What's new

Tabula Rasa deflating?

I have a tub of Tabula Rasa and I used it twice when I first got it. Then it got pushed to the back of my shelf and I forgot about it. I took it out today and discovered that it had deflated. After I pushed it all down to even it out, it was less than half its original volume.

Has this happened to anyone else?

proxy.php

Sorry this happened to you.

Over time I've seen creams turn into soaps especially if they are exposed to the air. I did this with some Proraso green a while back just for the hell of it by leaving it exposed. Basically creams are really wetter soaps in a more airy consistency. Tabula Rasa, I'm not sure if it's technically considered a cream or a soap, but I've used it and it certainly has the consistency of a cream.

As far as air entering the jar, sure the lid is tight but there is still air in the open space in the jar. Plus I'm not sure how air tight the jar is once you opened it. This may have happened even if you didn't open the jar a while back, but then again maybe not.

I suspect that in it's current state that you could use it more like a soap and get just as many shaves from it as you would have before. All that's likely missing is some air and a bit of water which you'd add back in during your lathering process. I might even prefer it this way as it would be easier to lather on the soap instead of having to scoop some out.

You could always contact Tabula Rasa and see what they might do for you, they might even send you a new tub. That being said, I suspect this isn't a soap that should be kept in storage long term.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
... but if blades start disappearing, too, there's another shaver in the house!

I'd say to mark the levels in the aftershave bottles, but in this case, that would take too long. :tongue_sm

AA

Is this the hard soap or cream? Makes no sense if it's the soap, not much more sense if a cream. IMHO.

Tabula Rasa is a soft and very airy soap/cream. It does make sense though, here's how. A while back I took a tube of Proraso green and put it all in an empty soap tub and left the lid off for several weeks. I watched the cream shrink over time and basically turn into a soap. Once it was about done I put what was once a 3.5 ounce tube of soap into a 1 ounce travel jar.

I've done that with creams as well, but that is not what happened here. There has been no water loss.

This cream is, as you said, very light and airy. It is whipped with air before it is packaged. As I said, it has "deflated", and basically all the air has now settled out of the product.

I agree with the previous comment that this product may not be meant to sit for a long time.

tabula rasa is a great shave cream, imo!

as above, i suspect that your tub simply dried out a bit over time.
when did you originally purchase??

$tabula rasa the art of shaving symmetrical pottery thiers issard lalegende penhaligon lavender n.jp

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
My Monsavon shrunk in three dimensions and now rattles around in the container.

Top Bottom