What's new

Tabac

Love it. Rich thick lather and love the scent. use the bath gel and A/S as well. Superior products.

If they made a beer I would buy it.

Great soap. Loads and lathers so easily that I often underwork the lather and it will dry out before I finish my last pass (crusty soap scum on face). Easy to combat if you load enough and make it nice and wet (it'll take it, it holds more water than most soaps), and still one of the best and easiest lathering soaps out there for beginners. It was the first soap that made GOOD lather for me back when I bowl lathered in a smooth bottomed bowl. I've since learned that texture = non ****ty lather, and I face lather 99.9% of the time now anyway, but still, Tabac was the ONE soap I tried back then (out of a dozen or two) which could lather in the horrible conditions I forced on it.

I didn't like or dislike the scent. With almost three years on the puck, it just smells like great shaves to me now, so I have a fondness for it. The ONLY modern soap I've ever bought a second puck of (though I've yet to need to open it).

IMO, Tabac is like fine Scotch. Once you aquire a taste for it, it becomes your standard to which everything else is compared. Although I have a dozen other soaps, I would never be without Tabac.

I've ignored Tabac so far but the constant discussing of it is making me curious. One question, though, before I buy some: Does the scent rinse off with the rest of the soap, or does it linger, noticably and for longer than, say, 30 minutes (which I don't like in a soap, with any scent)?

IMO, Tabac is like fine Scotch. Once you aquire a taste for it, it becomes your standard to which everything else is compared. Although I have a dozen other soaps, I would never be without Tabac.

Edit- Gah! Quoted the wrong post. Was referring to the one below it from nwjs!

I think the scent vanishes pretty quickly, I've never really tried to notice though.
I'm going to make a lather, leave it on my skin for a minute or two, and see how long it lasts after it's washed off. Should have an answer for you pretty soon.

I used it this morning following the method shown in Mantic's youtube video on lathering MWF. Soaking the whole puck, lathering upside down, etc. This is not necessary for getting a good lather out of Tabac but the results were very very good. I had a lot more lather in the brush when I was finished than I usually do, which may not seem like a good thing but I think it is. I like to have too much rather than a skimpy lather on the last pass.

Last edited:
Tabac is great in so many ways.

It lathers so easily.

Nice masculine scent

Reasonably priced compared to other soaps.

A puck last close to a year.

Very slick as in my Futur glides across my face.

Skin feels soft and moisturized after a shave.

Tabac is great in so many ways.

It lathers so easily.

Nice masculine scent

Reasonably priced compared to other soaps.

A puck last close to a year.

Very slick as in my Futur glides across my face.

Skin feels soft and moisturized after a shave.

I agree completely but many would debate us on the niceness of the scent. Not only do I love the scent, it brings back the best memories of the time spent with my Paternal Grandfather when I was a young boy.

I've ignored Tabac so far but the constant discussing of it is making me curious. One question, though, before I buy some: Does the scent rinse off with the rest of the soap, or does it linger, noticably and for longer than, say, 30 minutes (which I don't like in a soap, with any scent)?

I was wrong, scent lingers. A lot.
I built a lather, slathered it all over my arm and let it sit for a couple of minutes. Then washed it off.

5 min in- really strong

15 min in- still really strong

23 min in- still unmistakeably there. I sprayed some RR 888 aftershave thinking that maybe the AS kills the scent a little. Wrong.

30 min in- AS scent pretty much gone, Tabac still going strong!

Now it's been maybe 45 min to an hour since I put it on and it's still there...starting to fade but definitely not gone. I usually wear a cologne of some sort so maybe that's why I hadn't noticed. Absolutely sticks around though.

On the other hand, it felt so good lathering up my arm with it I thought I might buy a puck for showering. Looking it up they sell a bath soap, a bit pricey at $10 a bar but I think I will have to try it anyway.

Ok, thanks for experimenting, otto :thumbup1: I'll probably get some nevertheless (probably the stick, which is cheaper) because curiosity is a strong mistress...

Ok, thanks for experimenting, otto :thumbup1: I'll probably get some nevertheless (probably the stick, which is cheaper) because curiosity is a strong mistress...

No problem, I started to get curious about it myself!
Great thing about it is if you don't like it you shouldn't have a problem getting rid of it around here. I'm actually pretty curious about the stick myself, haven't tried it yet.

I'll admit I'd like to revisit the tabac again, now that I have my omega 20106 monster boar brush.....I just can't put my arko down!!!!! Seriously! And I used to have tabac in the weekly rotation.

I love it. Great lather and I do enjoy the smell. I find it mixes well with my original old spice AS. Really makes the citrus tones stand out. Though now that I have learned to lather the MWF my Tabac is rarely visited.

Top Bottom