What's new

Tabactober 2021

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
3F0FB25E-3D0E-4595-8E49-E32CF939150F.jpeg

Tabactober shave number 14. Back on the soap today. The itch is not as bad today but I did apply the balm this morning after the shave and again at lunchtime.

Fourth shave, changed up the blade for this one. First time using a Nacet in my Tradere OC, and it wasn't great. I'll need to try a couple other Nacets before I call it, but if that one wasn't a QA fail, I may not be keeping this blade in my collection!

Razor: 1st gen Tradere OC
Blade: Nacet (1)
Brush: Wee Scot
Soap: Tabac

Fourth shave, changed up the blade for this one. First time using a Nacet in my Tradere OC, and it wasn't great. I'll need to try a couple other Nacets before I call it, but if that one wasn't a QA fail, I may not be keeping this blade in my collection!

Razor: 1st gen Tradere OC
Blade: Nacet (1)
Brush: Wee Scot
Soap: Tabac
Sorry to hear it. Nacet is my favorite blade.

YMMV. 😁

Last night, I had shave #31 with blade #2 of the vintage Polisilver Stainless Steel blades. The blade was again held in place with a Fatip OC Piccolo in nickel. This was my third time trying a Fatip razor; I think I'm starting to get the hang if it.

I used Tabac (tallow) shaving soap and made my lather a little thick in the bowl then tried to thin it on my face with more water. Unfortunately, I added too much water and wound up with lather that was a little too thin for my preference. Still, since it was Tabac, I managed to get an almost irritation free BBS shave.

Prior to the shave, I showered with cold water and also used cold water to soak my Semogue Owners Club cherry wood handle finest badger brush. Additionally, I drizzled a bit of cold tap water on top of the soap.

After the puck absorbed most of the bloom water, I dumped the remaining (now filmy) bloom water into an empty yogurt cup, shook my brush to remove excess water, and picked up the soap puck in my left hand. I swirled my brush across the top of the soap for a minute before scooping up all the protolather left on the puck and transferring it to the shaving bowl where I the stirred my brush while gradually adding some of the bloom water (along with more cold tap water) to make my lather. When my lather looked shave-ready, I applied a little water to my face by hand before each lather pass. When I applied the lather to my face, I noticed it was still too dry; after dipping my brush tips into water I thinned the lather on my face with it. Unfortunately, with both lather rounds, I went to the well too many times and the lather wound up being just a little too thin for my preferences. It just missed the cushioning I like, though it had good slickness.

I did my usual two pass (WTG and ATG) shave and barely buffed my trouble areas. With the thinness of the lather, I wound up feeling my blade a bit more than last time. Since I rode the cap and maintained a shallow angle, though, the shave was still pretty smooth.

I cleaned up my shave with my usual alum block pass before washing it off and applying aftershave splash (Pinaud Clubman) and aftershave balm (Nivea Men Sensitive Soothing Post Shave Balm). Unlike with my last shave, I wound up feeling the alum sting. It was about a 4/10. Afterward, I also felt the sting from the alcohol in the splash.

As I said before, I'm going to aim for shave #60 with this blade. If I can manage to make lathers the way I prefer, it just might be possible.

All in all, I would give this shave a 98/100.

B551D878-BD09-45F4-8B87-BAD7B2ADB92C.jpeg

Still in, halfway..... setup as usual:

Soap : Tabac (tallow puck)
Razor : FOCS
Blade : Kai stainless steel (2)

Second shave with the Kai blade. Very carefull but still couple of red dots on the chin.
Very close shave, almost BBS. 9.7/10

Prep: Hot shower, Clean&Clear daily pore cleanser
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Kai Captain Mild Pink (2)
Soap: Tallow Tabac
Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket
Aftercare: Supply Coastal lotion, PdP #63 balm

A much needed shave after a 4-day hiatus. Tabac + Blackland Vector is match made in heaven.

Tabactober 15th
Skipped another shave on Wednesday so I'm now at 13 Tabac shaves / 13 total shaves this month. Still Tabac Attack!

For today (and tomorrow) I pulled out a razor I haven't used in awhile...
PXL_20211015_143254471-01.jpeg

Taylor's Eye Witness, The 1000
CRV brush
Tabac Soap, AS, and EdC

Scraped the remaining Ring of Death out of the bowl and squished it on top of a new (tallow) Tabac puck today. No more in my backups, so the next reorder will likely see me trying the new formulation. Hope it lives up to the classic.

Top Bottom