What's new

Taidea?

Anyone familiar with this stone?? Found a combination rock that I think will be a pretty versatile addition to the quarry. Price seems fair but I do not readily recognize the name

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Reportedly a muddy knife hone. There are threads on it but not sure where.

Cheers, Steve

I have a 2 sided Taidea roughly 400 and 1k, does all of my bevel setting and is kept in water 24/7. I had an 8k, that after awhile softened too much to use.

I had, I think, a 5k from them.

It worked reasonably well... but required a long soak, and didn't hold up very well to use. I had it and a Masohiro? 3k at the same time and both were essentially the same in use... long soak, edges crumbled a bit after only a handful of uses. They were the stones I was trying while looking for a cheaper and better alternative to the Norton 4k, before I realized it was easier to just go straight to my 8k. If I were to go back to wanting a synthetic waterstone for that range... I'd get a Naniwa/Shapton/Sigma Power/Suehiro. Worth the extra money, easily.

And I could never find a definite statement as to whether it was JIS rated or not... but it seemed to set a 4k JIS hone back, so I guessed if it was, it had poor tolerances.

Think I'll stick with the Naniwa SS. Or then might just work my BBW with a heavy slurry into the mix as a 3k stone in the progression

1k...after setting bevel, 5k 8k 12k...or finish on zulu grey, maybe translucent Arkansas, maybe coticule w/water. Much depends on the blade being honed.

Top Bottom