What's new

Tagua/vegetable ivory

Has anyone tried making a brush out of tagua? I have found conflicting reports on how water resistant it is, but I think it would be a nice material for a (albeit small) handle.

Are you referring to the nut, if so, that would be a small brush handle.
On another note, if you were to slice of part of them and laminated several together, you could probably make a bigger brush handle or even a razor handle. If it's really porous, you could stabilize it first. That could help make it water proof. Or you can apply several coats of CA as you would other wooden handles.
I think it has the potential to make a really nice shaving brush handle.

On another note, if you were to slice of part of them and laminated several together, you could probably make a bigger brush handle or even a razor handle. If it's really porous, you could stabilize it first. That could help make it water proof. Or you can apply several coats of CA as you would other wooden handles.
I think it has the potential to make a really nice shaving brush handle.

Tagus is pretty hard stuff and I'm with Dave, you could cut two or three large ones flat on one side and then laminate them together to make a taller handle. A CA finish would seal them put after turning.

My Dad carves mouthpieces or animal figures for his Native American flutes.

My plan is to make the smallest travel brush possible; I got a 18mm synthetic knot from TGN to mount on it.
I visited Panama some months back and brought back a few nuts, including a few bigger specimens that could be made into a normal sized brush handle.

I attach a picture of an indigenous artisan's work using the nut; pretty amazing detail from an interesting medium!

Attachments

• DSCF3442.JPG
    DSCF3442.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
My plan is to make the smallest travel brush possible; I got a 18mm synthetic knot from TGN to mount on it.
I visited Panama some months back and brought back a few nuts, including a few bigger specimens that could be made into a normal sized brush handle.

I attach a picture of an indigenous artisan's work using the nut; pretty amazing detail from an interesting medium!
That's really nice. You'll definitely have to share pictures of your brush after you make it!

Top Bottom