What's new

Tabactober 2021

Tabactober 18th
16/16 Tabac shaves this month
PXL_20211018_171921330-01.jpeg

GEM Damaskeen /GEM Personna SS PTFE
Rudy Vey 2020 B&B Contributors' Brush
Tabac

Fifth shave of the month, looks like I'm going for multi-day stubble for all shaves this month, hehe. The fun of a new baby in the house!

First time trying a Gillette Platinum (dark blue) in my Tradere OC and the results are quite promising! Very smooth, very effective. Looking forward to getting to know these blades.

Razor: 1st gen Tradere OC
Blade: Gillette Platinum dark blue (1)
Brush: Wee Scot
Soap: Tabac

Last night, I had shave #33 with blade #2 of the vintage Polisilver Stainless Steel blades. Again, the blade was held in place with a Fatip Open Comb Piccolo in nickel.

I used Tabac (tallow) shaving soap and made just about just as good a lather as I could with it. It was slick and cushiony.

Prior to the shave, I showered with cold water and also used cold water to soak my Semogue Owners Club cherry wood handle finest badger brush. After I shook my brush to remove some water and picked up the soap puck in my left hand, I began swirling my brush across the top of the soap for a minute before scooping up all the protolather left on the puck and transferring it to the shaving bowl. Next, I rinsed the remaining protolather off my fingers with some tap water and collected the soapy water in an empty cup. I then picked up my brush and began to stir it in the shaving bowl while gradually adding some of the soapy water to make my lather. When my lather looked shave-ready, I applied a little of the soapy water to my face by hand before each lather pass.

I did my usual two pass (WTG and ATG) shave and buffed my trouble areas. I did not feel my blade; this is how I like it. I wound up with a very smooth BBS shave. That said, I wound up with a tiny weeper that disappeared on its own during some buffing (after the first pass) under my nose.

I cleaned up my shave with my usual alum block pass before washing it off and applying aftershave splash (Stirling Spice) and aftershave balm (Van der Hagen Post Shave Soothing Balm). I felt a tiny bit of sting from t he alum block (where the weeper had been. The sting was about a 1/10. Afterward, I also felt a small sting from the alcohol in the splash.

This was my first time using the VDH balm. I saw it on sale for $3.00 at my local TJ Maxx and figured I'd give it a whirl. I used a pea sized amount of the balm and spread it across my cheeks, chin, etc. The balm was greasier on the skin than Nivea and took longer to dry down/absorb into the skin. This might be a good balm for the winter months when chapping and dry skin become more problematic. Alternatively, this could be a travel after shave balm, since it's only 3.4 oz. (96g.).

All in all, I would give this shave a 98.5/100.

3FB15140-9612-44C9-89A9-776B0E51141E.jpeg

20211017_174258-01-01 (1)-01.jpeg
SOTD #255/2021
19-10-2021

>> TALLOW TABAC TUESDAYS/ SOCTOBER / OCtober / TABACTOBER <<

Preshave: shower, frigid tap water
Brush: Semogue Owners Club Premium Boar
Soap: Mäurer & Wirtz ~ Tabac
Razor: Above The Tie OC S2-plate
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (4)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Mäurer & Wirtz ~ Tabac ASL, Neutrogena Hydro Boost Aqua Creme.

Happy shaves!

Tabactober 19th
17/17 Tabac shaves this month
PXL_20211019_153718157-01.jpeg

Wacker, Old Sheffield
Heritage Collection Ever-Ready 200
Tabac

Finished my first puck of Tabac last week and replaced it from my backups. Finished the 100ml aftershave this morning and replaced it with a 200ml bottle from my backups. No more Tabac in my backups. I'm feeling strangely uncomfortable...

Still in, Grume & Tabactober.
Very pleasant and smooth evening shave, full BBS - 9.9/10

Pre: Proraso yellow Wood & Spice
Brush: Muhle Rytmo badger
Razor: Gillette old style clone, thin cap with ball end handle
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (1)
Soap: Tabac tallow puck
After: Alcolado glacial & Nivea sensitive ASB

Seems lik an excellent razor-blade combination.

Top Bottom