What's new

Talc Vs. Cornstarch

I use talc most days after my shave. Mostly it's nostalgia for the old barbershops. I also use it on my shaved head to reduce the shine. I buy the Imperial Leather Talcum from Amazon. Willie and the twins seem to prefer the cornstarch based Clubman powder for some reason.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
For a well regarded use of cornstarch, watch Chef. Fun flick with Emjay Anthony, Jon Favreau, Sophia Vergara, Scarlett Johansson, Dustin Hoffman, John Leguizamo, Robert Downey, Jr., and Oliver Platt. Anthony, Leguizamo, and Favreau handle the cornstarch scene with great finesse.

Corn starch should be safe to breathe since it is food, easily and quickly decomposed into sugars and metabolized. Maybe large amounts at a time can temporarily gum up the lungs, but not with normal use.

Talc is stone dust, must be physically excreted from lungs, so best to avoid breathing in as much as possible.

No more at all in the USA?

Almost, but not quite.

The selling of talcum based powder was never declared illegal. Companies marketing their product for use by women and babies changed their formulas to cornstarch, but product in inventory was never recalled from store shelves. J&J still sells talcum powder in other countries, but not in the USA.

There is a product called Anti Monkey Butt powder sold for use by men that contains talc. The product they sell as baby powder no longer contains talc.

There are also products made outside the USA that may contain talcum powder that can still be imported. Yardley of London is one such producer.

The issue only involved talcum powder. Talc is used as an ingredient in a variety of cosmetics. Those uses still exist.

You guys rock, thank you for your replies! I did my own research too and I also purchased the cornstarch based Whiskey Woods from clubman and... I hate it. It doesn't work, it soes something for like an hour then nothing.. I even think it made me more itchy. Please help me spot a real talc product, I know proraso is also cornstarch based, check out that shop:

I honestly don't even care if there's asbestos at this point, cornstarch is a menace.

You guys rock, thank you for your replies! I did my own research too and I also purchased the cornstarch based Whiskey Woods from clubman and... I hate it. It doesn't work, it soes something for like an hour then nothing.. I even think it made me more itchy. Please help me spot a real talc product, I know proraso is also cornstarch based, check out that shop:

I honestly don't even care if there's asbestos at this point, cornstarch is a menace.

Could be that your skin is already dry and you’re making it worse.
That’s what happened to me. I used it on my body(both talc and cornstarch variations) and my chest got extremely dry and itchy and eventually started to break out badly.

I picked up Imperial Leather Talcum from a British shop in Ontario. It is also available online.

There are several Yardley and Pecksniff's versions available on Amazon that are actually talc.
Pick a fragrance that suits you.
Imperial Leather is also available on Amazon.
Thanks for all the suggestions, sadly Amazon is a no-go due to insane shipping here. Also, no issues with dry skin, my skin is very very oily.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Thanks for all the suggestions, sadly Amazon is a no-go due to insane shipping here. Also, no issues with dry skin, my skin is very very oily.
Yeah, just because a talc says it's for dry skin doesn't mean that it can't be used by everyone. Talc is talc, and aside from the fragrance ingredients behaves the same whether it is advertised for "dry skin" or not.
Shipping costs certainly can be an issue, sorry you don't have that option available.

Climbers chalk is available stateside. I‘ve never thought about grabbing a handful out of the chalk bag and applying it after a nice shave. I agree cornstarch is for making gravy.

Does anyone know when Clubman substituted cornstarch for talc? I have several containers of their talc that I purchased about ten years ago and they all seem to be the genuine article.

So I got a borotalco and felce azzurra classico. Hopefully they don't smell bad, I expect the classic & clean talc smell.

Also, supposedly, they are asbestos free, mined from areas with no asbestos contamination. I find it hard to believe, guess we'll see in a few years.

p.s. 4th of July effect is super annoying. Christ.

Last edited by a moderator:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
So I got a borotalco and felce azzurra classico. Hopefully they don't smell bad, I expect the classic & clean talc smell.

Also, supposedly, they are asbestos free, mined from areas with no asbestos contamination. I find it hard to believe, guess we'll see in a few years.

p.s. 4th of July effect is super annoying. Christ.

See here how to turn them off

Last edited:
See here how to turn them off

Thank you, was nearly impossible to type from my phone.
Zwitsal is a know brand for talc. But it is babypowder.
So is borotalco and felce azzurra classico (at least I think so) guess I'll be smelling like a baby. :( Can't find any other brand here, unfortunately.

Top Bottom