What's new

Talk me into or out of a slant

I think a 39C is my next razor. Currently use my Red Tip nearly every day but want to try something else. Seemed like a logical progression for some reason. I also have one of those beards that is stubble at 10AM, so always looking for a closer shave.

Why should I try a slant? What are the advantages or disadvantages to using one versus a regular DE?

It depends what you want to achieve from using a slant. Do you want a closer shave? Do you want a quicker shave, with less passes & touch ups? Do you just want a different shaving experience?

I have an Ikon Slant, which most people seem to agree is more aggressive than the Merkur slants. However, I get a closer 3 pass shave from my medium aggressive open combs (Gillette New LC, Tradere & Ikon Deluxe) than I do with my slant. I would say that a 2 pass shave (WTG + XTG) with my slant, gives as close a shave as I get with 3 passes (including an ATG pass) using my Muhle R89. The only genuine 2 pass BBS shave I have achieved has been with my 2013 Muhle R41.

I would say that my slant just edges my Tradere in terms of smoothness of shave, but there isn’t much in it. However, my slant is the only one of my 30 or so razors that gives me razor burn on a regular basis. I think it is the ATG stroke that causes this irritation, which is probably down to me not getting the angle right.

I love the shaving experience that my slant gives me, as it slices effortlessly & very noisily through my stubble. This is why I keep going back to my slant, despite the pretty average shaving results it achieves.

I have a Merkur 39c and it is excellent.
I expected it to be an aggressive razor due to the large blade gap but found this to not be the case at all.
It cuts effortlessly and is as smooth as can be. Smooth like, wondering if there is a blade in it smooth.

Only negative is it takes some practice in order to get a good shave under your nose. This challenge is due to the over sized slant shave head.

Well I wonder if I could solve the problem of the shaving under the nose by just using a different razor for that part? Seems better than fighting something that doesn't seem to work.

slants are scary and dangerous. if you need convincing then I suggest you stay well away. get yourself a tech or a mach 3.

Top Bottom