What's new

Taking the plunge.

I have ordered a sight unseen razor and a poor man strop kit from Larry at whipped dog. This should set me up for the beginning right? Anyway i have been poking my head around in the local antique shops and they seem to have a fair selection of vintage straights. I saw a Giesen und Forsthoff and lots more of unknown brands, I was primarily looking at DEs and DE blades and didnt look too close at the straights. Anyway there is also a business that does sharpening of knives and straights in my vicinity (within one km) so i was thinking that i am in luck and can avoid the HAD that seems to get a lot of you :laugh:. Nevertheless i look very much forward to partake in the insanity that some of you label SRAD.

BTW i have heard that the vintage Giesen und Forsthoff razors are quite good, is this true?

Holy cow! Just emailed the local business that offers sharpening and they charge the equivalent of 12 USD! Man i could have my razor professionally honed once a week and still spend less than on fusion carts. That is provided of course SRAD doesnt hit me too hard

Welcome Anders. I would ask this service, if the folks doing the honing Shave with straight razors, you will be glad you asked. as if they are not straight shavers you may be unhappy with the edge. Also there is nothing like shaving with an edge you placed on your own razor.

Welcome Anders. I would ask this service, if the folks doing the honing Shave with straight razors, you will be glad you asked. as if they are not straight shavers you may be unhappy with the edge. Also there is nothing like shaving with an edge you placed on your own razor.
True that. Anyway I'm a student and running out and buying a set of stones seems really expensive. I think i will buy a finishing stone and work my way down the grit scale. Are the naniwa synthetics good hones?

Top Bottom