What's new

Talk me off the ledge (first lathe)...

... and so it begins.

upload_2019-3-25_16-7-37.png

Nice going mate I wont be far behind ya lol....

Looking forward to seeing your first handle of that beauty....

The Jet is a very decent mini lathe.

I get knots from The Golden Nib. They have some great knots at affordable prices, and they also have quality pen making parts when you are ready for that rabbit hole.

Congrats! I like The Golden Nib for knots too, but prefer www.exoticblanks.com for all my penmaking supplies. I know you said you weren’t going to be making any but the accuracy needed for a good pen will make you a better turner and improve your finishing capabilities. They’re also great gifts.

Congrats! I like The Golden Nib for knots too, but prefer www.exoticblanks.com for all my penmaking supplies. I know you said you weren’t going to be making any but the accuracy needed for a good pen will make you a better turner and improve your finishing capabilities. They’re also great gifts.

I'm not opposed to turning pens I just wanted to gear this whole endeavor on brushes. Whatever I can do from this point I'm sure I'll dabble in.

Well I have taken the plunge into the unknown, just bought this JET Jwl-1221vs 12inch by 24inch Variable Speed Woodturning Lathe with two Nova Chucks. but also a jacobs chuck and an extensive set of Robert Sorby tool rests both straight and curved, long and short as well as the original standard tool rests. Just now need to fetch it....

2.jpg

WTG @Ice-Man! For safety’s sake, if the jacob’s chuck isn’t threaded to accept a drawbar don’t use it in the headstock, only the tailstock. Keen a firm hand on it when drilling if it’s in the tailstock, it can be pulled out when you withdraw the bit.

WTG @Ice-Man! For safety’s sake, if the jacob’s chuck isn’t threaded to accept a drawbar don’t use it in the headstock, only the tailstock. Keen a firm hand on it when drilling if it’s in the tailstock, it can be pulled out when you withdraw the bit.

Thank you Sir!!! Once I get it I will take more pictures, the gent used it for turning pen blanks and a few bowls. He also said I was wondering if you have any experience with a lathe or know what you want to make etc. since I have a load of stuff here you may want if you wish. I mainly made bowls and pens so I have all the stuff you may need......

Very nice!

Thank you Ralph!!! I think this is going to be enjoyable for sure.....

... since I have a load of stuff here you may want if you wish. I mainly made bowls and pens so I have all the stuff you may need...

Check out what he has, you may get a killer deal on some pen kits/bushings/blanks. Stay away from Slimline type or 7mm kits. They’re always a first choice for beginners because they’re cheap, but they’re also one of the more difficult styles to pull off correctly. Any single barrel kit (especially a Sierra type) is great.

Check out what he has, you may get a killer deal on some pen kits/bushings/blanks. Stay away from Slimline type or 7mm kits. They’re always a first choice for beginners because they’re cheap, but they’re also one of the more difficult styles to pull off correctly. Any single barrel kit (especially a Sierra type) is great.

Thank you so much for the info, I just might see how much he wants for the lot and if its not a bad price just take it all. As I would have thought he would still have the tools, I do know 2 makers Sorby and Taylor that Rudy said in a post.

But then comes the next thing is Dust extraction I was looking at this

Lumberjack UDE65 65L Chip and Dust Extractor

Our Chip and Dust Extractor is ideal for stationary and semi-stationary woodworking machines. Extremely portable and lightweight, it comes with a large fast change 65L capacity bag. It is supplied complete with a robust 2m hose. An essential tool for keeping your workshop clean.

Features:
  • Large 65L Collection Bag
  • Reduces Dust Content
  • Portable
  • 2m Hose
  • Powerful 550W Motor
  • StableStand
  • Lightweight
With a Plastic Cyclone Dust Collector Filter into a plastic box so I can pipe up to the, lathe belt sander bench saw fret saw and a hand plainer. or would that be overkill or would this be a better option The Record Power CX2000 Compact Chip Collector......

Either one looks pretty nice. The Lumberjack doesn’t cost too terribly much more, if it pulls a decent amount of vacuum over the Record Power it’s worth spending the extra IMO. And as Rudy mentioned, Sorby tools are great. My personal opinion is they can’t be beat for the price, which is why all of my traditional tools - up somewhere in the teens - are Sorby. There’s no need to go crazy on a big set of tools either. A 3/4” or larger roughing gouge, 3/8” spindle gouge, and 3/4” or 1” skew - we both like the oval - will have you learning proper technique while being plenty to make anything you want short of bowls for quite some time. Don’t get me wrong, if the guy has an insane deal on other tools take it, but there’s no need to start with anything else. Just my 2 cents...

Thank you Sir!!! the Lumberjack the specs for that are,

Specifications:
  • Motor-550w 230w
  • Max Vacuum- 1600pa
  • Max Vol Flow- 900mph
  • Filter Surface- 1m Squared
  • Hose Connection- 100mm
  • Chip Bag Capacity- 65L
  • Weight- 22kg
  • Dimensions- 830 x 450 x 1600mm

And the Record Power are

specification
Watts 3/4 hp W
Flow Rate 850 m3/h
Bag Capacity 54 Litre
Weight 15 kg
Dimensions WxDxH (mm) 670 x 370 1520

So between the 2 the LumberJack looks to be the better one as it has a plastic bag where the Record has a cloth bag

Top Bottom