What's new

Tabac vintage soap West Germany

I’m Italian but I’m a big fan and supporter of USA soaps artisan . DG / Grooming Dep / B&M and others really changed in better my shaving routine .

But this stuff gent … Wow This stuff comes from an other world …
stored for decades and after 20 seconds in the bowl this is the result . Slick dense leather and with a gently scent .
Nothing special about the brush, A Colonel in best .
10 x better of the last tallow version
I don't know INCI but but I'm sure I've used worse things 😄
I hope you like the photos
Good Sunday everyone

D0F2A993-0A1F-4BBB-9580-8BD4DB8CD8A6.jpeg

B4FBD2BE-7D5B-4304-880E-C56F533188CA.jpeg

18A095D5-B029-4466-972D-4870EBA284D4.jpeg
3F5FB356-F69B-4EB1-A5E9-E64ED77863D2.jpeg
91D8634C-1BC1-4765-A3BD-DC7B8011E953.jpeg

I’m Italian but I’m a big fan and supporter of USA soaps artisan . DG / Grooming Dep / B&M and others really changed in better my shaving routine .

But this stuff gent … Wow This stuff comes from an other world …
stored for decades and after 20 seconds in the bowl this is the result . Slick dense leather and with a gently scent .
Nothing special about the brush, A Colonel in best .
10 x better of the last tallow version
I don't know INCI but but I'm sure I've used worse things 😄
I hope you like the photos
Good Sunday everyone

View attachment 1504665
View attachment 1504666
View attachment 1504669View attachment 1504667View attachment 1504668
I 100% agree with you. Tallow Tabac is a fantastic soap. I like modern artisan soaps too, but many days, I prefer tallow Tabac. It whips up such a high quality lather with minimal effort.

I 100% agree with you. Tallow Tabac is a fantastic soap. I like modern artisan soaps too, but many days, I prefer tallow Tabac. It whips up such a high quality lather with minimal effort.
What CJB3 said. IMHO, the lather performance of tallow Tabac easily holds up with the majority of the best modern artisan soaps...

See you on Tuesday 😉

(I pause in August due to hosting "All Aventus August", but I'll chime in in September again. Can’t wait... 😀).

Dreiring the manufacturer went insolvent but neither their shaving soap lineup nor the government/EU was a big factor for their failure.

The manufacturer of Tabac (and 4711 and others, Mäurer & Wirtz) didn't went insolvent and I doubt it ever will be.

Dreiring belonged to Henkel and was then sold off to Dalli who sourced the Dreiring plant out as a contract manufacturing plant (mostly for no-name labels of discounters, supermarkets or drug stores). Dreiring was sold by Dalli to Kappus (then the biggest soap manufacturer in Western Europe) in 2005 which went insolvent due to mismanagement of an old fart who dindn't want to accept that the world is changing in 2018, 2020 it was saved by an investor from Munich. The Company was restructured. The Dreiring plant was closed down finally in January 2020.

But all that has absolutely nothing to do with Tabac (except that it is connected to Dalli, the CEO of Dalli is Hermann Wirtz).

Last edited:
The manufacturer of Tabac (and 4711 and others, Mäurer & Wirtz) didn't went insolvent and I doubt it ever will be.

Dreiring belonged to Henkel and was then sold off to Dalli who sourced the Dreiring plant out as a contract manufacturing plant (mostly for no-name labels of discounters, supermarkets or drug stores). Dreiring was sold to Kappus (then the biggest soap manufacturer in Western Europe) in 2005 which went insolvent due to mismanagement of an old fart who dindn't want to accept that the world is changing in 2018, 2020 it was saved by an investor from Munich. The Company was restructured. The Dreiring plant was closed down finally in January 2020.

But all that has absolutely nothing to do with Tabac.
Only as far as Dreiring produced the tallow formula Tabac and after their closure M&W had to move to another manufacturer which only provided a vegan base for it…

Tabac is and was produced in Stolberg by Mäurer & Wirz since the 1950s, never by Dreiring.
The scent and brand yes, the tallow soap not.

But, according to German government and the EU this stuff was supposed to be skin cancer in a bowl and pure poison.

The change of the formula to the current vegan base had nothing to do with the German government nor the EU but with the insolvency of the manufacturer Dreiring which I tried to convey in my post.

The scent and brand yes, the tallow soap not.

Nope. Ask them.

The change of the formula to the current vegan base had nothing to do with the German government nor the EU but with the insolvency of the manufacturer Dreiring which I tried to convey in my post.

I never said that. I was referring to the old soaps from the 1980s.

The change of the new non-tallow formula (not sure if it's really vegan) was a necessity of the market, because in Germany we tend to prefer non-tallow soaps since a couple of years, and also due to disputes regarding animal farming etc.

Nope. Ask them.

I never said that. I was referring to the old soaps from the 1980s.

The change of the new non-tallow formula (not sure if it's really vegan) was a necessity of the market, because in Germany we tend to prefer non-tallow soaps since a couple of years, and also due to disputes regarding animal farming etc.
Dreiring produced for M&W Tabac shaving (and body/bath) soaps on a contractual basis. You recounted the history and end of Dreiring earlier yourself.

The move away from tallow is indeed a European thing but many soap producers could cope with it - Dreiring could not.

M&W is a parfume house so the soaps are really a niche in their product line. As this is the shaving soap sub forum for sure people lament the demise of Tallow Tabac without taking away the success of other M&W products.

M&W is a parfume house so the soaps are really a niche in their product line. As this is the shaving soap sub forum for sure people lament the demise of Tallow Tabac without taking away the success of other M&W products.

You are so funny. Everybody knows that they are foremost soapmakers, and they started as such in 1845. The first Tabac product was a bar soap (1951), not a fragrance by itself.

Top Bottom