What's new

Tabac Stick - Homemade

I made a tabac stick myself this morning, and when I went to post some pics I saw this thread- so, I'll just post here!

I simply used a spoon to dig out the remaining 50% of a puck I"ve been using, rolled the soap into a basic cylinder shape, and crammed it into a spent MB tube without much regard to the stick. Then, I pressed quite hard for a while with my thumb all over the top and here are my results. The malleability of the Tabac made things pretty easy. Now, if this just WORKS like it should I'll be a happy fellow. Regards to all!

Dave

Well that certainly appears easier than grating the soap. Let us know how well it works!

Well done, it looks great and it will work fine, I know it.

Well that certainly appears easier than grating the soap. Let us know how well it works!

Glad to report that it worked very well. I was a little worried about the soap falling apart while I rubbed it on my beard, but it worked just like a good soap stick should, and I got a great shave!

BTW, the reason I did this in the first place is that I'm one of those folks who has decided a closer shave is possible when you use a stick (presumably b/c the action lifts whiskers better than other methods).

Good day,

Dave

V

VR6ofpain

I finally found a deodorant with the push up type container. I guess I will have to try some Brut deodorant.
That particular deo stick (the cylinder push up Brut) is excellent. Definitely the best American made deo stick IMO. Second only to the Tabac deo stick.

That particular deo stick (the cylinder push up Brut) is excellent. Definitely the best American made deo stick IMO. Second only to the Tabac deo stick.

I was properly corrected several weeks ago. The twist ups work very well if you grate the soap and pack it in with your fingers. You just work around the center twist up screw. I had great success (grate success) with Pre de Provence using this method.

Inspired by the previous posts, I made my own Tabac shave stick today. I grated the soap and just mashed it down. I used a "screw" type deodorant bottle and it seems to work well. It goes up and down easily. The only problem is that I still have a small amount of soap left. I'll use it tomorrow and report.

The Tabac stick I made yesterday worked absolutely perfectly! Without a doubt, it was my best shave with Tabac. I'm seriously considering turning all of my soaps into shave sticks. Thanks to everyone for posting their methods. I couldn't be happier with my Tabac conversion!

The Tabac stick I made yesterday worked absolutely perfectly! Without a doubt, it was my best shave with Tabac. I'm seriously considering turning all of my soaps into shave sticks. Thanks to everyone for posting their methods. I couldn't be happier with my Tabac conversion!

I wasn't quite as crafty, I just bought an actual Tabac shave stick, but like you I love it. It's my only shave stick. I sold Erasmic and Speick and also PIF'd one of each as well.

This thread is a little old, but I thought I would revive it in honor of my new Provence Sante Green Tea stick. I made it from a PSGT puck and a push-up Brut deodorant stick. I thought the green plastic of the Brut stick would match the green tea soap.

I wasn't as sophisticated as Joe was. After cleaning out the remains of the deodorant and removing the Brut label, I simply pushed the base into the center of the puck, which broke around it. That filled up about a third of the container. To fill the rest, I broke off bits and pieces of the puck and smashed them into the container. It was a messy process, but viscerally satisfying.

There is still a bit of the puck left - perhaps 10-20% of the original. Anyway, I'm looking forward to trying the new stick.

Mblakele - go and get 'em. I've changed my technique a bit with these non-glycerin soaps. No need to heat them or bother with a double boiler. Just grate, add a few drops of water, and hand pack into your empty tube. Works like a charm. Enjoy!

I saw someone on another forum use a "Chef'n" garlic press to press a perfect self-supporting stick (like how a Valobra stick is). I'm thinking of making a similar press the same size as the West Coast Shaving twist-up sticks to make a few soap sticks.

Here's that user's picture:

proxy.php

That's a garlic press? Here I am thinking an entire head of garlic might be excessive in one dish - but that shames me.

excellent thread! I have read the entire journey from 2007 to 2009! A wealth of knowledge for my own shave stick experiments.

Top Bottom