What's new

Talc

I a shave video for SV soap, the guy ended by dusting talc on his face with a shave brush. I've not seen this mentioned before and wondered if anyone did this.

Barbers used to dust talc on the back of the neck.

Maybe some still do.

Yep! Old barbers did that here too! One of my favourite moments when going to the barber as a boy... The brush was so soft... I saw one on sale on Amazon the other day. My theory was that the talc powder helped detaching any cut hair stuck on your skin.

Barbers do it so it helps with any irritation specialy on the neck when custumers have to wear suit and tie after the shave, it really helps!

I remember my barber doing that.
Now it is harder to find talc.
Pinaud Clubman has gone to cornstarch which does not work as well.

I’ve had a tin of TOBS sandalwood talc sitting in my cabinet forever, not really sure what to do with it...

Talc is a lubricate believe it or not. It is the medium used to blow optical fibers through ducking in the IT world. Barbers use this around the collar area to reduce irritation caused by friction. I use talc from time to time when dressing formal.

I liked the idea of the talc in the video. He sprinkled some on a dry brush and brushed it over his face. I shave with chubby 3 and this brush would ideal,, thick and soft on your face.

I apply powder sometimes. More likely too in summer if sunburned. Some of the matte finish head moisturizers/conditioners have a powder in them. I use burt’s bees and believe it is talc free.

Floyd kept a large duster brush in his pocket.

C004055B-F3DA-43E4-869D-9FF18BA670E6.jpeg

I took a look at the container of baby powder in the bathroom (which we never actually used on the baby) and the ingrediaing were talc anfd ragrance. I actually like the smell of it, so if you need talc instead cornstarch the Johnson and Johnson baby powder is an option.

I a shave video for SV soap, the guy ended by dusting talc on his face with a shave brush. I've not seen this mentioned before and wondered if anyone did this.
Talc has largely gone out of use for most people due to the bad press it has gotten over the years. More specifically a lot of media was around suggesting it caused cancer etc. However, many years ago I use to wet shave and then use talc on the face in order to have an electric shave straight after. This was before wet and dry electric shavers. Why did I do this? Well because I was one of those individuals who struggled going against the grain and this method helped me in getting a very close shave. Electric razors work well for me because I have very coarse hair so they largely pick up stubble I missed. Nowadays I just skip the talc and lather again after a couple of passes in order to use the electric razor. Probably the only person in the world that does this but hey works for me.

Talc is great after hanging bats of installation, helps get rid of itchy fibers from skin. not sure if corn meal will work.

The old school talc, like pre-1970s vintage, had asbestos in it. Nowadays the asbestos is removed in the refining process.

Not all vintage talc had asbestos in it. It depended on the mine the talc was removed from.

Like vermiculite which got bad press, only vermiculite from one mine (the Libby mine in Montana) had asbestos in it.

We live near the beach and there's always the problem of all that same stuck between your toes when you head to the car it inside. A liberal dusting of baby powder pulls all the mystery from the same and it just brushes off effortlessly.

I assume talc after a haircut would also remove the moisture, allow the clinging hairs to be brushed off, and provide some friction reduction in the same way.

But... I don't know if I need that on my face after a shave...

I use Clubman powder every night after my shower and every morning as well. I sprinkle some in my underwear and put some on the back of neck and on my upper back and shoulders. Put some under my arms also. Makes me feel fresh and clean for a good while afterwards. I do remember the old barbers using talc with a duster on my neck. My current barber doesn't use it though.

Top Bottom