What's new

Taking a Break From My Artisan Soaps

A friend 'gifted' me a can of Gillette 3X Menthol Shave Gel, knowing that I've on occasion taken a can or 2 of shaving cream out to the range to punch various caliber holes thru them. The biggest complaint is that the shave gels readily clog up the multi-blade cartridges - something the spendy shave cartridge crowd has resigned to accept without complaint.

I decided to try some on a shave first & squirted about a quarter-sized poop of the stuff into a shave bowl. It took very little water to mix the stuff up into a really dense & cushion-y lather. Properly fluffed up with a brush, it rinses clean without clogging the razor.

The shave was as good as most of my other creams & pucks, and better than some - enough that I'll cheat & wait until it's empty before ventilating it with lead. As I slowly deplete my artisan soaps and samples, I'll actually consider putting the canned menthol menace into my shaving rotation ... it's that good. Plus, the can contains 7 ounces of the goop & my usual ToBS and other creams & hard soaps average about 3.5 ounces.

And my friend? I loaned her one of my bigger (I like smaller brushes) synthetic brushes - it's amusing to watch her lather a bowl of soap & apply it to her legs instead of face. I fear I may not get my brush back. She still had a bag of the store brand disposable double blade razors. Not ready to advance to double edge shaving just yet.

When she does, I'll try my best for a video of the event ...

The problem with Gillette shave "gel" is that it doesn't stay a true gel. It tries to lather.

For non-lathering stuff, I much prefer a true gel like the one produced by King of Shaves (and others). It has a lot of aloe in it and it stays a gel even after being applied. So it's essentially clear on the face. Very slick, quite protective, good post-shave face feel, too.

I used some Nivea Deep Clean gel the other day when I was in a hurry and late for work. It was okay, but was a bit thick. You've inspired me to try and whip it up some with a brush the next time I use it.

The problem with Gillette shave "gel" is that it doesn't stay a true gel. It tries to lather.

For non-lathering stuff, I much prefer a true gel like the one produced by King of Shaves (and others). It has a lot of aloe in it and it stays a gel even after being applied. So it's essentially clear on the face. Very slick, quite protective, good post-shave face feel, too.
All the Gillette & even house brand gels I've tried throughout the years want to lather, but without a brush they stay a sticky razor-clogging gunk. Whip some up with a brush & they're actually better and much slicker than some artisan soap samples I've tried lately. And, afterward they more readily clean out of the brush and razor, leaving much less soap scum in the sink, too.

And for those too 'high class' to use lowly canned shave gel, just make up an over-label for the can: Madame Fifi's Really Spendy and Snooty-Tooty Shaving Soap $30.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
All the Gillette & even house brand gels I've tried throughout the years want to lather, but without a brush they stay a sticky razor-clogging gunk. Whip some up with a brush & they're actually better and much slicker than some artisan soap samples I've tried lately. And, afterward they more readily clean out of the brush and razor, leaving much less soap scum in the sink, too.

And for those too 'high class' to use lowly canned shave gel, just make up an over-label for the can: Madame Fifi's Really Spendy and Snooty-Tooty Shaving Soap $30.

Hey, I sell those labels ™ ...but the labels are marked at $75. You know, like MdC or something. Might as well really impress people. The labels themselves - very high quality mind you - are only $12.95 + S&H. That's a special price for B&B members only.

This is a joke!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Seriously laughing right now and no offense to the OP, but I cannot think of much right now that would ruin my shaving experience more than following your lead. In addition, if I had to save money, I could think of many things other than trying to stretch my 3.5oz soap into 7oz of goop. By the way, I love MdC!

Glad you found what works for you OP. I used to shave using these gels, I'm just glad those days are over.

I've used several types of gels with a Harry's 5-blade cartridge and have never had a problem with them gunking it up. I can easily shave one side of my face before having to rinse the cartridge. A couple of swishes in the water and I'm good to go. That applies to Gillette, Edge, Harry's, and even Cremo (not technically a gel but gel adjacent). I don't use a brush, just apply to hands and rub onto face. They generate a little low structure lather that is very slick. I use a cartridge several times a month if traveling or time is of the essence and I want a close shave. they are just another tool to use.

Glad you found what works for you OP. I used to shave using these gels, I'm just glad those days are over.

Yep. A few years ago I forgot a shave brush on a fishing trip to Canada. I could not find a shaving brush anywhere and opted for the shaving gel. I was happy to get home and return to real soaps. That was when I put a shaving brush in the Dopp bag and made it my travel brush.

If i'm in a hurry i use Proraso. I haven't used a shave gel or canned cream in ten years and i don't plan to now. Scent is important to me.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’m not above using a canned cream at all. Mostly it’s Barbasol and I use it whenever the heck I feel like it. Mostly when I just want to shave and get it done with.

A friend 'gifted' me a can of Gillette 3X Menthol Shave Gel, knowing that I've on occasion taken a can or 2 of shaving cream out to the range to punch various caliber holes thru them. The biggest complaint is that the shave gels readily clog up the multi-blade cartridges - something the spendy shave cartridge crowd has resigned to accept without complaint.

I decided to try some on a shave first & squirted about a quarter-sized poop of the stuff into a shave bowl. It took very little water to mix the stuff up into a really dense & cushion-y lather. Properly fluffed up with a brush, it rinses clean without clogging the razor.

The shave was as good as most of my other creams & pucks, and better than some - enough that I'll cheat & wait until it's empty before ventilating it with lead. As I slowly deplete my artisan soaps and samples, I'll actually consider putting the canned menthol menace into my shaving rotation ... it's that good. Plus, the can contains 7 ounces of the goop & my usual ToBS and other creams & hard soaps average about 3.5 ounces.

And my friend? I loaned her one of my bigger (I like smaller brushes) synthetic brushes - it's amusing to watch her lather a bowl of soap & apply it to her legs instead of face. I fear I may not get my brush back. She still had a bag of the store brand disposable double blade razors. Not ready to advance to double edge shaving just yet.

When she does, I'll try my best for a video of the event ...
The gel definitely works for in a hurry but I don't think I'd enjoy it for my regular shaves. It doesn't have the same residual slickness and it doesn't have the best protection.

I did use this gel for couple years before wet shaving so I know it works. For cartridges, it's not as crucial but with DEs, I need better lather to have a irritation-free shave.

Anyways, hope you enjoy your shaves with the gel. I wouldn't recommend it but whatever works for you.

Top Bottom