What's new

Table Saw - DON'T CHEAP OUT (like me)

Yes the good 12" table saws are at least double what the cheap ones are, we aren't even going to mention how much the great saws are. I have leaned my life lesson. Get the good one the 1st time, now I'm off to shop for a 3rd 12" table saw. Where as if I paid for a good table saw the first time I wouldn't be in this predicament. 2 years ago Makita (my preferred brand usually) was still making their 12" which now looks like it has been discontinued. Now, research time.

My $.02. A 12” table saw seems like overkill. A 12” miter or chop saw, yes. I’m speaking from the perspective of a hobby furniture maker. If you are a pro, you will have different needs. I have big Jet 10” 3HP cabinet table saw that is a beast; have had it for 20 yrs. I haven’t looked at table saws or dreamed of another table saw since. At the time I bought the Jet, a bigger table saw was for professional cabinet makers/furniture makers and very VERY pricey. If I was looking for a new table saw now, I would look at Jet, Powermatic, or SawStop, 10”, at 3HP and put money into good blades like Forrest. Probably $3k - $4k now for that type of cabinet saw. A 12” table saw needs at least a 5HP motor. Probably $4k - $5k+. If you’ve got the $$$ for a 12, go for it.

I will need to edit that first page. That meant to say 10 in. table saw , I have the 12 in. miter. If I had a 12 table saw I would have to quit my day job or go BIGGER and start a saw mill :crazy:. Thank you for the input I was looking at the saw stops. I can justify more $$ if it'll save a finger of hand any day. At this point, if I pay for a good 10" table saw I'm already at the cost of the saw stop price.

I have gone the way of a rail saw (Festool or other mfg.)
If I was to get an actual table-saw, hands down it would be a Saw Stop...

Top Bottom