What's new

Take a pic of a cartridge

@Oliviamaynard, the cleanest razor to shave with is traditional straight razor.

It may be difficult (if not impossible) to get your partner to change. Most are rightly afraid to even try using a SR. After all, life expectancy was much lower 150 years ago when straight razors we're all the rage in shaving. Then about 40 years old, now about 70.
I want him to like DE and buy stuff with me.

I think the OP may be saying that a razor such as a DE can be cleaned more thoroughly and so there's less need to be concerned with possible infection. Maybe she wants her spouse to switch over to a DE razor?
Exactly! My ASD2 looks so cleaner after a rinse. Also that assuming I even reuse the blade. Which I am doing less and less cause germs.

.45-70 Gov't. Cartridge
.45-70 Fed.jpg

Thankfully I only use DE/SE and sometimes a SR, I clean my razor after every shave. Carts give me ingrowns and razor burn but that's just me I guess.

Cartridge razors have been around for 40 years. Billons of people across the globe have used billions upon billions of cartridge razors. Some have even used cartridge razors in conditions way less sanitary than a U.S.A. bathroom *gasp!*. If the bacteria that lives in a cartridge was such a concern I’m pretty darn sure we’d hear about it by now.

Fact is bacteria is everywhere. You can’t escape it. That toothbrush you leave on your bathroom sink is loaded with fecal matter. That hand towel you leave on your kitchen counter is full of bacteria. That dish sponge on your sink that you wash dishes with before putting them away *clean is loaded with bacteria. All your door handles in your home, completely stuffed with bacteria. Just think what’s in your shower stall or bathtub and around your toilet. No matter how clean you think your home is there is bacteria everywhere. 99.9% of it is not going to harm you at all. A little clogged cartridge is not even a blip on my scary bacteria radar. And I would argue it’s not for 99.9999% of people that use them.
I'll do you one better. Not only are all those things covered with bacteria, but your own body is filled with them. In fact, you have WAY more bacterial cells in your body than you have human cells. Estimates are that at least 90% of the cells in your body are bacteria. So YOU, yourself, are more bacteria than you are human. It's fair to consider your body as a symbiotic organism.

Having said all that, I agree with the OP that the razor in the pic looks gross. Probably won't harm anybody, but it looks disgusting. At the very least, have him switch to the Vector cartridge (available online); it has a little device hooked to the back of it that you can push. When you push it, it expels all the junk that is stuck between the blades of the cartridge. Genius design. Smooth and sharp blades, too.

Also, the world is filled with germs. Not all germs are bad.

Many of our attitudes about germs come from well-intentioned mothers and our toilet training.

So true!! We need exposure to a certain amount of ‘germs’ and dirt to maintain good immune function!

Top Bottom