What's new

"Take 2" Of My Intro to Wetshaving Video

Greetings--

Based on feedback from this discussion, I have re-done my Introduction to Wetshaving video. The results are here. I would appreciate feedback before I continue with the other videos.

--Mark

Just watched the video. Very nice for new wetshavers. If I were to rewrite my newbie guide I would include a link to it.

It seems to me that a more descriptive labels would be useful. So the maybe 'why you should switch to wetshaving' then 'how to perform the shave', etc. This would make it convenient for people to know where to start looking for specific info.

Great video. Lots of fun to watch, and the old clips were fun. I just watched part one, and I will now check out part II. Its very informative for people who are brand new to this thing. But it also offers some good reminders even for the avid wetchaver.

Better - still think you could shorten it if you took out the filler regarding the custom tailor, zen, etc. references and pictures.

Good job Mark. I noticed there was some volume modulation from the old edits to the new stuff. The flow of the video was a little weird from "looking for a better way?" to the products like something was missing in between. Very good job overall though! -- Dennis

Suzuki said:
Better - still think you could shorten it if you took out the filler regarding the custom tailor, zen, etc. references and pictures.

True, but I left them in because I specifically wanted to give a viewer a litle more "food for thought" on *why* they'd want to change to traditional wetshaving. Remember, its an introduction.

On the other hand, parts 2 and 3 will be much more "meaty" with far fewer "distractions."

--Mark

Mike02 said:
Good job Mark. I noticed there was some volume modulation from the old edits to the new stuff. The flow of the video was a little weird from "looking for a better way?" to the products like something was missing in between. Very good job overall though! -- Dennis

Dennis-- The sound is weird, huh? The strange thing is I re-recorded all the narration; I didn't keep it from the old video. And I kept the level the same for each narration segment. But when I uploaded to YouTube I got this weird volume modulation you mention. I'm not quite sure what to do about that....

I tried to make the bits about the "tailor-made shave," "zen," and commercial shaving cream as "junk food" as the transition. Maybe I need to take a fresh look at that. But, I thought it was pretty good, myself. :redface:

--Mark

I *thought* that Mantic had asked folks not to send this video out quite yet--still in the editing/changing/tweaking process?

I could be wrong.:redface:

I apologize if that was the case...I didn't see it...just mentions from him that it was a work in progress and to give him some feedback. The person I sent it to I explained as such. I just figured it was a great intro and would help them understand a little more. The next parts should also be great for a newbie to watch...

Mark,

I think it's pretty darn good. I like the various slides you use to illustrate "lots of water", "one size fits all", and some others. The clip of the drive-in is great. (Where do you get all these?)

Your line at about 45 seconds in, about considering shaving as a pleasurable hobby instead of a painful chore, is great. That would have gotten my attention two months ago, before I knew that there was an alternative to canned gel and the Mach 3.

Which leads me to my only substantial comment. I'd like to see a little bit more material to answer the question, "Why bother? Why is it worth changing my habits, buying the equipment, and learning a new routine?"

But I'm just thinking of a tweak, not a major change. And you have covered what I'm talking about. As a newbie, though, I'm going through a period of being overly zealous in my evangelistic efforts, and that's coloring my opinion.

Good job!

Geez...Suzuki says there's too much and Magruder says there's not enough.

:001_tt2:

I decided to re-assemble the video from Movie Maker and re-upload it to YouTube to see if it would help the audio problem (it seemed to), and I took the opportunity to make some very minor tweeks. The final product will be available shortly, after which I'll delete all the other "takes." Then I move on to parts 2 and 3.

BTW, most of the stock images (particularly the older ones) came from www.archive.org, where most everything is public domain. You'd be amazed what you can find by googling "royalty free video stock." :wink: And google's image search is your friend. :cool:

--Mark

That was amazing. I am spreading this video out to everyone on my myspace and aim buddies.

Edit: I am really looking forward to the lather section. I think that is something that can't be taught properly without an actual video. Its hard to describe lather and exactly how to work it on your face with the right water:cream ratio using just words.

When do you think it'll be ready?

I saw your post on SMF for the lather video. Pretty good stuff. I haven't been applying lather to my face like that at all. I've been painting. I haven't tried the scrubbing with the end of the brush.
Also you made a very good amount of lather in your mixing bowl. Looks like I need to stir more.

Top Bottom