What's new

Talk me out of the Emperor 2!

SBAD!!!:a32:

I think I found my dream brush in my Simpson Chubby 1 in Super. I've never bowl lathered but somehow I came to the conclusion that I need a new brush for bowl lathering. Very dumb, I know, but I blame pretty much everyone reading this for inflicting me with this disorder.

After staving off the urges in the days, only for them to return in the wee hours of the morning, I finally succumbed and ordered an Emperor 2 first thing this morning. I think the Emperor 3 was a little closer to what I was looking for but the 2 was cheaper so I jumped on it.

Now I need you guys to talk me out of it. I don't think I need this brush. It's gonna be too small right??? Or not dense enough???? Bowl lathering is for weinies?????

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I have the same / similar problem .... I keep looking at lather bowls but I face lather.

You don't need it. Bowl lathering is over rated. Save your money for some other shaving gear. There, does this help? :wink2:

Lol I would take this advice in ernest but with my sensitive skin my Feather AS-D2 (which I caught on sale) is keep RAD away... for now. Also I was planning on buying a Chubby 1 in Super but I got one as gift over the holidays, so I saved a good bit of money on that too. I have to do the math but I don't think I blew all that money on soaps and AS, but I can't say for sure.

Good thing so many Paladins are sold out, really love their Churchill design! Would love a 26mm or 28mm in Briar.

you'll love the simpson emperor 2, a near perfect all-around brush, soft yet good backbone.
nice handle as well.
good complement to your chubby.
enjoy!

cella simpson schulze friday february 24 2017.jpg

My man Sarimento, beautiful pic. I like it more seeing it in bloom, what do you think of the density
relatively dense given the standard size, which lends to good soap performance. probably not quite as dense as your chubby.

relatively dense given the standard size, which lends to good soap performance. probably not quite as dense as your chubby.

Is there an E3 or Captain 2 in your arsenal? Those were all the main brushes I was considering. Also the 58 but less so.

Is there an E3 or Captain 2 in your arsenal? Those were all the main brushes I was considering. Also the 58 but less so.
nope. perhaps four or six simpsons. milk churn, tulip, wee, chubby, emperor, keyhole. all nice. might add persian jar sometime. his brushes are all classics.

Don’t compromise! It doesn’t matter how good the compromise brush is, you, if you are anything like me, will always end up with the brush you really wanted. If you want a 3 and get the 2, you will wonder how much more you would have liked the 3, and the only answer is to eventually buy the 3. I did the same with my travel brush and wasn’t happy until I purchased my Major in super.

@JMax would these brushes will help you walk away from the Simpsons, because you can save a lot more money is called the Maseto is fantastic for face or bowl lathering of your choice.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Now I need you guys to talk me out of it. I don't think I need this brush. It's gonna be too small right??? Or not dense enough???? Bowl lathering is for weinies?????
You don't need it.
It's too big.
Get a Wee Scot.
Or a Special 1 in Best Badger if you really want something bigger. I bowl lather with both. Not at the same time, of course.
You will save much money (a.) by buying a less expensive brush, and (b.) by not washing all that unused lather down the drain.
Plus, the Wee Scot is just so darn cute, like a puppy or a Smart Car. :em2200:

Actually, having possession of all three Emperors, the 2 is the sweet spot in that group. Not that the conservation offered by the 1 doesn't help you conserve soaps you really like but don't want to use quite so quickly. Or, the 3, which gives you a very similar feel to the 2 but just more luxuriously.

So, ya, all said; you need all three.

Oh, and if you haven't tried a "The Duke" in 3 best - you're really missing something you'll regret.

Hay! Wait! Is this the sabbatical thread? No? ok, good, I wouldn't want to be caught working as a double agent against the cause!

Actually, having possession of all three Emperors, the 2 is the sweet spot in that group. Not that the conservation offered by the 1 doesn't help you conserve soaps you really like but don't want to use quite so quickly. Or, the 3, which gives you a very similar feel to the 2 but just more luxuriously.

So, ya, all said; you need all three.

Oh, and if you haven't tried a "The Duke" in 3 best - you're really missing something you'll regret.

Hay! Wait! Is this the sabbatical thread? No? ok, good, I wouldn't want to be caught working as a double agent against the cause!

For bowl lathering you think the Duke 3 is better than the E2? Keep in mind I have a Chubby 1 in super, which seems to be a similar brush to the Duke 3 only with super hair and more density.

As an owner of an E2 and E3 (and D3?) your opinion is highly valued (as is everyone's who has contributed to this thread).

Anyone have any experience with the Stirling badger brushes? For the price they seem hard to beat, but is it just for the price or would they still be good at $80-$100?

IMG_0318.JPG
Just got this little lather bowl from Vikings Blade. Will be perfect size for the Emperor, but it's so short that the Chubby works really nicely with it too. Big plus AND big minus for the E2.

IMG_0320.JPG
Just so happens to fit perfectly into this camp mug. Excited to see if it will keep my lather warm. If not will just have to lather in it and place it in my DB scuttle between passes.
Dirty Bird.JPG

IMG_20180110_155509.jpg

In a Captain's Choice large shave bowl you can see both E2 and Duke3 side by side. I had to put both in hand one after another to come up with some observations. The physical geometry you can see right here. The sense of brush is interesting. The E2 is only maybe 10 shaves in. The D3 is unknown + 3 (purchased used and returned to a tissue roll and factory box the brush doesn't show it's use yet). The Duke is a bit larger and the loft feels full and dense. The E2 is a bit more stiff at the moment. I believe it's because they do put a very nice roll of badger bristles into both that they feel as similar as they do. The E2 doesn't require as much soap, but at this level it's very little difference. The D3 seems to be one of those storied soft tip bests Face feel is wonderful. These sized knots are about as large as I need. The E3 is starting to go "ripe" and the 25+ items I have are just massive overkill and tougher to get similar results in dishes this size. Although I have this glass tiffany candy bowl that works for my Paladin, Kents, and lg Omega badgers.

Top Bottom