What's new

Tale of the U-G-L-Y Toggle!

Gentlemen,

I sent off my Ugly Toggling this morning to Alex for the first part of the restoration. The adjustment knob turns, but the mechanism itself is frozen. Add to that the immense abuse the plating has received in the last 54 years, and you have a very, very Ugly Toggling.

If Alex works his magic, its off to one of our fine B&B replaters - I think Rhodium or Gold, probably Rhodium.

If all comes out as hoped, I'll post pictures of the beautiful Toggle Swan this Ugly Toggling becomes!!

$IMG_0807.jpg

$IMG_0808.jpg

$IMG_0809.jpg

If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, better make an ugly toggle your... No I guess that doesn't work.

Anyway I'm anxious to see the transformation.

If there are no broken parts inside I am confident that this poor mistreated toggle will come back to life and shine like new.
Good luck Alex and Kramerica!

It's been a cold morning here with too much coffee! so enjoy my lapse in judgement

A: "Is she pretty?"

B: "She has got a really great personality!!"

A: "So she's Foggley

B: "She's NO FOOGLE!"

C: " Her facebook looks like a glamour shots

proxy.php

A: "OOOOHH!!! She's a twin! score- it's gonna be a menage-a-toggle"

B: "That's so not her!"

A: "Damn those toggles are hotties!, wishing it was"

B: "Well, here is a pic of her mom, and she looks just like her!

proxy.php

C: "Daaaam, look at those threads"

hope your toggle comes out looking great!

Alex's post #7 is pretty dead on - it ain't pretty!

Thanks for the well wishes guys, hopefully I'll be back in a couple of months with amazing before/after shots.

It's been a cold morning here with too much coffee! so enjoy my lapse in judgement

A: "Is she pretty?"

B: "She has got a really great personality!!"

A: "So she's Foggley

B: "She's NO FOOGLE!"

C: " Her facebook looks like a glamour shots

proxy.php

A: "OOOOHH!!! She's a twin! score- it's gonna be a menage-a-toggle"

B: "That's so not her!"

A: "Damn those toggles are hotties!, wishing it was"

B: "Well, here is a pic of her mom, and she looks just like her!

proxy.php

C: "Daaaam, look at those threads"

hope your toggle comes out looking great!
:lol:

I've always been under the impression that gold lacquered razors were corroding more badly than the other.
I agree. And I think this is due to the fact that gold plating due to its higher cost of material went on thinner than nickel and silver plating, and rhodium, while also very costly (thus sparely applied I guess) is much more resistant to abrasion than gold.

OK, the Toggle is out of intensive care and looks like it can function again at a 80% rate, it was stuck at one and now it can go to 8 , maybe more but it had bad internal damage.

$1.jpg$2.jpg$3.jpg$1.jpg$22.jpg

$3.jpg

you can see the gap is not normal when compared to another similar Toggle. This had to be worked out.

$a.jpg

Attachments

• $a.jpg
    $a.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Nice work there Alex. Another one at least mostly back from the scrap heap. I would gladly take a toggle that only went to 8. I'd likely never use it past 5-6. Can't wait to see the rest of the restoration project.

Nice work there Alex. Another one at least mostly back from the scrap heap. I would gladly take a toggle that only went to 8. I'd likely never use it past 5-6. Can't wait to see the rest of the restoration project.

Right now i am trying hot water and other procedures. The Toggle is too brittle to take apart, it would break at the toggle pin area. I think i can get it to adjust from either to 8 setting which is like a 90 percent improvement.

Top Bottom