Boreal and Madagascar. I really wanted to like Boreal but all I get it shaving with pain relief balm.

Brian,
I'm really glad that you're enjoying it. The aftershaves are exceptional as well. A lot of guys like to match them up on every soap but I'm more focused on performance, so this is one of the only soaps that I'll buy the matching aftershaves to every time. Most splashes are just some alcohol fragrance and witch hazel. I need a bit more than that. Tallow & Steel and Maol Grooming are the only splashes I'll use. Other than that it's going to be a balm.

Try using the soap for about ten days straight and report back on how your skin feels. Lots of really outstanding stuff in there. With repeated use it'll make a noticeable change to your skin to the point where you won't want to use anything else. I'm using Grooming Dept, Tallow & Steel and Lisa's almost exclusively for this reason.

If you have any questions about the scents feel free to ask. I currently own or have tried most of them with the exception of a couple of the smaller limited editions runs that got by me.

@dfoulk have you tried Sicily shave soap? I now have a good idea about the soap base and I am eying few of his aftershaves. Since they are alcohol free and can be shipped international. Might pull trigger on Sicily soap as well if it has bold enough scent. Not keen on bay rum right now.

Brian,
I'm really glad that you're enjoying it. The aftershaves are exceptional as well. A lot of guys like to match them up on every soap but I'm more focused on performance, so this is one of the only soaps that I'll buy the matching aftershaves to every time. Most splashes are just some alcohol fragrance and witch hazel. I need a bit more than that. Tallow & Steel and Maol Grooming are the only splashes I'll use. Other than that it's going to be a balm.

Try using the soap for about ten days straight and report back on how your skin feels. Lots of really outstanding stuff in there. With repeated use it'll make a noticeable change to your skin to the point where you won't want to use anything else. I'm using Grooming Dept, Tallow & Steel and Lisa's almost exclusively for this reason.

If you have any questions about the scents feel free to ask. I currently own or have tried most of them with the exception of a couple of the smaller limited editions runs that got by me.
Thanks for the feedback!

I am quite interested in the scents. I really like strong scents and especially scents that are more along the lines of 80’s powerhouse colognes. Leathery, incense, patchouli and even sweet musky or gourmand scents. I am less likely to enjoy the fresh or citrus scents.

What are the top 3 that you think might match up with that confusing description? Ha. Even ones from Lisa’s or grooming department if you think they fit the bill.

Thanks again,
Brian

Might suggest T+S Maya - sort of a kola nut/allspice/tobacco scent. Outstanding performance, and the AS is a perfect complement. Or West Indies, which is T+S's bay rum interpretation - citrus/allspice/bay. All excellent scents and performance - T+S is top tier and one of my favorite soaps. Himalaya is another, more subtle and akin to B&M's Petricore, but a base earthy scent. All top notch and permanently in my rotation. Not particularly strong scents, with essential oils as a foundation, but very unique and pleasant.

Last edited:
Might suggest T+S Maya - sort of a kola nut/allspice/tobacco scent. Outstanding performance, and the AS is a perfect complement. Or West Indies, which is T+S's bay rum interpretation - citrus/allspice/bay. All excellent scents and performance - T+S is top tier and one of my favorite soaps. Himalaya is another, more subtle and akin to B&M's Petricore, but a base earthy scent. All top notch and permanently in my rotation. Not particularly strong scents, with essential oils as a foundation, but very unique and pleasant.
Thanks!

Tallow & Steel does make some top notch products. Some people have complained about their scents, but i have found some of their offerings to be excellent and unique in a B&M kind of way. Scents like Dark, Himilaya, or Boreal are not ones i would use on a daily basis but more of a "change of pace". Performance wise you cant go wrong although some of the scents could be considered polorizing to some.

Tallow & Steel does make some top notch products. Some people have complained about their scents, but i have found some of their offerings to be excellent and unique in a B&M kind of way. Scents like Dark, Himilaya, or Boreal are not ones i would use on a daily basis but more of a "change of pace". Performance wise you cant go wrong although some of the scents could be considered polorizing to some.
I’m a Tabac and Veg fan. Polarizing doesn’t bother me a bit. I agree on the change of pace statement. It’s exciting to use strong scents to me. Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback!

I am quite interested in the scents. I really like strong scents and especially scents that are more along the lines of 80’s powerhouse colognes. Leathery, incense, patchouli and even sweet musky or gourmand scents. I am less likely to enjoy the fresh or citrus scents.

What are the top 3 that you think might match up with that confusing description? Ha. Even ones from Lisa’s or grooming department if you think they fit the bill.

Thanks again,
Brian

While some people complain about T&S scents to me they are bold and interesting which is exactly what I'm drawn to. I love interesting, bold intense scents so I totally get it. With a lot of these I pick up something a little different each time I use them and I love that. Boring and synthetic smelling they certainly are not. Pretty much exactly what you're looking for from your description. If I had to pick a few I really like Maya, Boreal and Himalaya. Boreal is a deep rich forest scent. Really well done. Maya has a Coffee, Cocoa, Tobacco vibe to it but a lot more going on there with some citrus as well. I really enjoy it. Himalaya I have a much harder time describing but for me it just works. Cedar, Tobacco, Amber, Vanilla, and a bunch of other notes.

I do like West Indies but it's a Citrus forward bay rum scent. Think Bay Rum and Grapefruit with a lot of Grapefruit.

Sicily is the one that's likely appealing to most but probably not as appealing to you as it's a citrus scent that's going to be a bit more mainstream. It has a lot going on but maybe not quite as bold. Madagascar is a bit too floral for me or maybe it's the Ylang Ylang but it doesn't work for me personally.

I'd probably point you toward Boreal, Maya and Himalaya. West Indies is nice as well but likely after the others in terms of what you'd prefer.

In terms of Grooming Dept and Lisa's. With most of the Grooming Dept scents they aren't as strongly scented as the Tallow & Steel ones. They are however complex with many inspired by higher end colognes. I like most of what I try from them. For example I like their Incense and Rose scent. You'd think it would have two fragrances that make it up with those two being Incense & Rose. Not so much as their are like 71 different fragrances that make that one up. So with them even simple isn't simple. They do an outstanding job on the scents. I feel you'd likely be happy with just about anything you ordered from Grooming Dept.

Lisa's are a little less complex but she's getting bolder with some of the newer ones. I'll have to give the passaround soaps she just sent me another smell to see what might fit your needs there. The ones I'm using from her now aren't as bold and complex. I know some of the newer ones are much more deep, richer scents.

@dfoulk have you tried Sicily shave soap? I now have a good idea about the soap base and I am eying few of his aftershaves. Since they are alcohol free and can be shipped international. Might pull trigger on Sicily soap as well if it has bold enough scent. Not keen on bay rum right now.

Yes, I have the soap and matching aftershave. Sicily is a really well done citrus scent. It's one that'll appeal to just about everyone. It's complex but still very easy on the nose. Not as bold and out there as some of the others but definitely interesting and not boring. Not synthetic or fake smelling at all. I really like it. I got to use it when we were on vacation on a cruise in Europe this past year, so I actually got to use Sicily in Sicily which was pretty cool. The aftershave would pair well with anything citrus that you might already own so you'd get some use out of it. If you were new to Tallow & Steel of weren't a fan of the really bold scents it's the one I'd recommend as a safe bet from them. So think complex and interesting but not overpowering. I would have recommended it to Brian above but he specifically said he wasn't into citrus.

While some people complain about T&S scents to me they are bold and interesting which is exactly what I'm drawn to. I love interesting, bold intense scents so I totally get it. With a lot of these I pick up something a little different each time I use them and I love that. Boring and synthetic smelling they certainly are not. Pretty much exactly what you're looking for from your description. If I had to pick a few I really like Maya, Boreal and Himalaya. Boreal is a deep rich forest scent. Really well done. Maya has a Coffee, Cocoa, Tobacco vibe to it but a lot more going on there with some citrus as well. I really enjoy it. Himalaya I have a much harder time describing but for me it just works. Cedar, Tobacco, Amber, Vanilla, and a bunch of other notes.

I do like West Indies but it's a Citrus forward bay rum scent. Think Bay Rum and Grapefruit with a lot of Grapefruit.

Sicily is the one that's likely appealing to most but probably not as appealing to you as it's a citrus scent that's going to be a bit more mainstream. It has a lot going on but maybe not quite as bold. Madagascar is a bit too floral for me or maybe it's the Ylang Ylang but it doesn't work for me personally.

I'd probably point you toward Boreal, Maya and Himalaya. West Indies is nice as well but likely after the others in terms of what you'd prefer.

In terms of Grooming Dept and Lisa's. With most of the Grooming Dept scents they aren't as strongly scented as the Tallow & Steel ones. They are however complex with many inspired by higher end colognes. I like most of what I try from them. For example I like their Incense and Rose scent. You'd think it would have two fragrances that make it up with those two being Incense & Rose. Not so much as their are like 71 different fragrances that make that one up. So with them even simple isn't simple. They do an outstanding job on the scents. I feel you'd likely be happy with just about anything you ordered from Grooming Dept.

Lisa's are a little less complex but she's getting bolder with some of the newer ones. I'll have to give the passaround soaps she just sent me another smell to see what might fit your needs there. The ones I'm using from her now aren't as bold and complex. I know some of the newer ones are much more deep, richer scents.
Thank you for the very detailed answer. I’m going to work through the ones you listed. Have a great week!

Brian,

Have been using this daily and you were correct. Very nice skin effects. My face isn’t really picky to begin with, but this soap has it feeling softer than normal.

Top Bottom