What's new

Tabactober 2022

Copy that my soul from up north. I could have gotten everything as the drugstore carrier the whole line and then some, but @JAHE said something similar about using my go to aftershave. And I trust both of your judgments so I will stick with the soap for now and possibly forever.

Cheers,

Guido
You could try some of the other Tabac AS.
Craftsman is a good, masculine scent.
It is related to the original in some mysterious way, but a completely different scent.
I think this goes for the other Tabac scents too.

so I wouldn't rule out our friend feels guilty about messing up his GRUME and initial mockery of our love for Tabac.
I think my semi-Dutch psychologist is hitting the nail on the head here (the guilty part, not the mockery - I wouldn’t want to feel guilty for doing that too!).

And not only that, I feel guilty towards @JAHE too, but I did not want to have him go to all the trouble of getting me a piece of the action and then me possibly not liking it.

So this is another cross I will have to bear. The shave was pure bliss by the way - more on that later.

Guido

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
A03FD39D-9415-4FC3-90ED-3716B72A2333.jpeg

Tabactober shave number 5 today. Tallow Tabac with a Simpson Trafalgar T3 brush, Merkur 34C and a Gillette Silver Blue on shave number three. A really good shave which I really enjoyed.

I think my semi-Dutch psychologist is hitting the nail on the head here (the guilty part, not the mockery - I wouldn’t want to feel guilty for doing that too!).

And not only that, I feel guilty towards @JAHE too, but I did not want to have him go to all the trouble of getting me a piece of the action and then me possibly not liking it.

So this is another cross I will have to bear. The shave was pure bliss by the way - more on that later.

Guido
I must admit you are a lively contributor to both GRUME and Tabactober.
As far as I'm concerned you can mock us and mess up every GRUME as much as you like.
Trust me on one thing though: once you go Tabac, you never go bac(k).
This weird scent somehow appeals to and settles into your reptilian brain.
Difficult to describe, but you'll get my point.
Ask the other odd fellows hanging around in this thread.
They know.....

Date:05.10.2022
Focused participations:05/31 Days in GRUME (out at 13%, but no subsequent purchases)
278/278 in 365 days of shaving (100%)
05/31 OCtober
Other participations:Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
Shave of the Week Society (on hold)
Tabactober
Razor:Fatip Piccolo Special Edition
Blade:King C Gillette (24)
Brush:Razorock Plissoft 400
Soap:Tabac (tallow)
Bowl:Kox Enamel
Preshave:Cold splash
Proraso Green preshave
Postshave:Cold face wash
KCG Face wash
Passes:WTG (Gillette Slant) | XTG (Gillette Slide) | ATG (usual)
Efficiency:9/10 (~15 minutes)
Quality:10/10 (Clean as a whistle)
Comfort:10/10 (GlideFest)
Effectiveness:10/10 (BBS+)

Next OC in my rotation is my first OC I bought in the beginning of this year - the Fatip Special Edition. Plating is starting to disappear, but when it comes to shaving this is a remarkable little razor. I am absolutely in love with it. The blade performed as if fresh out of the wrapper on a for me unprecedented 24th run.

Loading my brush took maybe 5 seconds or so to produce a very fine face lather. Thick yet never dry, smooth and the post effect very slicky. And I get what @Jack Goossen mentioned this morning about the scent and it triggering something inside my brain. I cannot put my finger on it, but once lathered it is nothing like straight from the puck - at least not for me.

I even forgot to put on aftershave at all (morning mayhem struck when I left the den), but the scent disappeared quite naturally. I did take a precautionary measure in washing my face afterwards to tone the scent down. LOTH did not make remarks about scent or anything. But that could have been because she was still recouping from these last few days. My sweetheart has periodic migraine attacks (I feel powerless when that happens as I cannot help her in those moments) and scent can trigger it - that's why I use subdued scents or more neutral scents. I have never used Cella for example, because the smell of almond. Tabac has a distinct manly/strong scent as well, but less than I anticipated this first run. Maybe it's a keeper, maybe it is not and at least I have tried.

And combining end result was amazing. I was buttery smooth all over with an excellent post shave feel. And so my maiden shave with Tabac is in the books. And I must say that it was everything others raved about and a big thank you therefore to specifically @JAHE for his persistence in me wanting to try this soap. Was it worth breaking GRUME for? #onnodig I have been told yesterday. Was it fun to do? Yes, it was and I was surprised by the results. Just as surprised as I was when I first used an open comb.

Ponderings on today's shave can be found here: A newbies journey into DE shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-newbies-journey-into-de-shaving.622889/post-11955270

Have a great day everyone!

Tobactober GRUME and SWS, day 5

Rockwell 6S
Astra Platinum (5)
Tallow-bac
Semogue SOC brush

Hey Guys
Wet tip lathering worked very well with a boar brush today. I soaked the tips about a minute. It was a little scritchy so next time I'll soak a little longer. I also applied lather about three times before the first pass to make sure it was wet and slick.
The Astra blade is still very smooth. It is competing with Nacets to be my favorite.
I switched to shaving with the guard today and liked it. With sliding maneuvers and touch ups, I'll call it a DFS.

Something with this combo just does not jive with me. Noticed it yesterday and confirmed this morning.
End result - I was able to complete the full shave today but wasted no time in binning this blade, as early as it may have been.
Most likely will be returning to Tallowbac for most if not the remainder of the month.
  • *Tabac (v) (SOTM)
  • Simpson's Duke3 - Best
  • *Mühle R89
  • *Lord Super Chrome (3) - Binned
  • Kiehl's Blue Astringent
  • Proraso Green Splash
  • Nivea Post-Shave Balm
* SWS

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I did an experimental shave Monday night:
IMG_20221003_222607996.jpg

I face lathered by rubbing the puck of old fashioned Tabac on one side of my face, Arko on the other.

The Titanium Timeless Razor with the Caisson blade were great. 9.5/10, in my completely scientific opinion!

Edit: the stinkingest brush in the werld was not rinsed. So far the bristles have not dissolved!

2022 Tabactober 05.jpg

Feather Popular is a mild razor. As mild as the other Feather razor. Very smooth, especially with a Feather stainless blade, although three passes were required to achieve some sort of compromise.
The rest of the gear performed as expected. The Yaqi 2band brush is a champ when using a shaving stick, as it picks up all soap from the short stubble. Good scrub, no scritch.
Not sure if I mentioned this before, but the scuttle, the scuttle is an absolute blessing.

I did an experimental shave Monday night:
View attachment 1534132
I face lathered by rubbing the puck of old fashioned Tabac on one side of my face, Arko on the other.

The Titanium Timeless Razor with the Caisson blade were great. 9.5/10, in my completely scientific opinion!

Edit: the stinkingest brush in the werld was not rinsed. So far the bristles have not dissolved!
Caisson blades? Might you have some reference on how they behave and shave Dave? (that’s a lot of aves in one go!

Guido

Top Bottom