What's new

Talk me out of spending $200+ on shaving stuff

I didn't buy anything for over 2 years with the exception of soaps and splashes that I ran out of. In 2020, I sold off everything and bought all kinds of new stuff. I am trying like hell to not purchase anything else in 2021 with the exception of a 2nd Wolfman, which I am waitlisted for. So far, so good.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Budget and enjoy.

I don't gamble, but understand when people have a strict entertainment budget - say $150 - and use it gambling.

(I know it's an addiction. I know ya ain't gonna win. But if you gamble, it's none of my business.)

Definitely better to spend that same sum on shaving stuff! :punk: If it's in the budget.

AA

Conspicuous consumption is my mantra..... ;) ;)

I always upvote Thornstein Veblen. His "Theory of the Leisure Class" was so prescient it's astonishing. He explained the the kardashians and Instagram 120 years before either even existed.

He also coined the terms "invidious distinction" (seeking power by inspiring envy), and "pecuniary emulation" (the instinct to keep up with the Jonses).

I hadn't really thought about a kardashian ethos applied to shaving. Now that I think about it though, Badger and Blade does facilitate conspicuous consumption, does inspire people to buy the newest gear (invidious distinction), and does generate a sort of peer pressure to buy more unnecessary stuff (pecuniary emulation). Holy crap. Is Badger and Blade basically the instagram of shaving?

Last edited:
I am afraid most of us are still in that same spot over and over again....
But my 10 cents

After years and over a dozen of razors, soaps, blades etc waaaaaay over a grand in total.

If I sticked with my $8 qshave futul, a box of gsb a stick of arko (yes yaaaiks) a decent cheap synthetic brush I would be able to get a bbs with relative ease. Since I would stick to my gear my technique would only improve. And cost would be pennies...

And I would have missed out on a lot of funn on the road.
And though I still use all that just not daily I am happy with the ride.

Sorry failed 😝

I always upvote Thornstein Veblen. His "Theory of the Leisure Class" was so prescient it's astonishing. He explained the the kardashians and Instagram 120 years before either even existed.

In addition to "conspicuous consumption" he also coined the terms "invidious distinction" (seeking power by inspiring envy), and "pecuniary emulation" (the instinct to keep up with the Jonses).

I hadn't really thought about a kardashian ethos applied to shaving. Now that I think about it though, Badger and Blade does facilitate conspicuous consumption, does inspire people to buy the newest gear (invidious distinction), and does generate a sort of peer pressure to buy more unnecessary stuff (pecuniary emulation). Holy crap. Is Badger and Blade basically the instagram of shaving?

Another relevant term sometimes attributed to Veblen is "performative shaving". Performative shaving occurs when shaving becomes an end unto itself, and is articulated to others. It is characterized by a competitive obsession with marginal reductions in whisker length, often measured in nanometers, either through improvements in tools or techniques, followed by the communication of said improvements to others.

It should be noted that "performative shaving" is distinctly different than the "kardasian ethos of shaving". Although both share an underlying competitive and performative component, the former is outcome focused, where-as the latter seeks advantage/status via consumption.

Personally, I lean towards the minimalist school of performative shaving. This school of thought contends that improvements in shaving outcomes are rooted in technique more than equipment, and furthermore that familiarity with one's equipment is the key to mastery of it. Thus it is preferable to have as few tools as possible, which allows the adherent to master his tools, allowing him to focus his attention on improvements in technique.

@Cyanshine, is your goal in purchasing more equipment primarily the pleasure obtained through trying new products, or is your goal to improve the quality of your shaves? If the former, my two cents is that you should buy more stuff. If the latter, my two cents is that you should get rid of most of the stuff you already have. Sadly, I have only 3 cents, so it can't be both.

YMMV.

Last edited:
Now that I think about it though, Badger and Blade does facilitate conspicuous consumption

Interesting post.

I think it's OK to have a hobby. Exploring tools and their use is a very human thing to do. The richly textured scents in good soaps & after shaves are a kind of pampering for men. And why not?

There are limits, of course. If you're buying more stuff than you can actually use that's a bad sign but if you stick to an affordable budget, and you do actually use everything you buy, you're probably OK.

If I could do it over again I wouldn't have a tenth of the razors, blades, soaps, and brushes I've managed to accumulate since 2017. But, I can't go back in time; I can only share what I've learned in hopes of preventing others from making similar mistakes. Razors and brushes can last a lifetime if properly maintained. Blades and soaps can easily be replenished as they're consumed. All of this stuff (well, most of it anyway) will be available when the time comes to restock. Those products no longer available will be replaced by something else. I've been brushing my teeth every day since I first understood the concept of cavities, and I've never felt a need to own a dozen different toothbrushes and/or brands of toothpaste. I failed to read the warning signs posted by others and got caught in the undertow and almost swept out to sea. I've now managed to resurface and I'm slowly making my way back to shore.

Thank you all for your amazing replies and solid advice! This is why I love this community!
You made compelling arguments and there were several statements that delve even into the philosophical!
You convinced me to put off the spending. You are right. I don’t need any of it right now and most of it will still be around when I need a replacement. Better work on my technique and use up the consumables I already have!
Kudos to you and thanks again!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Your problem is not your spending (" I have not spent much on shaving supplies in the last years."), your problem is your bad attitude about spending.

I suggest the following:

1. I'm sorry to have to be the one to tell you this, but you're going to die someday. Your beneficiaries are going to spend your money like water (as well they should)! Why do you go to work: food, shelter, retirement savings - and spending on enjoyment! If you've take care of all the necessities, and clearly have no history of spending issues, why all the angst? Life should not be this grim.

2. You can load up your cart for $250???? Stop buying the cheap stuff!!! Get a nice brush and some MdC and SV soap. Lighten up and live a little (unless you're spending your families food money - then forget this whole post).

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Your problem is not your spending (" I have not spent much on shaving supplies in the last years."), your problem is your bad attitude about spending.

I suggest the following:

1. I'm sorry to have to be the one to tell you this, but you're going to die someday. Your beneficiaries are going to spend your money like water (as well they should)! Why do you go to work: food, shelter, retirement savings - and spending on enjoyment! If you've take care of all the necessities, and clearly have no history of spending issues, why all the angst? Life should not be this grim.

2. You can load up your cart for $250???? Stop buying the cheap stuff!!! Get a nice brush and some MdC and SV soap. Lighten up and live a little (unless you're spending your families food money - then forget this whole post).

This is, of course, the other side of the coin! I may place an order at the local pizzeria this evening and get a pie...with toppings! Nevermind this frozen nonsense!

Top Bottom