What's new

Talk to me about soap vs cream

I started off with Trumper’s soap, then moved to TOBS Sandalwood cream (which I loved), then added in some PdP soaps, then on to some SV, MdC, B&M, A&E, etc. soaps. My last order was an SV soap and a T&H cream. Go figure!

I get good lathers with all of them. I do like the variety of scents. Have fun.

I started off with Trumper’s soap, then moved to TOBS Sandalwood cream (which I loved), then added in some PdP soaps, then on to some SV, MdC, B&M, A&E, etc. soaps. My last order was an SV soap and a T&H cream. Go figure!

I get good lathers with all of them. I do like the variety of scents. Have fun.
I had TOBS sandalwood. Good cream but not a fan ( I know, minority) of the sent. However, I like the captains choice take on sandalwood.

I've actually revisited creams more regularly after not having done so since starting out and I have been getting the best shaves I've had in some time over soaps, which I've officially given up on at this point since I've always had on and off problems with the stuff clogging by plumbing if I rinse too much of the stuff into the sink, plus it sticking to my gear more making clean up a bit of a pain and longer lathering times to get it the way I want which for me gets tedious quick. It's a shame Stirling and B&M don't make a line of creams as well since I've always enjoyed their scents the most.

I like and use both, depending on my mood and what I happen to have on hand. That reminds me, I need to order some more shave sticks...

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
Well, I will tell you what! I need to buy more Stirling soaps, and with that said, I am very interested in buying their Lemon Chill soap next. That should be a perfect scent for summer time, citrus scent, and I think its supposed to give a cooling effect? Anyone confirm?

Anyways, ya, gotta get me some Lemon Chill shave soap. I think you get great value for the price on Stirling soaps. Cause think about it, each puck is 5.8 ounces, thats a big puk! And the price for their soaps is quite affordable I think. I'm also thinking about maybe trying out some Captains Choice soaps too coming up.
I haven't tried the Lemon chill but I have the Iced Pineapple. It as a good menthol kick and by the third pass you get a good face freeze. Plus it doesn't smell off chemicals just fresh Pineapple.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I haven't tried the Lemon chill but I have the Iced Pineapple. It as a good menthol kick and by the third pass you get a good face freeze. Plus it doesn't smell off chemicals just fresh Pineapple.

WOW, thats an old post, way back in April, when I was just taking my first giant leap for Stirling kind, and discovered how much I truly loved Stirling soaps. And it was Stirling soaps who turned me into a menthol junkie lol. Stirling Lemon Chill does indeed having a nice cooling effect from the menthol. But since I got Stirling Wintergreen, its got even more menthol in it, yes sir!

proxy.php

This is most recent pic I took, but I have one more in there
since picture was taken. The mountain is building folks!

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
WOW, thats an old post, way back in April, when I was just taking my first giant leap for Stirling kind, and discovered how much I truly loved Stirling soaps. And it was Stirling soaps who turned me into a menthol junkie lol. Stirling Lemon Chill does indeed having a nice cooling effect from the menthol. But since I got Stirling Wintergreen, its got even more menthol in it, yes sir!

proxy.php

This is most recent pic I took, but I have one more in there
since picture was taken. The mountain is building folks!
Looks like I'll have to be getting me some Wintergreen. Thanks for the tip mate 👍.

I started shaving 44 yrs ago using canned foam and a Trac II. When I switched to DE razor shaving 2 years ago the first soap, I got was Wilkinson Sword's in the blue container since it's all they had for sale next to the other shaving products. After I used it up, I bought the green container of the Proraso soap and boy what a huge difference over the Wilkinsons. I really like using the Proraso. It lathers easily and provides a good lubricant for the shave. I also like the cool feel it gives my skin since it contains menthol. I do plan to pick up a couple shaving creams in a tube like the Nivea or Cremo ones just to try.

I've had a better time with the proraso cream than the soap, but I've found that the main difference is how easy it is to get the proper amount of soap with the cream over the harder puck. If you load them to the same amount, they are probably exactly the same but the hard one lasts longer.

I've always looked at shaving cream as just shaving soap with more hydration to it. I use both without really thinking about it. Decent soaps and creams are easy to lather and give one a great shave.

I had TOBS sandalwood. Good cream but not a fan ( I know, minority) of the sent. However, I like the captains choice take on sandalwood.
The thing about TOBS Sandalwood is it smells nothing like sandalwood. Regardless, of what I've used over the years, if I had a favorite scent I think this would be it. Proraso Red smells more like what I think sandalwood actually smells like.

I started with soaps but recent experience with creams is that you can whip a perfect lather in no time.

Top Bottom