What's new

Tabac stick - where have you been all my life?

The idea of lathering directly on one's face with a soap stick is just a great idea IMO. What better way to prep than applying a layer of soap directly to the bristle, and then developing the lather directly on that same bristle? Genius.
I've yet to come across a soap stick I don't enjoy, in contrast to soap pucks which are hit or miss for me. So I'm trying to find a crap one.
:001_huh:
I've tried Arko, Palmolive, LaToja and Speick. My inventory is now 12, 2, 1, 3 sticks respectively. Already many year's worth and I'll be collecting a few more LaTojas directly from Spain soon!
Next up - Tabac.
Two shaves into this monster and I've found yet another winner. In fact it's probably a tie between it and La Toja for the top spot.
It feels right in the hand due to its robust dispenser. Its large diameter feels better on the face than all others. Its formulation is similar to Arko and LaToja, whereas I find Palmolive and especially Speick to be *a bit* too hard and rough unless they are dipped in the water first. And the fragrance is excellent. It's not a million miles away from LaToja fragrance-wise, but perhaps a tad more powdery and somehow old-fashioned smelling (in the best way).
Performance-wise it's without fault. So, just a word of thanks to Mäurer & Wirtz for sticking with the formula for decades. It ain't broke. DON'T FIX IT.
Of all the 5 sticks I've now tried, the only one I'll probably not continue with is the Palmolive. It's mostly wonderful, but for some reason I find it too gloopy (for want of a better word). When I load up with plenty of soap, it's the only one of the 5 that clogs very quickly between the safety bar and the blade of my R41, all the way along the blade. And consistent with that, it's the only one that needs quite a bit more effort to remove from my face - easily 1-2 extra passes of the blade to get down to the shaven skin.
Anyone else find that with Palmolive (I'm speaking of the stick made for the German market)?

A final question:
Please suggest what others I can try, and enlighten me if there is truly a dud stick out there in the market somewhere?

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Here's a couple but not duds. If you like the Tabac, see if you can find some Irisch Moos. Same manufacturer, same soap, different scent. Also give the Williams South African stick a whirl, excellent soap unlike the American puck, rose scented. You can get it from Shaveabuck.

I haven't tried it, but if you like Mystic Waters, IIRC they sell sticks.

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• $IMG_1796.jpg
    $IMG_1796.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 183
If you are getting goop from your Palmolive you are not adding enough water and building enough before you start shaving.

Each stick will want a different amount of water but all of they like LOTS of water.

I build until it starts falling off my face, then dip and go at it some more.

proxy.php

Recommendation: Lea. Very close to La Toja but with tendencies towards MWF, but please MWF lovers don't decapitate me its only my personal opinion and I love MWF.

Last edited:
Have you read Luc's Shave Sticks Review Project thread? It will give you some more good choices to consider.
I have read it in detail, thank you. I cannot understand why LaToja didn't work for Luc. I think it's at the top of the pile. But I did learn that Wilkinson Sword is one for me to try if I can track some down.
But what a great resource to have, thanks to his strict approach to trying all under similar conditions. The photos really helped too.

I'm anxiously waiting for my tabac and la toja sticks in the mail. I was sick of wait for west coast shaving to replenish their stock I went elsewhere.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I haven't tried La Toja because of the mineral salts. I've had some adverse reactions to alum in the past and if the mineral salts are actually alum then it may cause me irritation. I've been nervous about it for that reason. I do have a Tabac stick and I agree completely. I also have Arko, Speick, a D.R. Harris Windsor stick, and a stick of Palmolive. I think Speick is my favorite stick right now. I've been wanting to try Wilkinson and Valobra but haven't gotten around to them yet.

As a somewhat odd note, I specifically gifted away my puck of Windsor to get the stick. Partially because I also love shave sticks, but not entirely. I love a nice wooden bowl, but the stain from the D.R. Harris bowl left dark marks on my white countertop which didn't clean away easily. Came across as a cheaply made bowl. I'd recommend getting D.R. Harris in stick form for this reason alone.

Last edited:
Top Bottom