What's new

Talbot Shaving - Marlogue Wood

I've always heard good things about Talbot Shaving soaps, but to be honest they've been unobtanium for me. I wasn't too concerned because I have enough great soaps to keep me busy. That's why I was surprised when I randomly looked at one of the popular online shaving retailers to find it in stock. However, you'd need to purchase the soap with the Maol Grooming AS set. That's fine by me because Maol Grooming has also been on my short list if AS to try. I'm looking forward to giving these both a shot. Anyone else pull the trigger on the soap?

I wanted to but I need a few week soap hiatus, bought several over the holiday sales,
I did manage to get M&M Nantahala with the Kodiak base.

Based on my experience with Authors Ridge, I think the soap isn't quite up there with something like Wholly Kaw Buffala base. Feels more on the same level as A&E.

The Maol Grooming splash was the biggest surprise as I have spots that flare up on contact with alcoholic splashes. With this splash formula, no burn or sting. Rather, it felt great with slippery smooth feel afterward.

I've always heard good things about Talbot Shaving soaps, but to be honest they've been unobtanium for me. I wasn't too concerned because I have enough great soaps to keep me busy. That's why I was surprised when I randomly looked at one of the popular online shaving retailers to find it in stock. However, you'd need to purchase the soap with the Maol Grooming AS set. That's fine by me because Maol Grooming has also been on my short list if AS to try. I'm looking forward to giving these both a shot. Anyone else pull the trigger on the soap?

I did. Marlogue Wood has become my second favorite "regular line" Maol Grooming aftershave (Frosted Frankenlime is my fave). I have had the aftershave for a while and was unsure how much I liked it initially as it is a very woody accord. It has really grown on me and is now a go to for me in cooler weather. I am thrilled to have a matching soap on the way.

Marlogue Wood will be my first Talbot Shaving soap. Like others, it has always been difficult to obtain. I look forward to trying it after my wife releases it on Christmas day.

After hearing a description of the scent, I am afraid that it might be a little too woodsy for my nose, but I am willing to risk that in order to experience the performance of the soap.

I do not expect it to quite as good as some of the recent soap releases: Declaration Grooming Milksteak, Murphy and McNeil Kodiak, Wholly Kaw Siero, and Zingari Man Sego. However, if it performs as well as Barrister and Mann Excelsior, Wholly Kaw Bufala, Murphy and McNeil Aon, and Ariana and Evans Yogurt base and most of the Grooming Department bases, it will certainly be a welcome addition to my den.

I do not expect it to quite as good as some of the recent soap releases: Declaration Grooming Milksteak, Murphy and McNeil Kodiak, Wholly Kaw Siero, and Zingari Man Sego. However, if it performs as well as Barrister and Mann Excelsior, Wholly Kaw Bufala, Murphy and McNeil Aon, and Ariana and Evans Yogurt base and most of the Grooming Department bases, it will certainly be a welcome addition to my den.

It's an excellent soap, but know that it is only 3 and not 4 oz. Regardless, all these top tier soaps are so close in their actual shave quality as to be entirely subjective. I know PSF is important for you so I will let you decide on that.

It's an excellent soap, but know that it is only 3 and not 4 oz. Regardless, all these top tier soaps are so close in their actual shave quality as to be entirely subjective. I know PSF is important for you so I will let you decide on that.

If Talbot is priced at $15 for 3 ounces, that is similar to a 4 ounce soap at $20. With some soaps now in the $25-32 range for four ounces, Talbot may be a bargain.

You are correct that all the top tier soaps are superb these days. You cannot go wrong with any of them. So even if Talbot is not the very best soap available, it certainly will be one of the best.

Love my maol grooming marlogue wood aftershave. Can’t wait for the soap to get here. This is my first talbot Soap and even tho the ingredients list looks somewhat basic, I couldn’t pass up the scent matchup. I’ve tried tallow and steel boreal thinking it would be similar to the marlogue wood scent, but it was way off. I read someone saying it smelled like grizzly wintergreen chewing tobacco and after one whiff, I couldn’t get that association out of my head.

Top Bottom