What's new

Tabac!

I must be doing something wrong. I have been a regular user of Wool Fat shaving soap for a couple of years now and have been very happy with it, no matter what razor/blade combination I am using it gives me a clean, close and well cushioned shave. After reading several rave reviews of Tabac Shaving Soap here and elsewhere I purchased a puck a couple of weeks ago and began using it. It lathers well (though not any better than my Wool Fat) but shaving with it has been a disaster. It is as reliably awful as my Wool Fat is reliably good. Again, no matter what the razor/blade combination, if feels as if my blade is grabbing each whisker and pulling it out of my face by its root. It turns even my normally efficient ATT Aluminum SE1 into an unimaginably inefficient shaver requiring multiple passes in all directions. Has anyone else experienced this with Tabac and if so were you able to fix it and how? Clearly a YMMV experience.

Hard to say what might be happening. While I truly enjoy the Fat, I find Tabac a very excellent performer indeed. I strive for a BBS shave everyday, but not always without paying a price. When I have a particularly bad day, I generally follow up the next day with Tabac as it is so slick and protective for me that it gives my face a chance to recover with no further irritation. If your successfully lathering MWF I'm sure you are properly lathering Tabac with perhaps one caveat. Perhaps you might need just a few more drops of water with Tabac as I find it a fairly thirsty soap that soaks up moisture during the shave. Tabac can seem to dry on the face if not hydrated quite enough and that may be what may be causing your blade to seem to drag. Tabac is one soap that for me performs well with any style brush, any of my razors or blades just as you said you experience with MWF. Certainly a mystery for sure. I should add that I primarily am a bowl latherer. I have tried over 85 brands over the last 5 years and Tabac is definitely in my top 20 and would be even higher if the post shave performance was better. Tabac is one of those soaps that would more than please me if it was the only soap produced.

This just in! Maiden voyage tomorrow.
D67IhpJtSMCE+YABSGsNZw.jpg

Did you hear the story of the fellow who shaved with Tabac soap one day & unfortunately left the window open? Within 15 mins. hordes of old blue haired women had descended upon his house thinking there was a contract bridge tournament inside!! :a14: :wink:

Did you hear the story of the fellow who shaved with Tabac soap one day & unfortunately left the window open? Within 15 mins. hordes of old blue haired women had descended upon his house thinking there was a contract bridge tournament inside!! :a14: :wink:
Why do you think I’m trying this crap out!?

Hard to say what might be happening. While I truly enjoy the Fat, I find Tabac a very excellent performer indeed. I strive for a BBS shave everyday, but not always without paying a price. When I have a particularly bad day, I generally follow up the next day with Tabac as it is so slick and protective for me that it gives my face a chance to recover with no further irritation. If your successfully lathering MWF I'm sure you are properly lathering Tabac with perhaps one caveat. Perhaps you might need just a few more drops of water with Tabac as I find it a fairly thirsty soap that soaks up moisture during the shave. Tabac can seem to dry on the face if not hydrated quite enough and that may be what may be causing your blade to seem to drag. Tabac is one soap that for me performs well with any style brush, any of my razors or blades just as you said you experience with MWF. Certainly a mystery for sure. I should add that I primarily am a bowl latherer. I have tried over 85 brands over the last 5 years and Tabac is definitely in my top 20 and would be even higher if the post shave performance was better. Tabac is one of those soaps that would more than please me if it was the only soap produced.
This is exactly what I was going to reply as to Tabac seeming to dry out on the face and not provide a smooth razor glide. More water will correct this and when the proper amount of water is used to make Tabac creamier it performs second to none! Still, The Fat "might" result in a nicer post shave experience. YMMV

It's a good soap but Tabac shaving cream falls in the "it's as good as it gets" category for me. Lather, post shave feel, the whole 9 yards. I could use Tabac soap and be happy but a few soaps give me a better post shave feel.

I wonder if dud pucks of soap sometime appear? I bought 2 pucks of another brand and 1 gave avery poor performance while the second was wonderful. It was a brand I used regularly with superb results.....apart from this rogue puck!Just a thought

Broke out the Tabac that njpaddy (Brian) so kindly pifed back around Halloween, and used it this morning!

Glad you liked it. I'm still working on my puck from 2009, which is why I PIF'd my backup. I love the performance and scent, but as I get older, some soaps I used to like (Tabac & others) irritate my mild rosacea and leave my face too red to use on a regular basis.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
... It turns even my normally efficient ATT Aluminum SE1 into an unimaginably inefficient shaver requiring multiple passes in all directions. Has anyone else experienced this with Tabac and if so were you able to fix it and how?

Uh, no. Quite the opposite.

The suggestion to add more water sounds reasonable -- let us know how it goes and I hope it works out for you.
If not you've always got that great Mitchell's!

I've been using Tabac, for the first time, exclusively since the beginning of December. I don't mind the scent at all. It smells like a clean soap, nothing too fancy.

Tabac has replaced Proraso as my daily soap, and I will never buy Proraso again even though Proraso has been good to me over the years.

The main reason is because Tabac is much more slick than Proraso, giving me better protection.

I have Haslinger and MWF on deck, with other soaps on the wish list. We'll see what can topple Tabac as my daily soap.

I look forward to the variety!

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

Congratulations on discovering Tabac! I’m a hardcore Tabacaholic. I’ve tried a variety of soaps but nothing does it as well for me as Tabac. Bought 8 pucks awhile back when I found them dirt cheap on a site. Have about 2 1/2 pucks of that lot left. Great shaves every last one, and looking forward to all those shaves coming up.

Last edited:
Okay, so I got the maiden voyage today with the Tabac. It went very well. I will say that it took a lot more water to get it to its utmost potential but it was pretty great. This didn't happen...
IMG_9982.GIF

But it was still a fantastic shave!
IMG_9981.gif

K2py2t9vSsO5vXQdUqvcSw.jpg

Tabac is a decent soap, i find it a very warming scent.

Post shave feel is decent also, i picked mine up over in Germany while visiting Stuttgart and forgetting to bring any cream.

I too have become a "true believer" in Tabac...lathers easily, a fantastic shave every time, a scent that I enjoy, post shave feel is excellent. I could easily live with it as my only soap. If there is shaving in heaven (would it be heaven without it?) I feel certain that Tabac will be there (it's what all the saints use, I've heard).

I've been using Tabac, for the first time, exclusively since the beginning of December. I don't mind the scent at all. It smells like a clean soap, nothing too fancy.

Tabac has replaced Proraso as my daily soap, and I will never buy Proraso again even though Proraso has been good to me over the years.

The main reason is because Tabac is much more slick than Proraso, giving me better protection.

I have Haslinger and MWF on deck, with other soaps on the wish list. We'll see what can topple Tabac as my daily soap.

I look forward to the variety!

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

Exact same situation here.

Proraso Red used to be my daily soap for the cold months. Two weeks ago I purchased Tabac for the first time, haven't used the Proraso since. I also don't think I will purchase it again, even though it is the soap I started off with.

On a side note, just ordered SV Manna di Sicilia. Anybody got any experience with it?

Top Bottom