What's new

Take my money! SA XDM 10mm

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Have you guys SEEN this!?

The 10,000 round test, and review Clay at Guns America did?

Only question is... Long slide or short?

AA

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Very hard on this device... Just Google for the 10,000 round test.

I want the 5.25 bbl long slide. What a beauty!

AA

Thanks for the heads up on this new 10mm from Springfield Mike! Very intriguing indeed!

I have never been interested in the XD configuration of Springfields, because I just didn't like the redundancy of a grip safety on a striker fired pistol? **** on a bull imo. However, this XDM 10 mm, just might make me forgive and forget that ridiculous grip appendage and seriously consider it over the Glock 20.

Springfield Armory XDM 10mm - The 10 We Have Been Waiting For - GunsAmerica Digest

What I liked from the linked review:

1. XDM's match grade barrel for accuracy.

2. While Glock barrels and Springfield XD's have Polygonal rifling, the XDM's have good ole' classic Land and Groove. Which means, Hello cast bullets! :)

3. XDM's grip contours and shape should be much better than the Glock 20 from what I can tell in the pics.

4. 1911 grip angle also.

5. Adjustable rear sight.

6. Front Slide Serrations.

7.Steel Magazines

8. Adjustable Fitted Backstraps.

9. Torture Tested with 10,000 rounds? In two 10 hour days? And not a single malfunction? Wow!

10. And last but not least, his quote:

"Cramming 15 rounds in a gun this small is no easy feat, and I won’t lie to you about the mag springs. Getting the last two in, takes some thumb pressure. It isn’t impossible, but it is tight. I grew to love the UpLULA, a device I have mocked on many occasions. I have a new found respect.

Despite the tightness of the last rounds, there is enough space for the magazine to seat easily. Even with a full mag going in against a closed slide, you don’t have to slam it. The last bit of give in the magazine is almost enough to force a 16th round, which gives it a perfect amount of flex to seat."

I agree with you Mike, the 5.25 inch slide and barrel is very sexy. But from what I can see in his video, it appears as if the huge cut out in the 5.25" slide, makes it lighter and less controllable then the 4.5' slide. It seems to be giving him more recoil and muzzle flip, when he is shooting them in side by side comparisons. He even seems to miss more hits on steel with the longer slide. Makes me wonder, if the huge cut out in the slide for weight reduction is effecting it too much?

Here is the video to watch:

Not related to the review, but listen carefully at the 3:10 mark of the video where he shoots the first 3 rounds with just his right hand. Is that a ricochet I hear, zinging past his head? :)

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Thanks for the heads up on this new 10mm from Springfield Mike! Very intriguing indeed!

I have never been interested in the XD configuration of Springfields, because I just didn't like the redundancy of a grip safety on a striker fired pistol? **** on a bull imo. However, this XDM 10 mm, just might make me forgive and forget that ridiculous grip appendage and seriously consider it over the Glock 20.

Springfield Armory XDM 10mm - The 10 We Have Been Waiting For - GunsAmerica Digest

What I liked from the linked review:

1. XDM's match grade barrel for accuracy.

2. While Glock barrels and Springfield XD's have Polygonal rifling, the XDM's have good ole' classic Land and Groove. Which means, Hello cast bullets! :)

3. XDM's grip contours and shape should be much better than the Glock 20 from what I can tell in the pics.

4. 1911 grip angle also.

5. Adjustable rear sight.

6. Front Slide Serrations.

7.Steel Magazines

8. Adjustable Fitted Backstraps.

9. Torture Tested with 10,000 rounds? In two 10 hour days? And not a single malfunction? Wow!

10. And last but not least, his quote:

"Cramming 15 rounds in a gun this small is no easy feat, and I won’t lie to you about the mag springs. Getting the last two in, takes some thumb pressure. It isn’t impossible, but it is tight. I grew to love the UpLULA, a device I have mocked on many occasions. I have a new found respect.

Despite the tightness of the last rounds, there is enough space for the magazine to seat easily. Even with a full mag going in against a closed slide, you don’t have to slam it. The last bit of give in the magazine is almost enough to force a 16th round, which gives it a perfect amount of flex to seat."

I agree with you Mike, the 5.25 inch slide and barrel is very sexy. But from what I can see in his video, it appears as if the huge cut out in the 5.25" slide, makes it lighter and less controllable then the 4.5' slide. It seems to be giving him more recoil and muzzle flip, when he is shooting them in side by side comparisons. He even seems to miss more hits on steel with the longer slide. Makes me wonder, if the huge cut out in the slide for weight reduction is effecting it too much?

Here is the video to watch:

Not related to the review, but listen carefully at the 3:10 mark of the video where he shoots the first 3 rounds with just his right hand. Is that a ricochet I hear, zinging past his head? :)

Okie; thanks so much. Half the time (more) I'm not on a device where I can cut and paste ... but this gun!

I am seriously looking for $800 at this point for a pistol I don't need! And if I read right, three extra mags free?

And yes- the guy's shooting steel plates with good hollowpoints and if look, the fragments are exploding the dust downward right below, when the plate rocks down. No doubt some come back. I am not a fan of the ranges at which some people shoot plates ... but that's me. Anyways.

This gun! I am in awe.

Question: It seems to be, you can shoot .40 S&W out of 10mm ... you don't hear this from manufacturers though. Anyone done it? Not that I am suggesting or endorsing this. Just musing along the lines of .38 Special and .357 Magnum. As with everyone else, I happen to stock .40 ShortN'Weak. And like it.

Also, I can't tell about the slide cutout ... he said the long slide was a little more controllable. It looks awesome! Never got excited about SA before.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Long slide:

XD(M) 5.25" 10MM
XDM952510BHCE

proxy.php

Ad Astra

The Instigator
And to answer the 40-in-10 question; seems like it really, really depends on the gun ... do not try.

Headspaces on mouth, not rim as with .38/.357.

"They say." Wish it could, though one can just load 10mm down.

Possibly buy a second barrel in .40?

AA

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
9. Torture Tested with 10,000 rounds? In two 10 hour days? And not a single malfunction? Wow

While 10,000 rounds is more than many folks will put downrange through a (single) firearm during their lifetime and while 10,000 rounds without a hiccup is certainly to be lauded, 10mm Federal Hydra-Shoks are anything but a “torturous” round ... while it is a proven personal defense round @ 1030 fps/424 ft.lbs., it barely qualifies as a warm .40 S&W.

While I seriously doubt that there will be any issues with polymer Springer 10s blowing apart via a steady diet of hot 10mm rounds, it is worth noting that Colt’s Delta Elite & Glock’s 20/29s have a twenty-eight year history of resiliency & S&W 1006s (etc...), which are slightly older than the aforementioned & are still running like scalded dogs, actually had a prototype 1006 survive a 10,000 round torture test using 1275fps/647 ft.lb. Winchester Silver Tips.

Chocked full of good features and attractively priced, I’m sure that Springfield is going to sell a boatload of those 10s.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
While 10,000 rounds is more than many folks will put downrange through a (single) firearm during their lifetime and while 10,000 rounds without a hiccup is certainly to be lauded, 10mm Federal Hydra-Shoks are anything but a “torturous” round ... while it is a proven personal defense round @ 1030 fps/424 ft.lbs., it barely qualifies as a warm .40 S&W.

While I seriously doubt that there will be any issues with polymer Springer 10s blowing apart via a steady diet of hot 10mm rounds, it is worth noting that Colt’s Delta Elite & Glock’s 20/29s have a twenty-eight year history of resiliency & S&W 1006s (etc...), which are slightly older than the aforementioned & are still running like scalded dogs, actually had a prototype 1006 survive a 10,000 round torture test using 1275fps/647 ft.lb. Winchester Silver Tips.

Chocked full of good features and attractively priced, I’m sure that Springfield is going to sell a boatload of those 10s.

Great post Joe! Absolutely agree with everything you said. While I think 10,000 rounds in the small window of time in 20 hours is great, I wouldn't mind seeing that same thing done with something a bit more, potent? :)

I have a stainless Cold Delta Gold Cup, 10mm I bought sometime back in 1989 that's still going strong. I have not shot it much in recent years, my interest going back to rifles more than handguns. I will say it is one of the most accurate handguns that I have shot, even compared to an identical sister model in 45ACP. Were it not for the cost of ammo I would take the 10mm over the 45 any day. As for shooting 40 S&W in it, probably not a good idea from a reliability standpoint. All the "auto" handgun cartridges headspace on the case mouth, so if you simply drop a 40 round in a 10mm chamber it can go forward so the firing pin cannot contact the primer. If fed from a magazine the extractor may hold it tight enough so the primer will be struck and firing can occur, that's somewhat of a maybe issue though.

I was all ramped up to buy a 10mm. Actually visited two local shops with every intention of buying one. Each time I came back with something else
(SIG P220 and FN FNP40).
Talked to some people who cautioned that many of the 10mm rounds are indeed far more like a .40 S&W than not.
And as seeing .40 ammunition is very readily available just about everywhere (and 10mm is not), at least in these parts ....I’ll say advantage .40 S&W

I was all ramped up to buy a 10mm. Actually visited two local shops with every intention of buying one. Each time I came back with something else
(SIG P220 and FN FNP40).
Talked to some people who cautioned that many of the 10mm rounds are indeed far more like a .40 S&W than not.
And as seeing .40 ammunition is very readily available just about everywhere (and 10mm is not), at least in these parts ....I’ll say advantage .40 S&W
Some and probably a lot of 10mm ammo is loaded down closer to 40S&W levels, so you need to check bullet weights and velocities and compare. One thing is for certain, the 40 cannot be loaded as potent as the 10mm, so I choose the 10, My leaning that way is influenced by the fact that I bought a 10 several years before the .40 was developed and see no need for the lighter caliber. Most loadings in the 10 are at or a little above the .357 mag and some are reported as being on the lower end of .41 mag loads.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I view the 10mm as a specialized round for hunting or when ever the extra power is needed (or wanted just because) as opposed to being a daily carry round, even though it was designed as a duty round. I definitely would reload for it if I had one. So lack of readily available ammo would not be that big of an issue. I would, however, stock up on some of the more potent factory loads to have on hand "just in case".

I view the 10mm as a specialized round for hunting or when ever the extra power is needed (or wanted just because) as opposed to being a daily carry round, even though it was designed as a duty round. I definitely would reload for it if I had one. So lack of readily available ammo would not be that big of an issue. I would, however, stock up on some of the more potent factory loads to have on hand "just in case".

I never viewed it as a specialized round. It just seems to fit in between too many others, admittedly some revolver cartridges. For me it offers more power than my 45acp, but better yet a flatter trajectory allowing for easier long range shooting, out of my full size 1911 platform. Thinking about it those criteria would make it a better hunting cartridge than a lot of other semi auto cartridges.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I never viewed it as a specialized round. It just seems to fit in between too many others, admittedly some revolver cartridges. For me it offers more power than my 45acp, but better yet a flatter trajectory allowing for easier long range shooting, out of my full size 1911 platform. Thinking about it those criteria would make it a better hunting cartridge than a lot of other semi auto cartridges.

Agreed, and certainly more practical than the AutoMag variants, IMHO.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
I have a stainless Cold Delta Gold Cup, 10mm I bought sometime back in 1989 that's still going strong. I have not shot it much in recent years, my interest going back to rifles more than handguns. I will say it is one of the most accurate handguns that I have shot, even compared to an identical sister model in 45ACP. Were it not for the cost of ammo I would take the 10mm over the 45 any day...

I'm still kicking myself for not picking up one of those early stainless Colt GC 10mms! Working in an Illinois gun shop at the time, I had heard rumblings about very-early (pre-production?) DEs cracking at the (slide stop) rail, an issue they successfully resolved by deleting the rail @ the slide stop. So, instead of a Colt 10mm Gold Cup, I opted for one of Colt's limited-run, .45 ACP Custom Combat Elites ... back in the late -80s, Colt was mired in labor issues & as memory serves, some white-collar types actually donned shop aprons & began working on the line. There were numerous quality control issues during the era and my 1989 CCE bears witness to those QC shortcomings, as the right side of the Commander hammer's 'hole' is not countersunk.

My first 10mm was a Gen-1 Glock 20, which I sold to purchase a Gen-2, which was replaced by a Gen-3 ... the Gen-4s didn't 'talk to me', so I opted to upgrade the Gen-3 (Bar-Sto barrel; guide rod/springs, slide stop, etc....) Ultimately, I did end up with a 10mm 1911, a Kimber Elite Custom II that from its 1st round down-range to the present, has operated flawlessly ... and in your words, "I will say it is one of the most accurate handguns that I have shot".

Top Bottom