What's new

Talk to me about soap vs cream

I have been buying cream such as proraso and Captains Choice creams for the past couple years. Tell me about the difference in a soap instead.

From my way of thinking if it’s thin enough to squeeze from a tube like toothpaste then it’s a cream. If it’s too thick for that regardless of consistency then I consider it to be a soap regardless of what the manufacturer says it is

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I never have used creams, only soaps. But from what I can see in Youtube video's, creams can be whipped up into a lather much faster then soaps. Having said that however, not too many people claim to have an amazing shave with a cream, so YMMV with creams.

Now, with soaps, as has already been said, tons more variations of them, different scents, different textures and types. You can have cheap stuff like Tabac or Proasso, or more expensive artisan soaps. Either way, you want a soap that smells good, and performs good, as long as it can do that, then its great!

I have 1-container of Tabac Original with talow. I have 3 containers of Proraso. I have 2 containers of Catie's Bubbles. I have 1 container of Stirling Black Cherry. I will have to get more soaps, not because I need them, but because I want more scent variety.

Thats part of how we fall into the rabbit hole BTW. There is a dividing line between what we need, and what we want. Our wants tend to override our needs, and we go face first into the abyss, only to end up with a lot more stuff lol. Its all good fun though.

Soap soap soap soap, soapady soap, soapdady soap! 🧼

I have been buying cream such as proraso and Captains Choice creams for the past couple years. Tell me about the difference in a soap instead.
Shaving creams have a higher water content and it is easy to apply the right amount straight into the brush or distribute onto your skin. That makes creams easy to use. Creams are more economical than shaving foam and gel in cans, but like shaving soaps require a brush (unless it is a ‘brushless’ product).
Many shavers who have not elevated shaving to a pastime (like us) prefer creams to soaps because they are just simpler to use and mass market brands found in supermarkets like Palmolive, Nivea, Proraso, La Toja, and their own store brands are usually shaving creams or semi-soft soaps like (again) Proraso. British and Spanish/Portuguese producers (e.g. Taylor of Old Bond Street, Musgo Real) in particular often have a wider range of creams than soaps.
Shaving creams can dry out and carry in the EU a Period After Opening (PAO) symbol (number of months followed by ‘M’ e.g. ‘36 M’ ), but many products can be used considerably longer than this assurance.

Shaving soaps are more concentrated, last longer and there is a larger variety of them because some smaller (artisan) producer only produce soaps (e.g. Mitchells Wool Fat, Haslinger). They are not quite as easy to apply than creams, but easier to store and carry (in carry-on baggage on flights).

Many shaving enthusiasts prefer shaving soap over creams, but to me variants of both products have earned a well-deserved space in my cabinet.

B

I am going to have to pick a soap out and try one. I’ll look for something fresh and light for the summer months.

If you guys have a suggestion that fits that toss it out there.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I am going to have to pick a soap out and try one. I’ll look for something fresh and light for the summer months.

If you guys have a suggestion that fits that toss it out there.

Well, I will tell you what! I need to buy more Stirling soaps, and with that said, I am very interested in buying their Lemon Chill soap next. That should be a perfect scent for summer time, citrus scent, and I think its supposed to give a cooling effect? Anyone confirm?

Anyways, ya, gotta get me some Lemon Chill shave soap. I think you get great value for the price on Stirling soaps. Cause think about it, each puck is 5.8 ounces, thats a big puk! And the price for their soaps is quite affordable I think. I'm also thinking about maybe trying out some Captains Choice soaps too coming up.

Well, I will tell you what! I need to buy more Stirling soaps, and with that said, I am very interested in buying their Lemon Chill soap next. That should be a perfect scent for summer time, citrus scent, and I think its supposed to give a cooling effect? Anyone confirm?

Anyways, ya, gotta get me some Lemon Chill shave soap. I think you get great value for the price on Stirling soaps. Cause think about it, each puck is 5.8 ounces, thats a big puk! And the price for their soaps is quite affordable I think. I'm also thinking about maybe trying out some Captains Choice soaps too coming up.
I was just looking at that brand. Vet owned I read as well.

I had used creams only in the beginning, then I tried some soaps too. Coming from creams, my $0.02 to good lather with soaps is, load it like you stole it. seriously, load it until it seems too much, and then some. There are some guys who can shave with 0.5-1g of soap per shave, I suppose that is not me, but never measured it. :)

P.s.: I'm face lathering 100% of the time.
P.s.2: I load ~40-60 seconds.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I had used creams only in the beginning, then I tried some soaps too. Coming from creams, my $0.02 to good lather with soaps is, load it like you stole it. seriously, load it until it seems too much, and then some. There are some guys who can shave with 0.5-1g of soap per shave, I suppose that is not me, but never measured it. :)

P.s.: I'm face lathering 100% of the time.
P.s.2: I load ~40-60 seconds.

You are just too cool for school! 😎 I too have seen that in videos. I'm the kind of dude that likes a good thick lather.

I started out with Tabac as my first shaving soap, glad I did, cause it taught me what a quality thick and slick lather can do. I use Tabac as like the soap guiding bible.

If a soap can perform like Tabac, and even better yet, smell better doing it, that soap is a keeper! So far I'm loving Stirling!

Black Cherry 🍒 where are you? Come here boy! [Whistles]
proxy.php

There you are, my faithful soap indeed. 😁

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Good question, and my excellent answer is I don't really know.

I used creams for years and eventually ended up with only soaps. I haven't used cream in a long time and recently found a jar of Castle Forbes Lavender cream in a closet. It's nice stuff and gives me the same results as soaps, so I don't think it matters. Excellent creams and excellent soaps both produce great results.

But when it's gone I'll happily go back to just using soaps. I'm a mystery.

I just put in an order for a sampler from Stirling

mountain man
eucalyptus
campania
rambln man
barber shop
sandlwood

picked up sampler or splashes for some of them too.

Heck...throw in one of their coffee's too. Why not

I just prefer soaps! Tried a few creams and found that I enjoy soaps more.

For an easy to use soap, consider one of the excellent shave sticks, such as La Toja or Speick! :a29:

Top Bottom