What's new

Take care of your ebonite

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Now I will be the first to admit that I am not a professional pipe smoker. I’m constantly learning new aspects daily. There is something I wanted to point out about ebonite for those new smokers or someone on the fence about upgrading stem material.

Now I don’t have my pipes in direct sunlight, but a few stems have started to turn the dreaded green. The biggest maintenance I would do is a wipe down of my saliva. Sadly, this didn’t help my efforts to combats oxidation. I’ve have started to use obsidian oil after each smoke, but sadly the green color has set in.

I just placed an order for micro mesh and polishing compound. Seems like a last resort activity that I am now faced with.

maintain those stems!!

Including a pic of one of my stems

7B9955C1-CF32-45F4-8DEA-F0B02F676964.jpeg

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I have had good luck using Obsedian oil on my stems to stave off oxidation. After every few smokes I wipe it on with my finger and leave it on. The next day I buff off the excess.

Many of my old '80s and '90s pipes had oxidized ebonite stems. I read here about soaking them in baking soda and water, and in Oxyclean, and in sanding them with very fine sandpaper, and did all those things plus applying some olive oil as a final step. They look 200% better -- but that was a lot of work. In future I plan to buy only pipes with acrylic stems. A vintage pipe had better have an already-restored stem, and I'll wipe it down after every smoke and oil it frequently.

Since I don't usually clench my pipes for long, acrylic stems are not a problem when I'm smoking.

Reactions: ctr
Top Bottom