What's new

Talk me out of buying a Rex Konsul

So I have a work trip that is going to take me to Phoenix in a week or so. I plan on paying an in-person visit to Razor Emporium and buying some goodies. I have been spending money on pricey razors lately and I am trying to not, but I hear that the Konsul is fantastic for sensitive skin faces. I originally didn't plan on buying another razor but this has piqued my interest a lot and since I happen to be able to go in person to check it out, I am having a tough time finding the reasons to NOT buy this razor lol.

To give you an example of some of the razors I have. In the current rotation are:

Timeless scalloped .95
Blackland Blackbird
Rockwell T2
Pearl Flexi

Would the Konsul be a good addition to the fleet, and more so, would it be a good match for my face?

I visited Razor Emporium in person in July 2022. The retail space is small but there are lots of items of various brands. I bought a Cella soap, an Arko stick, and a Razor Emporium soap. The employee there (I can't remember her name but she was very polite and professional) also tossed in a soap sampler of their various shave soaps. The Razor Emporium soap performs very well for me even with my hard water.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Would the Konsul be a good addition to the fleet, and more so, would it be a good match for my face?

I took myself off the list to buy a Wolfman to get a Konsul. It's a lovely razor. I had a moment of thinking, "I just paid what for a razor?" but frankly I think it's worth every one of those thirty-five thousand cents.

But that's me. It worked out. There's only one way to know if it'll work for you. The upside is that if it doesn't you won't have to hold onto it and regret your purchase. Someone will take it off your hands right quick, I imagine.

O.H.

I visited Razor Emporium in person in July 2022. The retail space is small but there are lots of items of various brands. I bought a Cella soap, an Arko stick, and a Razor Emporium soap. The employee there (I can't remember her name but she was very polite and professional) also tossed in a soap sampler of their various shave soaps. The Razor Emporium soap performs very well for me even with my hard water.

I am looking forward to visiting. I might pick up one of their soaps as well.

Ask for the full shop tour. Ambassador is the way to go…in gold. The gold plating makes it glide around the face like unicorn 🦄 salvia to magically remove hairs with even the worst blades. Bonus it looks great sitting sink-side with the matching stand.

You're actually asking on B&B to get talked out of buying a razor.
Only encouragement for purchasing is what we do here. It's unpleasant to not buy!
No one here will ever break the code of enabling!;)
I do not 'enable' unless if it is in reponse to a specific product enquiry which will satisfy an obvious need, such as an enquiry for a beginner OC razor or the like. I certainly do not follow that consumer-driven 'code' to be honest. With all respect to @LRod.

The exception is my constant encouragement of colleagues to try the wonderful world of vintage razors be they DE or SE, which are still relatively economic to purchase.

I would suggest you do not buy it. It sounds as if you have a good collection of modern high end razors, all capable of giving an equally satisfying shave I assume.

But it is your money, and your urges.

The choice is yours.

Last edited:
I do not 'enable' unless if it is in reponse to a specific product enquiry which will satisfy an obvious need, such as an enquiry for a beginner OC razor or the like. I certainly do not follow that consumer-driven 'code' to be honest. With all respect to @LRod.

The exception is my constant encouragement of colleagues to try the wonderful world of vintage razors be they DE or SE, which are still relatively economic to purchase.

I would suggest you do not buy it. It sounds as if you have a good collection of modern high end razors, all capable of giving an equally satisfying shave I assume.

But it is your money, and your urges.

The choice is yours.
My response was simply for entertainment purposes!:)

Of the razors you mention, I can only compare it to the Blackbird. The Konsul is just as wonderfully efficient but smooooth feeling. (I only tried one on loan; I do not own a Konsul).

Top Bottom