What's new

Taking care of your hands

I tend to ignore pain, it gets in the way of finishing stuff. I just block it out. Prob not gonna find that on a self care list but sometimes stuff just has to get done. Eat celery, it helps. Don't laugh, google it.

When I used to play ice hockey I used to take an herbal called Cissus. Idk if the fda banned it in America as they love banning anything non pharma that works but my joint pain reduction was always significant on it. Obviously, supplements are different for everyone and if side effects or interactions can be bad for any given thing they should be avoided.

I tend to ignore pain, it gets in the way of finishing stuff. I just block it out. Prob not gonna find that on a self care list but sometimes stuff just has to get done. Eat celery, it helps. Don't laugh, google it.
I think ignoring my pain and pushing through is part of the reason that it's gotten so bad. Sometimes they just physically won't do what my brain is telling them to do. They just lock into a claw lol. Im too young for all that.

I’ve always wondered if the aluminum oxide in synthetic stones is safe in the long term. Aluminum isn’t something you want a whole lot of inside your body. It can upset your immune system which would not be a good thing for auto immune issues such as arthritis.
Id imagine my bigger concern for aluminum should be from the dozen cans of beer I drink for dinner...

CA glue and duct tape for cuts, hydrogen peroxide dissolves super glue,

Bag Balm for moisturizing, Magnesium for joint pain, and muscle cramps. Be careful with Motrin. A tube of Bacitracin helps small cuts heal quickly, dab it on at night before bed.

I also keep a fully stocked First Aid Kit mounted to the wall next to my honing station. Fully stocked with tape and fresh CA glue, and easy to access, imagine you will be opening it with bloody hands.

Just pay attention, I have not cut myself badly in years.

If you have kids or pets, make it a habit when walking through the house with a razor, close the razor in the scales. Too easy for a dog or kid to come running around a corner.
I cut part of a tendon/ nerve in my pinky with a knife while honing it when my coon hound tried to jump in my lap. This picture is after about 3 days of healing. It went to bone.

20211104_232035.jpg

I’m aware of body wide inflammation supported through good nutrition. Eating anti inflammatory foods and avoiding inflammatory ones. Regular movement, strength training, trying to maintain a healthy weight. Managing arthritic joints is challenging (knees and shoulder foe me). A wholistic approach and supporting the immune system are things I’m incorporating…time will tell.
My right rotator cuff is detached in the middle, only attached on ends. I got 2 bulging disks in my back and 2 shot knees. I eat good, raise some of my own food(veg, eggs, poultry) and hunt and fish for a lot too. I'm very active, I think over use might be part of the problem.

Hurt from injuries?

Not much of a problem. I've had plenty, but all that remains are scars. Take a break until it heals and be more careful next time is all I could recommend.

Hurt from dryness/chapping/cuticles being in terrible shape?

Probably moisturizing? I have problems with this, but I'm too lazy to fix it.

Hurt from arthritis?

Eat more spicy food. There are scripts that help too, but I'm not to the point where I need them yet... Probably in the next 5-10 yrs I will be.

Also hand massages. Every time I get a massage, I forget to tell them, but when they get to the 1-3 mins most spend massaging your hands, I make a mental note "Next time tell them to spend 90% of the time on my hands". Good Lord, if you work with your hands, you will never be able to believe how good a hand massage feels until you get one. It's life changing.

I think ignoring my pain and pushing through is part of the reason that it's gotten so bad. Sometimes they just physically won't do what my brain is telling them to do. They just lock into a claw lol. Im too young for all that.
I guess I shoulda clarified, most of my post wasn't 'advice', it's just what I do.
If I was giving advice, I'd say go see a doctor.
Me, I don't like doctors, so I avoid them as much as possible, so I push through. Usually.
The celery thing is more inline with advice tho...

Finely grated ginger stored in honey. One spoon in green tea in the morning. Helps with inflation, as long as you do not have rosacea or a weak stomach. I have back and leg pain from back surgery/ injuries. Shoulder pain from arthritis. The tea/ginger/ honey helps. Not a cure all but little things add up.

I guess I shoulda clarified, most of my post wasn't 'advice', it's just what I do.
If I was giving advice, I'd say go see a doctor.
Me, I don't like doctors, so I avoid them as much as possible, so I push through. Usually.
The celery thing is more inline with advice tho...
Yeah I don't like doctors either. I avoid them at all costs.

Udder butter and Motrin.
Bag balm. The standard all other products are measured by for chapped dry skin.

It's not the only liniment found on many farms and ranches that some swear by.

Educate yourself before using anything.
Never use anything not approved for human use. All ways consult your physician....ect.

Top Bottom