What's new

Tallow and Steel - Best Scent?

I just had my first shave with T&S West Indies. It was a first shave and usually my opinion of a soap improves as I use it more and work out how to best lather it, but it's already clear, that this is some terrific soap. Except, the scent is just horrible to me and nothing like what I was expecting from the description.

Honestly I get whiffs of Orange flavoured childrens asprin and cigarettes. Along with whiffs of what could almost be pleasant. I'm not sure if it's complex of schizophrenic. Very strange scent profile indeed. I'm going to leave the tub open for a while in hopes that will mellow the scent. In any case, I have a good tolerance for bad smells so it's not a deal breaker.

Anyway, with that out of the way, what T&S scents do you all like best (or least) and why?

My favourite scents are:
1) Boreal. Smells like a whole forest in a tub.
2) Maya.

These new T+S soaps are outstanding and have taken the #1 spot in my den. The performance and post-shave feel is second to none and the scents are very unique and complex. Love T+S.

The Maya is great, but I was a little on the fence when I first started using it. It has really grown on me and it has been fun picking out the individual fragrance notes during my shaves. Definitely one of the more complex scents I have encountered in a soap.

Maya was one of the options I was considering, I pretty much love anything with a citrus scent in it. BUT, there is exactly one scent I really don't like and that's tobacco. How strongly does the tobacco come through on Maya?

The Maya is great, but I was a little on the fence when I first started using it. It has really grown on me and it has been fun picking out the individual fragrance notes during my shaves. Definitely one of the more complex scents I have encountered in a soap.
Thanks for sharing! I only have the West Indies but I will be trying the Maya someday down the road.
Looking forward to those samples Maggards is going to put together.

Sent from my S8+ using Tapatalk
Woohoo, I had no idea but I'll definitely grab one of each of the scents I don't have yet. These definitely require some time in person to really get your mind around them.

PS for anybody on the fence about these scents. I was unsure about West Indies so I randomly applied the A/S one evening and took it in over a few hours. That really helped me become a fan of the scent, I recommend it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Maya was one of the options I was considering, I pretty much love anything with a citrus scent in it. BUT, there is exactly one scent I really don't like and that's tobacco. How strongly does the tobacco come through on Maya?

Not too strong to my nose. The dominant notes I get are cocoa and coffee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not too strong to my nose. The dominant notes I get are cocoa and coffee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree - with a bit of the citrus coming out when lathered, just enough to brighten it up a bit.
It's much more than coffee and cocoa though and not sweet. Dark and rich!

I like their Grog, but it is a touch lime-heavy. It's supposed to be their take on Bay Rum, I think. It's a refreshing summer scent.

I like them all, and my favorite is Morocco however I feel Maya is probably the safest cause it's mainly cocoa.

I would agree that Maya is their safest scent. To me, and the people I’ve shown it to, it smells like those Cola candies. I would agree that the dominant scents are cocoa and coffee. The lime/citrus comes through enough to give it a really nice richness.

I was able to check their soaps while I was in Winnipeg. It’s unfortunate that the dry soaps don’t smell all that great. Even the aftershave didn’t do it much justice. I walked out of the store with Maya being the smell that I tolerated the most, but I almost didn’t buy any of them. I’m glad I did though, because the scent really changes once it has been lathered. It’s one of my favourite scents now. It’s also easily the best performing soap that I have.

I was most disappointed with Boreal. It smelled like Vicks Vaporub to me. It was a very sharp, abrasive smell from the dry puck. After seeing how much Maya smoothed out after shaving with it, I’d be curious to see if Boreal would as well.

Himilaya has been my favorite of the new T&S scents. The aftershave lasts a long time without being too overpowering. It is unlike anything else I have smelled and is well blended.

After using the soap for a few weeks on a daily basis, I have to say I love this stuff, smell be dammed. Thankfully the smell has grown on me, and as the seasons begin to change, I can see this really being more of a cool weather scent.

Still with performance like this, I'll take it!

This also pairs really well with Floid Vigaroso or Amber, which is a big plus for me. I'd happily recommend this combo to anyone. The wife loves it too. :)

After using West Indies virtually exclusively since I bought it, I just finished the tub. That was about 90 shaves. Of course ymmv, being a bowl latherer with a synthetic brush, I get pretty good mileage out of soaps.

Having just broke open the new tub of West Indies, T&S have tweaked the scent for the better. The orange component is much stronger now, and more importantly more natrural. This is a scent that won’t have to grow on you!

Top Bottom