What's new

Tabasco brand hot sauce: Has it changed?

I remember trying Dave's insanity sauce back when I was seriously into hot food. Hated it. Super hot sure, but it tasted awful! What's the point if it's just hot? In any case, you can be assured that you're tastes and perceptions will change the more you use these sauces.

I tried the Dave's and a few of the other "el scorcho" type sauces at a food trade show I attended a few years back. Didn't really eat it, put a dab on a toothpick, and tasted. Dave's was vile. The others, that i don't recall had some decent flavor, but the heat was overwhelming where it was just not enjoyable.

Cholula, Sriracha, Encona, Buffalo brand, El Yucateco, the Pain is Good range.... There are too many great sauces out there to mention. My personal favourite's probably Pain is Good Louisiana although Sriracha wins out as a 'dump it on everything' sauce. Nevertheless, I'd still reach for something like Tobasco when it comes to eggs in the morning

If you like Tabasco Chipotle, you might want to try Virginia Gentleman Bourbon Chipotle Hot Sauce. Not terribly hot - almost more of a spicy barbecue sauce actually - but extremely tasty. It's available at Firehouse Subs if you're near one.

Attachments

• $vghotsauce.jpg
    $vghotsauce.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
I don't like the really hot hot sauce. I used Chili Garlic Cholula for the longest time until I found Green Tabasco. It's milder on the hot than the red but the flavor is really really good. It's all I use now.

Oh yeah. Big +1 on Melinda's. If you like the vinegar-based flavor profile (Tabasco, Louisiana, etc), then it's not what you're looking for, but it's great stuff and a little goes a looooong way. Only problem is I can't seem to find any in this area, so I have to stock up every time I go home (New Orleans).

Melinda's is great, no lie. My fav, though is
proxy.php

I went through a hot sauce phase that was quite extensive and expensive. I went nuts on the stuff and even attended a large hot sauce convention/meet up and I new I needed help. 100's of people sitting around tasting and talking about hot sauce. Well anyways there are hundreds of amazing sauces out there and truly some hidden gems. I still find Tabasco in my top 5 though. My parents use to put it on my thumb to make quit sucking it and I was hooked from then on. I think it truly is an amazing sauce and highly underated by many. I think all the cayenne sauces are fine but they are exactly that.....cayenne sauces.

For the Chipotle Fans out there, how many have tried Jump up and Kiss Me? Not terribly hot but with a great smoky flavor. I love it on oysters on the half shell.

proxy.php

I don't like the really hot hot sauce. I used Chili Garlic Cholula for the longest time until I found Green Tabasco. It's milder on the hot than the red but the flavor is really really good. It's all I use now.

I like really hot sauce, but that Green (jalapeno) Tabasco is great stuff. It has a mild kick, but the flavour is excellent. Really nice on burritos and tacos.

PETA (People for Eating Tasty Animals) Habanero Hot Sauce
Found this at my butchers and picked it up because I love the label and its pretty tasty to boot.
The description... PETA (People for Eating Tasty Animals) Habanero Hot Sauce -Where's the beef… and the veal, pork and chicken too? And don't forget the whale, dolphin, baby seal and Panda. Loving all God's creatures next to my potatoes!
$hotsauceworld_2163_104369936.gif

Louisiana hot sauce? Give me a break! Might be ok as a flavored vinegar. Tabasco is still #1 and there Chilptle although not as hot has a great flavor. If you want something a bit hotter though without going to a habanero try Crystal Extra Hot. Good Stuff & under $1.

I went through a hot sauce phase that was quite extensive and expensive. I went nuts on the stuff and even attended a large hot sauce convention/meet up and I new I needed help. 100's of people sitting around tasting and talking about hot sauce. Well anyways there are hundreds of amazing sauces out there and truly some hidden gems. I still find Tabasco in my top 5 though. My parents use to put it on my thumb to make quit sucking it and I was hooked from then on. I think it truly is an amazing sauce and highly underated by many. I think all the cayenne sauces are fine but they are exactly that.....cayenne sauces.

Yeah, we don't know anyone around here like that, maybe about another topic. Nope, no one 'round here like that.

I've got 9 bottles of hot sauce open right now. Two are from Tobasco (one regular, one chipotle). It's certainly not my favorite, but I always have it in the house. I can't say I've noticed a change in it over the years, but I have noticed a change in my preferences. Melinda's is a great choice.

Lizano Salsa is a new one for me, discovered in Costa Rica a couple weeks ago. Not very hot, but the flavor is spectacular. I just ordered two 23.5oz bottles from amazon.

Another thumbs and tastebuds up for Sriracha.

The green top is my particular favorite with added garlic and large percentage of chill with enough heat and little or no vinegar.

Louisiana hot sauce? Give me a break! Might be ok as a flavored vinegar. Tabasco is still #1 and there Chilptle although not as hot has a great flavor. If you want something a bit hotter though without going to a habanero try Crystal Extra Hot. Good Stuff & under $1.

That's odd, because one reason I prefer Louisiana over Tabasco is that it is less vinegary. Note that Tabasco's first ingredient is vinegar and Louisiana's first ingredient is peppers.

Top Bottom