What's new

Taking the plunge

Well, it seems that I've finally got enough courage to go for it with a straight.

Santa brought me a 2011 used Dovo Best Quality 5/8 last Christmas, which one of the biggest online vendors here in the Netherlands sold as shave-ready. All this time however I've been pondering if this really was for me with all the additional investments one has to make (strops, hones you name it), and it's been sitting in my cupboard ever since. I don't have a big shaving budget so I have to make some choices. However, I came across a very reasonably priced 4-sided paddle strop yesterday at an antique store which I bought, so I guess I have the bare necessities to try and find out if straight razor shaving is all I think it will be. The strop is about 1,2"X8" (tiny, I know) and has a stone of some sort and 3 leathers, of which 2 are pasted with I guess Dovo Red and Black paste.

I've read a whole heap of the FAQ's here, and saw some excellent stropping and shaving videos (especially rasurpur.de has some nice ones I think). Nothing else to do than just do it. Tonight I'm gonna have a go so wish me luck!

Excellent, enjoy. Hopefully it really is shave ready, otherwise you may be in trouble as you will not be able to tell if its the razor or your technique.

Good luck! Stay focused. No distractions. If you get distracted move the razor away from your face.:biggrin:

Jim

Will do, I'll report back here on how it went tomorrow.
First me and SWMBO are off to the movie theatre to see the 3D version of Star Wars I. It's vacation time for our daughter so she is having a sleepover at grandma and grandpa's house.

Try not to get the nickname, "Slash." Just kidding.

I'm sure everything will be fine. God bless you on your journey. Smooth shaving!

I appreciate all the comments guys, thanks.

It went pretty well I think, and already learned so much more by actually doing it then by just reading about it. I of course went through all the things a straight-razor noob does on his first journey (clumsy with hand positions, lather drying up because of the time it takes etc. etc.). But in the end it was a comfortable WTG pass after which I finished up with my trusty DE. The flat surfaces of my face and neck went pretty good, and the rest just needs a LOT of practise, but there where no actual nicks or cuts so I guess this was a successful start that certainly left me wanting more.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
you've had a very good start (no nicks)!
Oefening baart kunst, succes met scheren! De eerste keer is altijd spannend.

Thanks lads.
Had my second try last night, and that didn't go to well. No slashes, nicks, cuts or weepers, but just an all together awkward attempt. Still struggling with how to hold the damn thing as I take it to my face. Ah well, better luck next time perhaps!

Be patient with it - muscle memory takes a few weeks.

Here is what really made the jawline a cinch for me: with your free hand, PULL the skin up over the jaw.

Secondly, you will be surprised as you get better the effect a simple twist of the jaw or jut of the jaw can have on giving you access to hard-to-shave parts under the jaw.

Above all else, that blade has to be shave ready. There are varied opinions on it but for me there is a marker on if it is ready. The hanging hair test.

Great that you just went for it. It's easy to over think in the beginning. Some days it will be awkward and difficult, and then the next everything clicks and it just happens. Then you get better at lather, then skin stretching, then the various grips (still tricky for me). Just be consistent, and you'll get there sooner than you think.

Don't be discouraged...you will figure out what works well for you in terms of holding the straight. There are many different ways to hold it, you will figure out what works best for you in time. But it will take practice, hang in there! You are doing good so far.

Top Bottom