What's new

tabac vegan formula worth purchasing?

I know there have been past reviews on this new formula mainly from last year. Has anyone purchased this soap recently? care to give your thoughts on it and if it is worth buying at least once? has anyone purchased tabac refill puck on amazon? do you know if amazon has the newer vegan formula or do they still sell left over tallow tabac refill pucks? thanks

I have both, and I reach for the tallow 7/10 times...The vegan one has a stronger and kind of a synthetic scent to it, but it's easy to lather, and a bit softer as well.
If you can't find the tallow version anymore, the vegan one will work just fine.

I have both, and I reach for the tallow 7/10 times...The vegan one has a stronger and kind of a synthetic scent to it, but it's easy to lather, and a bit softer as well.
If you can't find the tallow version anymore, the vegan one will work just fine.
vegan version is not a triple milled soap like the tabac tallow?

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Having been rabbit hole/purchase heavy early on Tabac was something that I read about frequently and always thought about getting but for one reason or another continued to kick it down the road. I did purchase a stick (non tallow) this year. It performs fine, smells great and I'm happy with it. Could it be lacking by not being tallow formula, quite possibly. Is in essential in my shave den from here on out? No.

I’ve never tried the Tallow version, only the veg formula. I love it. I will never not have one in my “den”. Lathers easily, performs great and, I grew to really love the scent. I’m speaking of the puck. Never tried the stick. I say go for it. Unless you’re in love with the tallow version I doubt you’ll be disappointed. Give it a chance. 5 shaves at least.

I picked up 2 sticks recently when some website had a sale. I have 2 tallow pucks, 1 tallow stick and now the 2 veggie sticks. For me, the new stuff is still great. I'll always have some around in my rotation.

I know there have been past reviews on this new formula mainly from last year. Has anyone purchased this soap recently? care to give your thoughts on it and if it is worth buying at least once? has anyone purchased tabac refill puck on amazon? do you know if amazon has the newer vegan formula or do they still sell left over tallow tabac refill pucks? thanks
Hi Jon, I purchased a Vegan Tabac puck a couple of months ago from Connaught Shaving and it is excellent. Lathers easily and the lather is slick, creamy and long lasting. Aroma, while really strong when opened, quickly dissipates to a pleasant level. If you need enough from Connaught to hit their 60 GBP free airshipping to the U.S. threshold Tabac is a bargain at 5.75 GBP ex VAT for the refill puck or 10 GBP for the soap in a jar.

Note that this is a hard soap but it is somewhat malleable with some effort versus a Williams or Mitchell's Wool Fat that are rock solid.

Ugh, I just learned about the reformulation after receiving 3 new refill pucks and 2 shaving sticks. I was cautiously optimistic and gave it a go this morning. The lather and the shave itself was good, but I could feel my face start to tingle after the first pass. By the end of the third pass, my face was pretty lit up :-(

I'll be posting for sale 3 new pucks and an unused shave stick for sale. I'm gutted.

My shaving soap (genuine Tabac) ran out at the beginning of December and I had to try the new fake version. At the time I was not aware that Tabac (or rather MW) had changed the recipe. Therefore, I initially thought there was something wrong with the particular soap I received, so I bought another one. But that soap didn't work either. And now I have found out why!

I've used Tabac almost daily for about 10 years. The new soap certainly does not behave like the old one. It doesn't even seem triple milled? I can already tell the new soap will NOT last as long as the old. Much softer, more sensitive to water. Can't even reach the correct density of lather no matter how hard I try. Less residual slickness. The fragrance is off, the color is wrong. It simply does not perform like the old one. Something has definitely changed. Now it's just an average soap. Will never buy this crap again. It should be illegal to call this new soap Tabac.

Last edited:
I've read some say it's just as good but have not tried the new stuff. Tabac is my go to for straights and de stuff. I have a puck or two of MWF stashed but know Tabac was my one true lol. I hope someone chimes in.

I saw a youtube video where one guy shaves half of his face with old and other half with new Tabac. Lather is slightly different, you can see it in video, but performance is the same.

I think I have to disagree with the change of smell. Although I did not use the tallow soap personally (only the vegan version), my grandfather exclusively used tabac when shaving. The first time I smelled the non-tallow version I was immediately taken back to those times, so I believe the scent hasn't changed significantly.

I've read some say it's just as good but have not tried the new stuff. Tabac is my go to for straights and de stuff. I have a puck or two of MWF stashed but know Tabac was my one true lol. I hope someone chimes in.
I get the impression of like 60/40 think tallow is better and the rest think it's the same...having stashed a few tallow pucks I have no interest in finding out for myself.

I get the impression of like 60/40 think tallow is better and the rest think it's the same...having stashed a few tallow pucks I have no interest in finding out for myself.
Yeah, when I heard they changed the formula of Tabac, I bought 2 tallow refill pucks. I have most of a tallow puck in the milk glass bowl and 3/4 of a tallow stick. I don't use Tabac every shave by any means, but it's been a really good constant for me over the years. I've been caught by changing formulations with other soaps. Not this time.

I may try the veggie Tabac at some point just to see, but I'm not in a hurry.

I don't have the best nose, but to me, the veggie and tallow tabac smell exactly the same. Both versions lather very easily.
I tried Tabac for the first time last month and I love it! I like the scent and the lather is fantastic. My online supplier is still carrying the Tallow version so I purchased the ceramic bowl and a refill puck. I'll give the new version a try at some point.

Top Bottom