What's new

Tabactober 2021

Last night, I had shave #29 with blade #2 of the vintage Polisilver Stainless Steel blades. The blade was held in place with a Fatip Originale Piccolo Nichelato. This was my first time trying a Fatip OC razor.

I used Tabac (tallow) shaving soap and made my lather just right. It was rich and creamy with plenty of slickness and cushion. I managed to get a nice irritation free BBS shave.

Prior to the shave, I showered with cold water and also used cold water to soak my Semogue Owners Club cherry wood handle finest badger brush. Additionally, I poured about a 1/2tsp of cold tap water on top of the soap. I really think, for my next shave, I'll cut back even more to just a couple drops of water (or maybe not even bloom the Tabac at all).

After the bloom water turned filmy with soap, I shook my brush to remove some water, picked up the soap puck in one hand, and dumped the bloom water into an empty yogurt cup. Next, I swirled my brush across the top of the soap for a minute before scooping up all the protolather still on the puck and transferring it to the shaving bowl where I began to swirl my brush while gradually adding some of the bloom water (along with more cold tap water) to make my lather. After my lather was shave-ready, I applied a little of the bloom water to my face by hand before each lather pass.

I did my usual two pass (WTG and ATG) shave and barely buffed my trouble areas. I wound up feeling the blade only when I held the razor at a steep angle (i.e., past neutral). By riding the cap and maintaining a shallow angle, the shave was extremely smooth.

I cleaned up my shave with my usual alum block pass before washing it off and applying aftershave splash (Stirling Spice) and aftershave balm (Nivea Men Sensitive Soothing Post Shave Balm). I barely felt the alum block at all. In fact, I wound up making multiple passes with the alum block just to make sure I actually applied the alum block and didn't miss anything. The shave was that smooth! Still, I did feel the some sting from the alcohol in the splash, however.

Here's the craziest part, thanks to the Fatip, the blade felt newer. When I did feel the blade on my face, it felt as if it were back on shave 5 or 6, not shave 29! I'm, now, not only sure I can reach shave 30 with this blade, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if I reached shave 60 with it!

All in all, I would give this shave a 99/100. (Once again, I'm tempted to give a shave an 100/100!)

F31706BC-B261-4C60-AC00-AE32E6B8409D.jpeg

Haven't use my Tabac soap in a while. Seeing that thread make me want to use it soon. I'll throw my Tabac stick in one of my next few shaves ( just have way too many soap to "rotate" through ).

Thanks for making me realise that I still have that awesome gem of a shave soap (in a stick).

Don’t Count. Have to use Soap. [emoji23][emoji28][emoji23][emoji2957][emoji15]
Dang! You’re right. Foolish Mortals’ opening post lists: “All uses of Tabac products qualify, whether that's shave soap, bath soap, EDT, mouthwash, car air freshener or pet shampoo.” But not Tabac aftershave balm.

Dang! You’re right. Foolish Mortals’ opening post lists: “All uses of Tabac products qualify, whether that's shave soap, bath soap, EDT, mouthwash, car air freshener or pet shampoo.” But not Tabac aftershave balm.

That's two days in a row. Two days in a row that you guys are making me realize that I have something that I forgot that was in my den.

A couple of month ago I was at my mother's place and she took out something from her drawer and it was this little brown box.
20211010_065106.jpg

I looked at my mother with some kind of crazy/happy eyes that she clearly couldn't understand what was happenning in it. I asked her "Where does it come from, you have that thing since how many years?" And she answered back with the question "Why are you so happy, it's just an old bar soap?". So i explained to her that one of the more then 100 hundred shaving set that I have is Tabac and that it's one of my favorite performance wise.

20211010_065120.jpg

She told me that it was to my father a long time ago. I asked her how long and she had no clear idea but she told me that my father bought that before I was born. So it's clearly at least 40 years old. 40 years old gents!

20211010_070457.jpg

With regard to the scent now. Well... Let me start by saying that I'm in the camp of "I like" the scent of Tabac. I'm not in love with it but I'm more then pleased each time I use it. But the scent on that bar soap is 🤮. It literally smell like old grandma powder in a very bad way. It's just 🤢.

That being said, I dunno if removing the first layer of soap will remove that nasty smell. It might be a scent changer 😆!

Anyway, have a nice one gents!

That's two days in a row. Two days in a row that you guys are making me realize that I have something that I forgot that was in my den.

A couple of month ago I was at my mother's place and she took out something from her drawer and it was this little brown box.
View attachment 1343028

I looked at my mother with some kind of crazy/happy eyes that she clearly couldn't understand what was happenning in it. I asked her "Where does it come from, you have that thing since how many years?" And she answered back with the question "Why are you so happy, it's just an old bar soap?". So i explained to her that one of the more then 100 hundred shaving set that I have is Tabac and that it's one of my favorite performance wise.

View attachment 1343029

She told me that it was to my father a long time ago. I asked her how long and she had no clear idea but she told me that my father bought that before I was born. So it's clearly at least 40 years old. 40 years old gents!

View attachment 1343030

With regard to the scent now. Well... Let me start by saying that I'm in the camp of "I like" the scent of Tabac. I'm not in love with it but I'm more then pleased each time I use it. But the scent on that bar soap is 🤮. It literally smell like old grandma powder in a very bad way. It's just 🤢.

That being said, I dunno if removing the first layer of soap will remove that nasty smell. It might be a scent changer 😆!

Anyway, have a nice one gents!
Is that a puck of the shaving soap or could it be a puck of bath soap? You might want to do a practice lather before using it for shaving just in case.

Haven't use my Tabac soap in a while. Seeing that thread make me want to use it soon. I'll throw my Tabac stick in one of my next few shaves ( just have way too many soap to "rotate" through ).

Thanks for making me realise that I still have that awesome gem of a shave soap (in a stick).
Cool - welcome!

Tabac Attack (all Tabac, all Tabactober)
  1. FoolishMortal - Tallowbac
  2. RumpleBearskin
  3. COdiak
  4. Demaratus - Tallowbac
  5. Dave himself
  6. Multum in parvo - Tallowbac
  7. Yuritau - Tallowbac
  8. ajkel64
  9. StratMan - Tallowbac
  10. demaro
  11. Wet shave Ryan - Tallowbac
  12. abj
  13. sandorfi - Tallowbac
  14. alin - Tallowbac
  15. Gabor
  16. emily666
  17. Bounder - Newbac
  18. Wil_D - Newbac
  19. Vates - Tallowbac
  20. Bengal Tiger
  21. hairless wonder
  22. JayFromBrooklyn
Tabac with some slack (some Tabac, sometimes)
  1. Trem - Tallowbac +/- occasional Newbac
  2. Atlantic59 - Tallowbac
  3. sarir97
  4. sharpieb - Tallowbac - is there any other kind?
  5. luv2shave
  6. cyyou2090
  7. RenoRichard
  8. ewk
  9. Bglayer
  10. Jubejubilee
  11. JAHE
  12. JCinPA
  13. gdawg55
  14. Ted A
  15. CJB3 - Tallowbac
  16. Ravenonrock - Tallowbac