What's new

Taking care of your hands

I need the advice of the hardworking men(or women) here who have problems with their hands.... my hands hurt so much most days lately that I can barely hone a pocket knife. I know a lot of it is over use at work(and home) but I'd love sage tricks from the honemeisters here on how you maintain your hands. I feel like this could be great info for everyone here. I've gotten some pretty nasty cuts while sharpening/ honing in the process of saving a child or dog that wanted to jump in my lap while honing(they're all perfectly fine). It's a hazard that comes with the territory of making things "scalpel sharp"(id imagine many folks here could out do the medical standard globally by a mile). What's your secret B&B?

This year Ive had a bone taken out of a thumb and replaced with Cadaver parts. Had a thumb joint fused, injections in 3 finger joints. And at this moment am wearing a cast to keep my right thumb and wrist still from the latest surgery.

Take care of your hand joints or you could find yourself in my situation. Worn out or damaged joints.

Ive had a few bad cuts from handling razors. But stitches and time bring things back. Worn out hands dont get better

I have arthritis in my hands and have pain most days. I don’t really do much other than put up with it. When it’s real bad I take Tylenol.

I have had Cortizone shots too

I’ve e been taking fish oil (heart issues) for years. It’s suppose to help with the joint pain too.

This year Ive had a bone taken out of a thumb and replaced with Cadaver parts. Had a thumb joint fused, injections in 3 finger joints. And at this moment am wearing a cast to keep my right thumb and wrist still from the latest surgery.

Take care of your hand joints or you could find yourself in my situation. Worn out or damaged joints.
And here a lot of us are only focused on the razor’s handle…… Thanks again for reminding us what’s really important 👍😊💈

Legion

Staff member

Ive had a few bad cuts from handling razors. But stitches and time bring things back. Worn out hands dont get better
Cadaver parts?? I’ve never heard of a thumb donor.

I call it dead people pieces, but the wife hates that. Casts have come a long ways in the last 20 years.

Attachments

• IMG_20220805_132232_01.jpg
    IMG_20220805_132232_01.jpg
    840.9 KB · Views: 15
I’ve always wondered if the aluminum oxide in synthetic stones is safe in the long term. Aluminum isn’t something you want a whole lot of inside your body. It can upset your immune system which would not be a good thing for auto immune issues such as arthritis.

CA glue and duct tape for cuts, hydrogen peroxide dissolves super glue,

Bag Balm for moisturizing, Magnesium for joint pain, and muscle cramps. Be careful with Motrin. A tube of Bacitracin helps small cuts heal quickly, dab it on at night before bed.

I also keep a fully stocked First Aid Kit mounted to the wall next to my honing station. Fully stocked with tape and fresh CA glue, and easy to access, imagine you will be opening it with bloody hands.

Just pay attention, I have not cut myself badly in years.

If you have kids or pets, make it a habit when walking through the house with a razor, close the razor in the scales. Too easy for a dog or kid to come running around a corner.

I call it dead people pieces, but the wife hates that. Casts have come a long ways in the last 20 years.

I know a few people who have dead people parts in their necks. My dad being one of them in his 80's.

I spent 9 hour days working on my feet and using my hands for years. Also played hard outdoors mountain biking hard down hill and hiking, camping, hunting and fishing while working hard in the yard. Not a fan of power tools. I use axes and such to clear a lot of trees and downed items in my yard. Grew up living on my bike. I got to the point where I could barely walk from Planter Fasciitis sometimes and my hands just hurt and couldn't hold on to the bike while jumping and braking after shorter and shorter times. Then covid hit. I got to work from home did a lot of nonphysical work for almost 2 years. No more pain and I feel better than I ever have. Sometimes as you get older you just need to slow down and heal. Other times it is just genetics. I also hone near a sink or counter even though I mostly hand hone for razors. So bathroom or kitchen. Made it harder for the dog and kid to get in harms way. I am usually standing up while honing too. Unless using a sink bridge for knives.

My dad is in his late 70s and has been working with his hands for most of his life. He swears by collagen peptides. My hands are better since I got out of manual labor in my 20s, and since covid, haven't been playing many gigs (seriously, musical instruments of all sorts are hell on hands). I also eat a lot of salmon and fatty fish so I get a lot of omega fatty acids which I think helps. But there are days where typing or holding a tool is hell. Best of luck.

For arthritis joint pain fell voltaren works best. For all other pain there is a small company in new Mexico named “pain wizard”. Simple browser search will show where could be bough. It’s a little pricy but the best pain cream out there IMO. Contains bromelain, boswellia, green tea extract, arnica, capasicin, menthol, camphor, and methyl sufonyl methane. As for cuts on any part of your body stick to the basic. A diabetic friend of mine had open heart 30 years ago. They removed veins from thigh and each day the visiting nurse would come to the house and rinse wound with saline solution then pack with regular table sugar. Sounds crazy but body made of carbon as well as sugar. creates a flexible gel covering to keep out all the bad guys. Next time you get a cut give it a whirl, won’t have to worry bout scab cracking if on a joint or coming detached before fully healed.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I’m aware of body wide inflammation supported through good nutrition. Eating anti inflammatory foods and avoiding inflammatory ones. Regular movement, strength training, trying to maintain a healthy weight. Managing arthritic joints is challenging (knees and shoulder foe me). A wholistic approach and supporting the immune system are things I’m incorporating…time will tell.

I have arthritis pretty much everywhere, especially in my thumbs. My knees being the exception. My doctor claims that the fact I've been a bike rider for years is the reason for their lack of pain. He says that troublesome joints should moved as much as possible, which will at least help them from worsening.

Cadaver parts?? I’ve never heard of a thumb donor.
Cadaver bone implants are not really that unusual, when I was in the military one of the helicopter pilots I worked with had to have a cadaver bone implant to repair part of his neck. Apparently, cervical spine degeneration isn't all that uncommon in helicopter pilots due to the helmets they have to wear.

Top Bottom